Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
2013 Spring Cleaning and mods.......

With the new year coming pretty close, I will begin my annual tradition of spring cleaning/mods in my Monty in mid January or so. I have the Monty parked in the front yard hooked up to 30 amp service and the Dish Network receiver hooked up to the home dish. A long ways to actual RVing for us in early April but a fun way to get ready. When we get weekends in ND that are in the 20's or so, I'll fire up the furnace, warm it up, get the slides out and start cleaning. Polishing all wood work, trim etc, have a few brewskys watch some TV, and slowly take my time. Sort out all the junk that accumulates in the cabinets more brewskys. You get the picture. Will also do some mods and fix whatever needs to be done inside. By March I bring in all the dishes, cooking utensils etc, run them through the house dish washer and finally shampoo the carpets. Mid March comes the wash and hand wax at a friends implement shop. Some may say I am nuts for starting this so early but it helps keep the sanity. Winter sucks!!

DW can't figure out why I don't go crazy about cleaning in the sticks and bricks like I do in the Monty!

The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
It's always more fun working in the "Man Cave"!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Ah yes Rick, I fondly remember your early new year ritual from last year. Thanks for letting us know it's soon time for us northerners to think about coming out of hibernation and prepare for the up and coming camping season.

Although we won't get started quite as early as you, come mid March I will start rooting around in the Monty and hopefully we can catch a warm spell by mid April to kick start our season. We will probably head west again for 10 days where we can find a few campgrounds open on a limited basis.

It's amazing just how many snowbirds we run into returning from the south about that time, hunkered down in the few campgrounds that are open, awaiting the opening of the rest of the campgrounds so they can move around. These are mostly full-timers of course.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Sounds like a great way to pass the time waiting for spring. Since I live in MA, and the winters are tough, and have my Monty covered, it would be hard for me to stay on your schedule of early season preparation. I like your plan, but the cover gets in the way. But you do have me thinking about any place I could take it inddoors in March for a clean and wax. That would be a labor of love since my Monty is brand new without out a camping trip on it, so it it pretty darn clean. What wax to you use on your Monty?
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I strongly recommend doing the spring cleaning, washing and waxing in Arizona. It's just so much more fun!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Dick, that is a great idea. On the 4th we will be passing by your DQ headed to Arizona.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Mine sits in the barn when we aren't travelling so I can tinker with it at my leasure. The fridge is stacked with beer to make the projects more fun. I just finished putting solar panels on it, installed a accumulator tank on the plumbing and now will start working on the running gear. Wheel bearings to be repacked, install the remaining two X factors and change the hubs to self adjusters ( Thanks, John Kohl).
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

I strongly recommend doing the spring cleaning, washing and waxing in Arizona. It's just so much more fun!
Sounds like an invitation! I wish I could make that trip fro sure. I
m pretty confident your weather will be better then mine.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowhawk2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Sounds like an invitation! I wish I could make that trip fro sure. I
m pretty confident your weather will be better then mine.
Does sound like a lot more fun!!! -12 here in ND this hour with a windchill at -34.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
we'll i'm in the middle New Mexico, but friday move from state park to blm and will do some maintaince
biggest first time treating outside with poliglow
http://www.ehow.com/how_5437891_rest...lass-body.html
next sanatize white water tank, also first time
next flush out hot water heater
did rugs last month
should treat inside wood --- what should i use?
maybe do bearings
mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Sounds like a good cure for "hitch itch"- I know how the "itch" can screw up my mental outlook- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thekennys

we'll i'm in the middle New Mexico, but friday move from state park to blm and will do some maintaince
biggest first time treating outside with poliglow
http://www.ehow.com/how_5437891_rest...lass-body.html
next sanatize white water tank, also first time
next flush out hot water heater
did rugs last month
should treat inside wood --- what should i use?
maybe do bearings
mikey
Mike & Dianne, When we were fulltiming in our 3400 we liked using Old English on the wood. Always have and probably always will.

BTW: I am having sellers remorse after selling ours. My only solace is knowing the folks we sold the unit to are really enjoying it and taking care of it as we did. We may buy, or rent a Class A or C this year to do about a three month trip if my health keeps improving. I am envious of you all still on the road.

As fulltimers since owning our rig in May of '07, we did not have to do alot of the things you folks talk about. Never winterized, only treated water tank once.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote