Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
Montana Larry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7319
Pacbrake

Hi,

Anybody running a Pacbrake out there?....Or any engine brake for that matter. I'm thinking of putting one on my Duramax and was curious about pros/cons etc.

Thanks,

Larry

Montana Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have one on my Dodge and sure like it on the hills.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have the Banks Exhaust Brake. Works for me.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If your Duramax has the Allison automatic (ours is 6 speed), I am having a hard time justifying why you would need an engine brake. With the transmission in Tow/Haul mode, I have descended grades ranging from 6% (Fancy Gap - I-77 South - VA) to 9% (Sandstone - I-64 East - WV) without having to downshift or hit the brakes after the initial brake tap to set the grade braking feature of the Allison. This is while pulling our 3400RL. I assume you are aware of this feature and its use????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Montana Larry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7319
Yup I know about the transmission brake. I've only played it with so far as I am setting up the truck now and haven't towed my 3400RL with it yet. I ordered a B&W gooseneck hitch and am going to install the "companion" fifth wheel on it. I put on a Prodigy controller and am also soliciting opinions on whether to go airbags or superspring. I like the idea of not having to put/take out air out of the bags.

That does make me feel better knowing you're going down some pretty steep stuff without feeling you need an engine brake.

L
Old 01-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bingo-- "Grade braking system of the Allison" what's that? Thought I knew all my goodies on the TV but apparently not! Does the manual tell me about this system? If so, I guess I missed that part! What page??
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rondo,

Page 148 in my manual is where it is described. Mine is an 07 classic, so I don't know about previous years??

Bingo
Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Larry, I have been down those same grades that Bingo is talking about and had no problem. I even took pictures showing the Allison transmission doing it's job. Even took some showing the runaway truck ramps on the way down. I will be glad to send them to you if you like. Save your money and spend it on something else.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Bingo, I have a 06 2500HD Duramax with an allison and while I do use the tow/haul button I am still not sure about how the brake tap works would you mind explaining a little bit. I did check the owners manual, but dummie me I gess I reall didn't understand Thank you in advance for and help
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
When I begin descending a grade, I let the truck go about 3-5 mph faster than I want to descend the grade (you must be in Drive and Tow/Haul mode for this to work - not Manual), I then apply the brake with a hard tap to decrease the speed quickly to where I want to descend. You will hear a discernable difference in the transmission when the grade braking feature takes effect (actually a discernable roar). It takes a little judgement to know how hard the brakes must be applied to make sure the grade braking holds you back to the degree desired, but that comes with practice (I believe this tells the transmission what gear range to use - but don't hold me to that). Hope I explained this clear enough, if not let us know and hopefully some others can chime in with what will hopefully be a little clearer.
Bingo

On edit, maybe tap isn't the correct word to use, but applying brakes hard and quick is!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:38 AM   #11
Montana Larry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7319
Again I have only toyed with tow/haul feature but the "roar" you describe is actually the engine giving a slight rev to match the engine rpms to the proper gear in the transmission as it seeks to maintain your desired speed. The engine revs by, I'm guessing, a computer generated signal. It's the same a big rig driver or sports car driver downshifting and revving the engine to engage a lower gear.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #12
Montana Larry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7319
Mudchief..that would be great! Send me some pictures..I am firm believer in the worth 1,000 worth words theory nd it would be interesting as well.

Thanks In Advance,

Larry
Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #13
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Bingo, Thanks for that info, Now I need to wait until spring and give it a try. I really was not sure how to use it before. I have had plenty of people tell me that I had this feature, none of them new how to engage it thanks again I will try this and I am sure it will work fine... Thank you
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Bingo! I'll check it out in my manuel! My TV is a 2007 new body design so the manuels should be the same! Thanks again!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #15
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have a 2002 dura max, and also have the Banks exhaust brake, I towed without and with it. I could have got by without it but now that I have it I love it.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote