Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
extended service contracts

I received two letters fom Dometic today offering extended warranty on our a/c and refrigerator.

Do any of you who have bought new units have opinions, good or bad concerning the extended service contracts by them.

Thanks in advance for your info.

Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
You might find out how long your warranty lasts. It should be 3 years. We bought an 05 and we have a three year warranty on the AC and Frig. from Dometic. We also got an extended 7 year warranty through our dealer and they have been great.....
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
All I have to say falls into the realm of personal preference. The seven year transferable extended warranty covering the whole rig was a selling point when we purchased our previously enjoyed unit. We still had five and a half years remaining at the point of purchase. Product failure has necessitated its use one time.

As to the extended warranties offered by individual appliance manufacturers, I might use the same logic I did in the stick house, i.e., I would buy it on whatever type of appliance that I would have in my stick house. I am not a big fan of appliance extended warranties.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had the extended warranty on our Montana. The refrigerator went bad and was covered under the extended warranty. It got us a new refrigerator (minus our $50 deductible). We purchased an extended warranty on the new refrigerato giving us 6 years of full coverage (parts & labor).

I can't advise anyone to purchase extended warranties. Every person is different and has different likes and dislikes. I personally like the peace of mind I have with the extended warranty coverage.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I bought the extended warranty from my dealership that covers everything bumper to bumper for a full 7 years. Just bought it in March of 05 so I have a while to go. I was more comfortable buying the extended warranty for the full coach rather than just certain items. Just my feeling and opinion.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am a fan of GOOD extended warranties, You of course need to do your homework to find a good one,Montana Sky..What is the name of the company for your B to B warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
I went with a company called "The Choice" protection plans. They have different coverage options you can choose from. I have 2 very good friends who both work at different rv dealerships than my Montana dealer, they both suggest and sell this warranty. As I said, my plan is a 7 year plan and the 7 years started the day of purchase of the warranty-not the coach. You can buy this warranty as long as the original Keystone warranty is still in effect. Do not have to buy at time of purchase of the coach. I waited until the month before my Keystone warranty expired and bought this one so I actually ended up with an 8 yr warranty on my coach. The deductible for my plan is $50.00

Also just a side note in case you are interested, I also went with Coach-Net for my roadside service plan. I think you already said you had a rs plan but, just in case. The phone number is 800-863-6740
Old 01-28-2006, 12:48 AM   #8
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
If you read trailer life magazine you see that a lot of people have problems with their extended warranties not covering one thing or the other this is usually caused by the owner of the repairing service center not following the proper channels for getting the warranty work approved. They are picky when it comes to the way warranty work is done and if you follow the information on your warranty paper work you should be okay, and I also purchased the extended warranty but have not had a reason to use it. Good luck
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:23 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Extended warranties if not mistaken are similar to those sold by auto dealers, a selling point. They are matter of preference like stated before. My dealer did not push it one way or the other but did mention it. Friend of mine owns a auto dealership and that's how he makes extra profit as well. Not all extended warranties are what they seem, be careful in choosing a good one. If you will read most all the warranties on separate appliances and motors etc that have different mfg you will see that most go out past the 1 year that Keystone has. It's all personal choice for me I will keep it in my pocket instead of giving to dealer selling the warranty.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:04 AM   #10
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
For sure, an extended warranty is only as good as your dealer. Montana Sky and I have the same warranty and the same dealership and they have been outstanding.
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
My first thought was exactly the same as that of "glass guy" above. The most disturbing stories I have read in Trailer Life's "RV Action Life" and Good Sam's "Highways" 'Action Line' have had to do with extended warranties that have refused to pay because of various technicalities that were clearly in the contract (fine print, of course).

These are also the stories that most often do not end in a happy resolution. These companies seem, for the most part, to be skillful in interpretation favorable to themselves and 'hard nosed' when it comes to mediation.

Reading a few of these sad stories might be good preparation for the decision about extended warranties. Just an observation and from only one point of view.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for the info Montana Sky..we will check it out.And you DO have to be very careful. I would ask for a copy of the contract..if they will not give you one..end of conversation. If they will, and the reputable ones WILL..read it ..and if you don't understand it it is worth 25 or 50 $ to let a attorney read it for you. One major failure and the warranty pays for it self...

Montana Sky.Nothing comes up on Google..do you have a web site address or more information???

NOTE Good Sam on line quote for the 06 3400RL 353.15 per year..Does that sound right?????
Old 01-28-2006, 07:49 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I also have been extremely wary of extended warranties on anything. We did end up getting ext warranties on our W/D, dishwasher in our stick house. We used Sears. Raising 5 kids, we got money back, as the Good Book says, "30, 60, 100 fold". Sears was aboslutely GREAT! I wonder if the do work on RV appliances?

Also, I am wary of auto extended warranties. Only got one once at the strong recommendation of my cousin, who is a used car mgr. I have bought several cars from him. When I bought my wifes 2000 S10 Blazer, with 40K on it, he took me aside and told me to get the ext warranty on this one. At about 100K, he said, the trans will have problems. At 99,765 miles the trans went out. Took it in and after $2,650 of work, I paid my $100 deductible, thanked my cousin profusely, and drove home - still wary. Need to get VERY solid dependable advice on these things before diving in, thinking life is great. Advice given above is excellent.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
I only have a number for their claims dept, all of the info is in my coach. I am sure they could either answer your questions or transfer you to someone who could. Here is that number, 1-888-547-9807.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #15
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Thanks to all for your input on this topic. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. I think I will hold off on warranty plans for individual appliances and do further research on bumper to bumper warranties. It makes better sense to me. Since my rig is new I don't need to decide today.

Thanks again.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:11 AM   #16
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I do not have extended warrenty on any home products and have not bought service contracts on my Hospital Laboratory instruments. I find that I can repair them myself or hire it done on a case by case basis much cheaper.
I bought a 7-year bumper to bumper from my dealer so I would not have to deal with individual situations later.
As the RV ages I will look as each item to see if the warranty would be valuable.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We are not a big Fan of the Ext warranty.Our heater broke, went to get it repaired and NO Warranty well cost me $300. and now I have a Ext one cost me a little more cause I let the orignal run out. Just bought a new car and they thru in the 6 yr ext warranty. bet I payed for it some where...but they said it was included.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This goes here not in Insurance thread..Does anyone have the Rvprotection plan for the extended warranty..Just got off the phone with a Rep.. see www.rvprotection.net
Old 02-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #19
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We bought from RV Protection and so far have had a good relationship with Scott. we did wait to long and our orig. had run out so it cost us a little more they call it used. the company did come out and inspect the RV at there cost to insure that all was good then there is no question of the claim. But from rading the contract and what is covered it was a good buy for us, there are several companys that are selling the same policies
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a long talk with Scott today..was not impressed.