Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
New Montana buying questions

Hi All,
Hiedi and I thank you for the welcoming comments.
We are having a bumpy start with our purchase. A few weeks ago we agreed to purchase a 2020 3810ms Montana. Awesome! Dealer here in Santee, just outside San Diego proper. I downloaded the PDI sheet here and went through the trailer! Found a lot of sloppy puddy job throughout lots of little seems and mounding coming off. All of the usual things i read on this forum. Here’s wher iit gets interesting. While testing the slide where the recliners are while they brought slider in a bolt head or something gouged our floor. After they agreed to fix all of our punch list and now the floor we were pressured sorta into sign paperwork. That’s when everything changed. Pace slowed and we found out that our flooring would take at least a couple weeks. Meanwhile we are paying for something we don’t have?? Does this sound right?? We were told they couldn’t do a warranty on the floor without signing paperwork? My question is why is it a warranty when it’s brand new and he told us it’s really not yours until we drive it through the gate. Has anyone had experiences like this? I’m open to feedback.
Bob and Hiedi

Tree guy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bob and Hiedi,

Walk away and tell them you will purchase it when it is fixed.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They signed the paperwork wonder what kind of paperwork that was. If they have not signed purchase paperwork walk away. "he told us it’s really not yours until we drive it through the gate. " It is yours when you signed the purchase paperwork .If you signed it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
Unfortunately it was the purchase contract. I knew better but trusted and the guy gave me his word it would all be taken care of. The problem is that from the time we have signed the work and communication has slowed. It’s kinda like getting paid before you finish a job. Something just doesn’t feel right.
How is it warranty when they broke it?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Not a dealer I would want to work with. When we do a purchase, I have the dealership fill the fresh water tank, and hook us up to power. We then spend a full day in the rig, working everything. We leave the frig on overnight. Come in the next morning, with our punchdown list if we decide to buy.. After all is fixed, then and only then do we sign the purchase contract. We still miss things but have a much better start. If the dealer is hesitant to allow us to do this routine, we walk. Unfortunately, you are now having to fight with the dealer and Keystone to get things moving. Although you signed the purchase contract, if you have not yet given them a check, don't.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
This may be premature, but at the same time you want to protect yourself and your investment
RV lemon law
https://rvlemonlaw.com
Lemon law. Interesting article...
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=40124
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Take it back and drop it crossways in their driveway. Tell them when it's fixed you'll start paying again.

Dealers really piss me off.

Mark
Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I signed before the walkthrough, man did I screw myself. After I signed and found the unit was a demo, was broken into, stole the TV, CW in Idaho tried to cover it up but I knew the 32 inch TV they were passing off a OE was not right, I started to get upset.

Never again !! Took 6 months to fix everything including changing the carpet it was so bad !! I did get a free washer and dryer out of it but would rather of known before I signed would have asked for a different unit !!!
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree guy bob View Post
Unfortunately it was the purchase contract. I knew better but trusted and the guy gave me his word it would all be taken care of. The problem is that from the time we have signed the work and communication has slowed. It’s kinda like getting paid before you finish a job. Something just doesn’t feel right.
How is it warranty when they broke it?
The purchase contract is a legal document if you choose to take forum advise and not pay them I would first seek legal advise.

There is a lesson learned here in how to purchase a RV you do not write a check till any issue is corrected to the buyers satisfaction.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
Yup. I knew better. I read it all here. I inspected every possible item on or in rv. We did have a significant punch list. In fact we were told there was no one close to as many items to fix or address. I told them i wasn’t comfortable signing till everything was right. They said to get keystone to warranty it we would need to sign paperwork. Was that untrue? In the end I should have held my ground and not signed. I think everything will work out I just don’t appreciate the lack of communication or lag on getting parts. I feel like if we hadn’t signed we’d be finished by now.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
In the grand scheme of things many items my wife asked to be fixed are small cosmetic and in some cases i thought was a little picky but thes looking out for us. Mechanically it’s good. I mentioned the gauge in floor which was the main thing. It’s been 1.5 weeks and we will probably have it ready for pick up so like 3 weeks that includes parts delivery etc. my main complaint is paying for something i haven’t taken possession of through no fault of my own. The communication could be a lot better. Again back to signing paperwork before delivery...
Old 01-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It might be worthwhile to get a lawyer. You shouldn't have had to sign anything for them to fix it, they would have had to fix it whether you bought it or not.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #13
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I would take this as lesson learned. By the time you get a lawyer to serve some sort of paper you will probably have taken delivery. I would talk to the general manager of the dealership and try to get the warranty started the day of delivery instead of the day of signing even though they are saying they are using your warranty to fix the rv. Can you imagine this happening with your truck purchase. Keystone is only as good as there dealerships and there is a bunch of bad ones and you seem to have one. Hope you have better luck in the future.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
I agree with Dick. Legal advice would be a good idea. Also keep the pressure on the dealer. Maybe a local media outlet might have a consumer advocate to help put public pressure on. My $.02 is that I think that you should keep going at them until you are satisfied. But after that, I would put that dealer in the rear view mirror and if ever mentioned tell your story.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #15
Sdgood1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23720
Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I would take this as lesson learned. By the time you get a lawyer to serve some sort of paper you will probably have taken delivery. I would talk to the general manager of the dealership and try to get the warranty started the day of delivery instead of the day of signing even though they are saying they are using your warranty to fix the rv. Can you imagine this happening with your truck purchase. Keystone is only as good as there dealerships and there is a bunch of bad ones and you seem to have one. Hope you have better luck in the future.
And the dealerships are only as good as KEYSTONE!! If they made a better product or maybe cared a little more, then the dealers wouldn’t have to fix as much?? iMHO

