Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
gary s swenson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18604
Coax wiring schematic needed

I have a 2017 3721 RL that has cable connection issues. I have removed the access panel to get behind the convenience center. I found the splitter but it is hooked up to the satellite connections. I am trying to get the park cable to work. I have run a coax continuity check on the cable connection and do not find a signal to any of the TVs. Can not find the problem. Thought if anyone had even a general schematic it might help. Thanks Gary

gary s swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
w5352
Established Member

M.O.C. #21463
Send a message via AIM to w5352
Did you turn the antenna off. It should be behind one of your TV's. Press the button to turn the light off. It should be a green light.
w5352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
gary s swenson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18604
Yes I turned off the booster. And I also check the tester and it works. Just trying to run this problem to a solution. Thought it might help to understand how it is supposed to be wired. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
rfulton0513
Established Member

M.O.C. #21514
There is probably another splitter somewhere on the lines. I don’t know the scheme for your setup but I did use to work as a cable tech and if you aren’t getting a reading on your tested it is because of another splitter that is on the line. Good luck in finding it
rfulton0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
There is no Coax schematic available for Montana's every one wired different this is a big problem with most all of them you just have to look and find the splitter's or find what the fine craftsmen did wrong when the put it all together good luck.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 HC 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4

Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
gary s swenson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18604
Well I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Guess I will have to wait until the rally in Goshen and let Montana get it working. Not the end of the world.
Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. Regards Gary
Old 04-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
What you need to do is go to home depot or lowes and look for the Fluke networks nx2 pocket toner. That will enable you to trace all the connections in the convenience center and find out where they go to. It will tell you what coax is open, shorted, etc. Great device that is not a lot of money to buy.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Fixed satellite connex to living room

I think I fixed the satellite connection for the living room TV to work with my Dish Tailgater. I don't have a toner or electronic gadget to check continuity - so I fired up the tailgater and hooked it up to the black box (VIP211z) using a flat coax thru a nearby window. Then I hooked the black box up to the sat connex behind TV. I found the splitter behind the docking station and one by one disconnected white coax #4, #3 and #2, and connected to the coax from the tailgater. I listened for the TV to start making sound. White Coax #2 turned out to be the wire leading to the living room. In the pics below - I took the center orange coax and connected it to #2 position white coax (bypassing the splitter)...DONE! It works now! Hope I attached the pics correctly below. And by the way - every coax on the splitter needed to be tightened! They were all loose.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite connex.pdf (89.5 KB, 260 views)
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
gary s swenson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18604
Mike I appreciate the pictures and the elimination process you went through. I will give this a try when I get out on the road and have a park cable system to work with. It’s a shame that Montana does not do a sanity check before they seal all of this up.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:03 AM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Fixed satellite connection - NOT!

Update to my previous post above...
We are on the road in East Tx. I have concluded that the #2 white coax in my attached illustration is the ONLY cable feeding the living room TV. Keystone must assume that all feeds (satellite, antenna, cable) can successfully travel thru the big splitter- thru a single coax to an additional splitter behind the outlet and feed the living room TV.

When I bypassed the splitter in my diagram - I now have no cable or antenna signal. Additionally - there must be another in wall splitter behind the wall outlet. I hooked up the tailgater like I did at the house the other day and the system just did not operate like it should during the satellite search (switch test sequence). It could not find all of the satellites.

After a good hour of trying to get the sat set up plus scan the TV for cable and air channels I gave up. I hooked up the tailgater thru the window and it scanned and worked fine.

Later this morning I will get everything out of the storage compartment so I can hook the cables back thru the splitter to make the cable and antenna work correctly.

I would love to have a keystone designer explain there intent. It seems like they decided that splitters-galore are cheaper than dedicated separate coax lines.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #11
SuzanneH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21263
The only solution for using carryout satellite is to have a direct connection from the Convenience center outlet to the inside satellite system. For me, that was the power inserter for the satellite, which connected directly to the satellite receiver. The splitters (there are at least two, one behind the convenience center and another behind the connection plate in the entertainment center) ARE THE PROBLEM. There is not enough power in the carryout system to get a good signal through the splitters, evidently. (I have heard tales of some roof mounted dishes having enough power, but I have not used them.)

We used a new high quality RG6 cable, ran it through the ceiling area behind the conv. center, came up through the floor of the slide directly above the convenience center, and ran that cable into the entertainment center. From thence to the power inserter inside the entertainment center cabinet. SUCCESS!! No need to have entrance via window.

Good luck.
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #12
VegasRose
Established Member

M.O.C. #21138
Thumbs up Dish Tailgater Home Run

After wasting countless hours on calls with both Keystone, Dish, and even King, I ended up drilling a hole under the slide where the entertainment center is. I mounted an external coax connection with rubber cover.

I removed the multimedia "deck" from the slide, and found I could run a dedicated RG-6 to the bottom of the slide next to where the main cables enter for that slide. Now, (DISH) Wally has a direct coax connection. TV is for over the air, HDMI 1 is SAT. Of course I can't get SAT for outside or bedroom TV, but this has worked for me....(18 3120RL)
2018 3120RL Legacy
VegasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #13
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I removed the fireplace to route a cable from my Dish receiver outside to the outside TV. I can now open that compartment and hook up my antenna directly. I am also removing the bypass I made at the splitter behind the convenience center so I will get over the air channels again.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
VegasRose, after months of hassling with bad connections and frustrating tech reps at DISH, I also put two new external coax connections as close to the Wally's as I could get them. System works 100% better now on both TVs. We are in the minority on this solution, however, because most people don't want to put holes in the exterior skin.
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
gary s swenson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18604
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Has anyone every tried to have Montana fix these issues while they were at the fall rally in Goshen? We are going again this year and thought I would present these issues to the factory while we are there. I will provide a report when we get back. Just wonder if anyone has had any success?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #16
rabbithawk
Established Member

M.O.C. #19816
My 2010 has two coax leads in the entertainment space one goes to the wingard antena on the roof and the other one comes from the outside connection
rabbithawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
Fuhrmama

M.O.C. #29341
Open default

My cable tester is showing an open default on my satellite outlet from the cov center to lvrm. Does anyone know what that means? How do i go about fixing it. The booster is in the off position.
2014 3582rl montana 5th wheel
Fuhrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Refer to the responses on your other Post on this Topic.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote