Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #41
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Yes, you're correct WRT to car/trailer comparisons. OTOH, if a tire mfgr. (Sailun, for example) provides an inflation chart showing a range of 80 to 110psi depending on the carried load for its ST tire, one can use as little as 80psi after compensating for the pin weight. There is no common-sense reason to use 110psi if a trailer weighs, for example, 12,000lbs. I'd argue those tires would experience more center wear, less footprint and unnecessarily jar the trailer and its contents.
Thank you but some will never believe that.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #42
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Please take a look my thread here:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/sailu...on-471903.html

There is some good information there from several folks with actual use experience along with some opinions with none. FastEagle (AKA CalandLinda on the MOC site) has added some that is fairly good but has no real world experience about the use of Sailuns being run at 80psig, only rules and regulations that are not relevant to my question.

Again, and based on my noted thread along with relevant information from elsewhere, Sailuns can be safely operated at 80 psig with no unusual wear patterns assuming the trailer axles are properly aligned and the set pressures are correct for any particular application.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #43
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
[QUOTE=CalandLinda;1169799]......

Other than your first sentence, "There is no valid reason to inflate RV trailer tires to the load carried," I think we're in general agreement. The OP started this thread with no weight info and a question about tire age. Responses varied but generally recommended upgrading to G-rated tires if the wheels were 110psi, which generated more discussion about not having to use the tire's max psi because his FW is not as heavy as some others. If he were to upgrade from an E to G tire, the placard and mfgr. recommendations matter not, because he is exceeding the original specs. If he stays with an E tire then yes, it should comply with the placard and mfgr. recommendations.

So, back to "There is no valid reason to inflate RV trailer tires to the load carried," of course there is, if he upgrades to G-rated, because his FW falls somewhere between 12-14,000lbs. Can he use the tire's max psi, sure, but he does not have to because of the reasons already stated.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #44
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
[QUOTE=phillyg;1169824]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post

Other than your first sentence, "There is no valid reason to inflate RV trailer tires to the load carried," I think we're in general agreement. The OP started this thread with no weight info and a question about tire age. Responses varied but generally recommended upgrading to G-rated tires if the wheels were 110psi, which generated more discussion about not having to use the tire's max psi because his FW is not as heavy as some others. If he were to upgrade from an E to G tire, the placard and mfgr. recommendations matter not, because he is exceeding the original specs. If he stays with an E tire then yes, it should comply with the placard and mfgr. recommendations.

So, back to "There is no valid reason to inflate RV trailer tires to the load carried," of course there is, if he upgrades to G-rated, because his FW falls somewhere between 12-14,000lbs. Can he use the tire's max psi, sure, but he does not have to because of the reasons already stated.
What is most misunderstood about my responses is; they are derived from existing regulations and tire industry standards.

For instance; the ST235/80R16 is a designated size and can be found in load ranges as low as LRD and as high as LRG. All in that designated size conform to an identical tire load inflation chart. Therefore, they all conform to the vehicle certification label because a LRE and LRG inflated to 80 PSI provide identical load capacities. The only thing that has changed is the higher load range can support more weight because it can be inflated to a higher PSI.

This is a tire industry standard that has a 100% approval from the USTMA…… “Replacement tires MUST provide a load capacity equal to the load capacity of the original equipment tires.” How is that applied to replacement tires of a different designated size? By using a tire load inflation chart for the replacement tires. On that chart you find the PSI value that will cause the replacement tire to provide a load capacity equal to the OE tires. That’s the new recommended cold inflation pressure. It’s considered by all, to be a minimum inflation pressure. Optional inflation can be any value between what is recommended and tire sidewall max.

All RV trailer tires are fitted to the trailers in accordance with FMVSS (standards). Therefore, one cannot pick and chose the procedures from another set of rules (FMCSA), they are just not applicable.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #45
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Where are the tire pressure police when you need one? They are never around when you need one. Sheesh
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:15 PM   #46
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
Where are the tire pressure police when you need one? They are never around when you need one. Sheesh
Don’t need them as most will do as they please even after asking for advice. Some have even replaced Blow Max with the same after failures. Long ago before Sailun were popular I had a Cougar 5er with 80# wheels. I drove it 50 miles and had Sailun installed. Ran them at 95# and never a problem. Now 4 fifth wheels later have run nothing but Sailun. I don’t even chime in when people decide to spend more on tires of a lesser quality. Everyone makes their choice and there is enough info online about all brands to decide.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:46 AM   #47
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Just to add some more fuel to this fiery subject, I was just suggested to on another site that because etrailer had mostly 5 star reviews, that I should use Westlake tires. And we all know, or should, that etrailer doesn't edit their product reviews (yeah, for sure they don't). NO! I"M NOT going to buy a ho hum tire..

Any comments on that brand tire? Just curiosity since IIRC, Keystone has used them
Old 12-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #48
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
......Westlake tires......Any comments on that brand tire? Just curiosity since IIRC, Keystone has used them
I've been following tire posts for years on three RV sites and don't recall much about Westlake being a problem. I have Westlake load range Es on my boat trailer, as do many others, and while I've not had any problems, boat trailer usage is so much different than RVs it wouldn't be a fair comparison.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #49
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I've been following tire posts for years on three RV sites and don't recall much about Westlake being a problem. I have Westlake load range Es on my boat trailer, as do many others, and while I've not had any problems, boat trailer usage is so much different than RVs it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

That's mostly what I saw - utility and boat trailers using Westlakes.

I probably have too much time on my hands with the holidays and lousy weather right now, asking these kinds of questions