Steven & Denise
New to us 2014 3150RL
Chino Valley, AZ
Sdgood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I also agree with Dick. Nothing like a letter from a lawyer to make a business of any kind straighten their act up!

This is also a very good lesson on why you should never ever sign anything until you have done a very through PDI and EVERYTHING is fixed. Nothing gets a dealership busy like a unit waiting on repairs BEFORE the bottom line is signed. Not signing is the only real leverage you have as a buyer. Once they have your John Hancock you are more or less at their mercy!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:40 PM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
every camper we have bought we went through it and made a list for them to fix. Then we verified it before we signed the paperwork. Not sure how you could use the word awesome describing them.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #18
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Why not take delivery with the understanding the floor and other small warranty can be done at a later date, then you schedule to bring it back for immediate warranty service. The issue may not be the dealer but Keystone. Our 3791RD has been sitting at the dealer for 2 months now just waiting for Keystone to ship pats needed for warranty in our case the big delay is the wood counter top on the read den that has a split. For us in the NW and the RV not being used is fine with us, however any other time of year wold have been frustrating.

In fact our warranty ended Nov 27th 2019 and it is now Jan 2020 and no work done yet however Keystone extended the time allowed for work to be completed.

This is just the way Keystone works, dealers also suffer due to this.

I would assume the dealer also wants the RV gone to make room for more to sell, so it may not just be the dealer
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #19
usandacat

M.O.C. #15938
So how long have they had it ? Sounds like a couple weeks, and yall talking lawyers and stuff.

Yes, it sucks that they have your camper after you signed on the dotted line. But, just stop by and talk to them. Let them know how you feel. Odds are you will need them again. Leave the lawyer part out.

A face to face is much better than a call. See how they handle it, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.
usandacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #20
Ml barber
Established Member

M.O.C. #24308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree guy bob View Post
Hi All,
Hiedi and I thank you for the welcoming comments.
We are having a bumpy start with our purchase. A few weeks ago we agreed to purchase a 2020 3810ms Montana. Awesome! Dealer here in Santee, just outside San Diego proper. I downloaded the PDI sheet here and went through the trailer! Found a lot of sloppy puddy job throughout lots of little seems and mounding coming off. All of the usual things i read on this forum. Here’s wher iit gets interesting. While testing the slide where the recliners are while they brought slider in a bolt head or something gouged our floor. After they agreed to fix all of our punch list and now the floor we were pressured sorta into sign paperwork. That’s when everything changed. Pace slowed and we found out that our flooring would take at least a couple weeks. Meanwhile we are paying for something we don’t have?? Does this sound right?? We were told they couldn’t do a warranty on the floor without signing paperwork? My question is why is it a warranty when it’s brand new and he told us it’s really not yours until we drive it through the gate. Has anyone had experiences like this? I’m open to feedback.
Bob and Hiedi
Bought a new 2018 301 from lazydays and after talking to dozens more purchasers of camping rigs in the last 10 years they all agree to never again pay for and take ownership of an rv until every thing is 100 percent complete. Once they are working on your dime. You get put on back burner while they work on other new rigs until they get there money. I eventually after 6 months got my rig completed. But while they sat on it my warranty was 6 months older only leaving me 6 months left on it. Neither lazy days or Montana would extend it .if I didn't close on it work would have been done in 1 month and I'd have a full 1 year warranty. But I love my rig. And fixed things out of warranty myself.
Ml barber is offline   Reply With Quote