Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Turn residential fridge off?

I took my unit to dealer yesterday for some work and I forgot to turn the residential fridge off. Seems I am always in a campground or hooked to shore power at the house and I have never turned it off.

What is the proper way to turn it off the fridge and insure it is not drawing power. Unit will be at dealer for the next 4 days. They are open today and I can go there and they will let me turn everything off. I do not have a battery disconnect switch on the negative wire that has been discussed here.

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
To insure no power is getting to the refer, turn off the circuit breaker.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Thanks for the info. I went out there but it was moved to the back lot and was so close to the next unit there was no way to open the door or get the steps out - so i turned off the red key in the convenience center and the switch on the battery red wire. Hope it helped. Ill call service in the morning and see if they can check it.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #4
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
The red key in convenience center is for 12V only. The Switch on the red battery cable should be the right thing as that is going to the inverter that the fridge is plugged into. So that killed the inverter which would have powered the fridge. My question is since your always on shore power did you even have the inverter on? If not then the fridge would power off as soon as shore power was disconnected. At least my 2019 3791 is that way.
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Fridge

Yes - I have an inverter. The first time I brought the unit home I thought about turning the fridge off but decided to leave it on since it as plugged into shore power. I figured both fridges in the house run 24-7...I’ll just let this one run also. My past RVs all had propane-electric RV fridges and I always turned them off and propped the door open for storage.

Turning off the breaker (as suggested in post #2) sounds best to me - I should have done that before I took it in. I will give it a good wipe down when I pick it up later this week.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy