Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
johnpjpa
Established Member

M.O.C. #11095
Black tank auto flush

Well ,we took our new 2010 Montana 3400RL for 10 days visit to Branson MO first time use for shake down .
I guess my first mistake was ,I forgot to secure the sliding door strap that separates living area from bedroom and
The door slide attach to the sealing came loose ( I can,t believe how small the screw are to hold a fairly heavy sliding door )
I did fix it with bigger screws and hopefully it will hold .
My other problem is that the so called black tank flush is not working ,when I connected the water hose I heard the inside sprinkler
Start spinning and water spraying ,this lasted less then 10 seconds and quit working .
When I disconnect the water hose I have lots of back pressure , I assume that there is a valve in the system that must be stuck.
I am wondering if any of you had the same problem before and if it is a easy fix.
The RV is under warranty until mid February but we are going to use it a lot this summer
We are going to San Diego in September and in November
Spent the winter in Rockport Texas until march
there is a Montana dealer in Rockport and we eventually could have it fixed up there .
For right now I will use a wand to rinse the black tank and hopefully it will do a good job
I don,t mind using a wand , not convenient but at least I no it is working
Should I get it fixed or keep using the wand ?
This is the only problem I have so far and I would hate to have someone remove the black tank ( even under warranty )
If the wand will do as good a job cleaning the tank
I would like some input
Thanks John

johnpjpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
There are a bunch of reports of exactly the same issue. Mine is one of them. My black tank flush didn't work on my new unit and flooded my basement with the water from the hose. Cleaned it up and added the flush to my list of things to fix for my dealer (just picked up the unit in Feb). Apparently, either the hose is crimped or the backflush valve is jammed or installed backwards. Other report that the fun part is finding the valve. Reportedly, some are located under the bathroom sink and others behind the shower or the pantry. If behind the pantry, sometimes there's an access door and sometimes not and you have to make one. The number of these reported not working is surprising to me. I plan on taking mine in for a few fixes next week and I'll report what the issue was with the black flush. Check under general discussion for some of the posts.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
In my 2006 3400, the access is through the pantry. There is a plastic panel, behind which is the hole to access the valve. Mine was stuck, I gave it a "thump" or two and that solved my problem. The valve has been fine ever since. Good luck, you always can have the dealer take care of the problem via the warranty too
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote