Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Water Pressure Regulator Question

Question of the Day -- We currently have a pressure regulator at the external (source) faucet which is set at 45 lbs. Our problem has been that the water pressure in the unit (both in kitchen and bathroom vanity and shower) is EXTREMELY low. Does anyone know if there is a built in regulator in the unit and if we are possibly over restricting the water flow to/in the unit. (We have a 2009 10th Anniversary Edition 2955RL.)

We had this issue checked at Lazy Days during the warranty work two weeks ago and they indicated in the paperwork that the water flow was normal, BUT we don't know if this was with or without an external pressure regulator.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! (OBTW we have purchased on of those oxygenator shower heads, but haven't installed it yet. BUT that still doesn't address the sink faucet issues. Best way to describe water flow is that it just "falls" out of the faucets with NO obvious energy behind the flow.)

Thanks in advance!

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
A friend with another brand had a similar problem and found that a plastic connection had some extra plastic in it that blocked the flow of water down to a trickle. I don't know how he detected the blockage but it was there. I doubt that there is a pressure regulator that is built in to the trailer.

When the faucets were first opened they would have a spurt of pressure and then just a weak flow would follow. Good luck.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Seeing that you rig is fairly new, I suggest you check the screens and flow restrictors at each faucet to see if there is some debris in them that could have been left over from construction.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Since your rig is new I would check each faucet for a flow restricter. The vanity sink it will be just above the aireator screen. In the shower check the connection between the shower head and the hose, pull anything that looks like a plastic flow restricter. Usually a disk or cup shaped piece. In the kitchen they are usually sneakier, there is one between the metal hose and the head, there is also one between the hose and the faucet under the counter. If you have an adjustable pressure regulator like a Watts unit then you should have plenty of flow.I hope this helps... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
What type of Pressure Regulator are you using. If it is one of the Brass or Plastic one piece jobs it is a requlator and a water flow restrictor. Check the flow without the regulator and see what you get. We went through 4 or 5 of those regulators before I threw them all away and built a true regulator that did not restrict flow.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
JimF
This is Robin's other side
What did you use to build your true regulator?
I am willing to try darn near any thing.
Yes we are using one of the brass one and since I can not figure out how the darn thing works as anything more than a flow restrict or I need your help to build a good one.
Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Do you have water in your fresh water tank? Have you tried to operate your pump? If your in house pump makes more pressure then the problem could be external if no change then maybe need to check flow restrictors and screen. Good luck. If you get water pressure and put on the new shower head, I do believe youll like it.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are using a Watts N55G regulator which is rated for 6-9 gallons. That is way more than the pex plumbing in the rig can pass. So there is no virtually no flow restriction. I "built" this unit by getting the regulator with an output gauge, and adding an input gauge. Here is a site where these can be acquired: http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm the regulator is the 11th one down the list, the extra gauge it right below that... Dave
Old 12-31-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
First, are you sure the park's pressure equals or exceeds that 45 psi?

Second, have you pulled the hose and connected just the regulator to observe the flow coming out of the regulator? I found many of those cheap regulators restrict the flow more than they're supposed to. Also, they can plug up with minerals and have to be replaced occasionally.

We had the same kinds of problems. I finally got fed up a few years ago and bought an adjustable regulator for something around $40 at lowe's or home depot. If I recall, I may have had to also get the adapters to use hose connections with it, from the plumbing section of the same stores. I put the regulator on the far side of our water filter so fewer minerals are going through the regulator, reducing the need to clean it out as often. I now clean it annually. Like exnavydiver, I have a gauge so I can see what psi the regulator is set at. Ours is set at 58 psi, which is about as strong a flow I can use without shooting flush water out of the toilet. The lines in the rig can handle far more than that 58 psi.

All that said, your problem may have nothing to do with the regulator. It's just something I've had trouble with in the past. Trouble similar to yours.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Robin,
Just unscrew the old shower head and put the Oxigenics on in it's place. You will like it immediately.

As suggested, look for a plastic disc with a small hole and remove it. Look at both ends of the hose.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ok, experts, when I remove the hose at the wall on the shower, I found a flow restricter (plastic disk with a hole in it), but this one has a baffle on it. When you take it out, put the hose back on, turn the water on, then you get water spraying upward from small holes in the top of the connector. When I put the restricter back in with the baffle in the right position, the leak stops.

What do you guys think of drilling a larger hole in the restricter?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Stiles, that is exactly what I did, drilled it out as big as possible... Dave
Old 01-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #13
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Yepper, what Dave said.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
get the drill out and drill a 38 hole , if not enough drill a 1/2 hole sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
wouldn't you use a 38 to drill a 38 hole? and why drill a 1/2 hole when ya need a whole hole???
Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Thanks for all the follow-up information. Tomorrow may be "water project day" and we'll be checking the insides of connectors and possibly drilling half holes or whole holes depending on what is required. (Dave - I SWEAR all former navy guys have taken the same humor classes! You sound like both Doug and my Dad! ;-P) A trip to Lowe's/Home Depot may be in the offing as well to make a home made regulator.

The water flow issue is the same regardless of where we are (city, well, home or away) so I am thinking it is either the regulator (which may also be a restrictor) and/or the screens/restrictors at the connectors of the faucets.

Wayne, I am looking forward to the Oxygenator shower head as I have heard so many ringing endorsements on this forum, but I am not going to wash my dishes in the shower so I'm hoping for a more complete fix to the problem.

Thanks again, and we'll report back...if anyone has additional input to this issue feel free to chime in!

Robin (and Doug)
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote