Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Pin Box Replacement

Am about to replace OEM pin box LIPP1716 with either Trail Air $898, Morryde $646, or 5th Airbourne $898. I have a B&W Companion hitch and don't plan to change hitches. I know all 3 pin boxes are good, but is one the best, or is it just that everyone is so happy to cut down on the chucking and bouncing that their's is the best.

Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I love my Morryde, it works so well, couldn't be happier with it. If I thought spending more money would be better, ride-wise, I would have gone to another more expensive unit.
So... my vote is:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...de-pin-box.htm
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have the 5th Airborne. Did not have a lot of chucking to begin with and the 5th AB eliminated virtually all there was. And watching in my rear view mirror, I can see the trailer moving up and down somewhat independent of the truck as the air bag absorbs some of the shock of the up and down movements over bumps. Seems to make the truck ride smoother also.
Well worth the money in my opinion.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Look in the FOR SALE section, grumpy has the morryde for sale....
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I would go with the Glide-Ride from Demco...for about $680 from Tweety's.

When we ordered our Big Sky we had it configured with the MorRyde. After a couple of days of pulling we wanted our Glide Ride back. Just our opinion...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Can`t tell you how much we love our Trail Air. I`t slides and also has the air ride.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
5th Airbourne sure gives a good ride. Ride on air no just slid back and forth.
Love my 5th Airbourne and would do it again
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If you have never used an air hitch or hitch pin you will be amazed at the difference in ride and the lack of stress on your trailer. I bought the MorRyde pin early on and then added the Trailer Saver Air hitch. I feel this is a very good, if not best, combination. I would opt for an air bag hitch pin if you don't have an air hitch.....BTW, I see no reason for both....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We had the Trail-air tri glide installed. Wished we had done that years ago.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Installed the Trail-Air. Money.... You get what you pay for. Never looked back. Very satisfied!
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
We installed the Trailair pin box on our previous SOB and when ordering the Monty a year ago we went with the MorRyde to see how it compared. The Trailair has about 2 inches of up/down buffering at the pin according to their web site. You can order the air bag based on your pin weight. The MorRyde claims up to 3 inches for/aft buffering. The best test we found for how well the units worked to reduce chucking was on those concrete highways that have the joints every so many feet.
I would say the Trailair provided more vertical cushioning to the trailer pin box and the MorRyde was better at reducing the front to back chucking in the tow vehicle.
The difference in trailer construction and length may have been a factor as well since the new Montana is 4 feet longer and about 2500 pounds heavier. Bottom line is that we are very happy with the MorRyde. It being less expensive is a bonus. With the TrailAir I also had to tweak the air pressure in the air bag at times if there was a considerable change in air temperature. Same as tire air pressure with temp change. And I found there was some air loss over time and needed to air up every so many months. No big deal. Also because the Trailair is in a full angle down position when hitching, I tended to follow a modified hitching routine having the TrailAir slightly low while hitching allowing the tow vehicle hitch plate to force the TrailAir up into a more horizontal plane to engage.
The MorRyde requires no adjustments and hitching/unhitching is same as a standard pin box.

Good luck with your decision
Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is a good video explaining the Morryde anti-chucking system.

The thing to remember is that it is designed only for chucking, the start-stop jerking action, it also gives relief for some side to side cushioning.
For suspension action, the up and down forces, I bought a Husky air-box system, it has 2 big Firestone air bags, I keep them at 90#, we can look back and see the Monte 'Floating' as we hit bumps.
I am very happy with the combination of the two, as they are each designed for the two different dampening conditions we encounter when on the highways. As the highways deteriorate each year, you need to do something protect your tow vehicle and your 5th wheel.
I can't comment on the other methods of protection because I haven't tried them, but having two large air bags in the Husky, seems to be the right engineering for the pin weights we have.
Remember in any system, get the right hitch for the weights you have, there are many different ratings.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
X 2 what Larry had to say best money ever Spent! Tri Glide!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Ours is also the Trail-air tri glide, can`t even tell you how much nicer the trailer pulls. We make no ajustments when hooking up.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have used the Trail-air pin box and have owned 3 Trailer Savers air ride hitches. At one time I had a Trail-Air pin box and the Trailer Saver, both as said above isn't needed. I'm now using only the Trailer Saver and a standard pin box. I highly recomend if your going to stay with a 5th wheel spend the extra bucks and go with a Trailer Saver air ride hitch. And when upgrading 5th wheels or Trucks you don't have to worry about the pin box.

I also have never met anyone in person with frame issues using a Trailer Saver air ride hitch. The TS is as the name implies "Trailer Saver". Keep in mind also that the Trailer Saver fits in almost all bed rails. One Trailer Saver we had was used in 3 different Trucks.. And when you up grade Trucks you only need to buy new bedrails and hardware. I firmly believe the Trailer Saver is the best investment you can make for your 5th wheel. Happy Trails...

P.S. Our pin weight is 4,200 lbs and the 5er floats on Air. Just think a $50,000 dollar 5th wheel and a $50,000 + Truck the Trailer Saver is a cheap investment...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Ozz. Thanks for the link to the anti-up-chucking video. Anything that keeps the tummy settled while towing is good
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
After watching the Mor/ryde video watch the Trail-air tri glide video below.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The Morryde and Trail-air tri are apples and oranges, the Morryde is for chucking only. I went with a 2-air-bag hitch, so I have the shock-absorbing and chucking.
I don't think the Trail-air tri was available when I bought mine in '07
I would go with the Trail-air tri if I was starting from scratch, (and could afford it) If a guy wanted both anti chucking and air ride, Trail-air tri is the way to go. If I just wanted to do the anti-chuck and the budget was tight, the Morryde.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #19
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks to all, this is the information I needed. Garry
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote