Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
MICE & RODENT CONTROL

When using the "GREAT STUFF" foam to plug any holes under the Monty, do you use the standard foam or use the foem for windows & doors ?
The standard is strong when expanding & is not recommend in homes for use on doors & windows.
Also, I would assume to not use any of this product on the bottom of the slides.
Also, when using screening on the water heater door, can I use the alumimin type door screen?
Thanks

Larry P

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't remember the brand, but I've seen the black foam sealant like is used by the factory under our fivers at Menard's or Home Depot. I just use Gorilla tape on the belly pan around any gaps like around the spring mounts and plumbing. If you're talking about the water heater exhaust door, I'd suggest just buying the stainless steel formed screen ... aluminum won't last. If you're talking about the door over the hot water heater itself ... I'd imagine regular screen would work.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I was wondering where to get the black foam. I have used the Black Can for 1" or greater holes, the red can for medium holes and the window/door where I don't want it to expand so much it creates a new hole (i.e. where the corrugated black board on the underbelly meets up with the frame). I have also heard that if you mix in bits of steel wool it keeps them from chewing it. I have heard people tell me the mice won't chew it and other people tell me that mice do chew it but NOT when it has steel wool mixed into it.

I have also used the foam, with a piece of metal screen in the middle on areas (like the rear cap) where it needs to have air/drainage but that has a huge hole. Some people have had squirrels get in there. I want to foam EVERYTHING (except slide outs) but I don't know if that is a good idea. If we drive through a rain I want to make sure there is drainage for the water that may get into the underbelly.

Good luck!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
They don't make the ss screen for the 12 gallon WH yet. But if you go to ebay and lookup ss sreening you can get some just need to know what size you need. 1/6 in,1/8in, 3/16in...then cut it to fit the inside of your WH.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I have the stainless steel screen on my water heater, got it from my dealer. My age of rig may have a different water heater, however. I would use steel wool by it's self to plug the holes, that's what we do in our RV home base when we leave for the winter. I would not use that foam on my rig anywhere, but that's because I've had problems with it in the past, particularly if I decided I shouldn't have put it somewhere or want to remove it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote