Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
slide out adjustments

I have two problems with my 3400. Problem one , the kitchen slide is leaving a black scuff mark about one foot out in front of fridge. I think it needs raised on that side. How do you adjust slides? Problem two, the big slide, on the door side has a big bolt that hangs down right over the back , outside , tread of front tire. On a real bad road the travel of the suspension will on occasion rub the bolt head on the side of the tire. If I could take it out and cut off 1 inch of the bolt, it would fix the problem. There is almost 2 inches of bolt hanging down below the lock nut. What do I need to do to remove that bolt and cut it off? I do not want to get the slide out of adjustment, because it works great. Thanks in advance. Louis

ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Check the Lippert manual...it tells you how to adjust the slides.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
To shorten the bolt ... loosen locknut and just remove bolt. Unless you loosen any other hardware, the slide will stay in place. Along with TLightning's advice ... the slides seem to adjust more easily when you move them about 1/3 of the way out. A little movement goes a long way. Unless the slide is truely out of adjustment ... some of us have bought the "Slide Out Slickers" or made something similar to eliminate the black marks. Bye the way ... while in the area of slide adjustments, if you notice the big nuts on your slide cylinders do not touch both sides of the L bracket on your slides .... that's the way they are supposed to be adjusted. The slide cylinders have more travel than the slide itself ... if you snug the nuts up firmly against the bracket, YOU"LL BREAK SOMETHING REALLY EXPENSIVE!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
dieselguy-- is that a voice of experience on the "breaking something really expensive" statement talking?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Rondo ... no tales of "mass destruction" to be told by me. My occupation deals in hydraulics so I already knew wood and fiberglass were no match for hydraulic pressure. MOC'ers have asked about the nuts on the slide cylinders before ... thought this was a good post to remind them. LOL
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote