Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Switch sofa and recliners.

We have an 09 3400rl. We would like to switch the sofa and the recliners. Has anyone done this and did it cause any slide damage. Recliners are now too heavy, I'm at the age where my back goes out more than I do. Thanks for any info.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We did it on our 07 model, but it was the older sofa bed (no air mattress) and it worked with a couple of inches clearance. I seem to remember that the followup sofa with the air bed was a little wider and would not work?? Bottom line is that the only way to know for sure is to measure the space from the back wall (the vertical curtain mounting brackets must be taken into consideration as well) to the edge of the slide. A measurement of the sofa depth should tell you how close you will be. I am sure someone will be along who has actually tried this on the newer model furniture styles since I am only going off of shoddy forum memory recall which has been rapidly becoming less and less reliable!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

First of all I’m sorry to hear of Bingo’s dilemma concerning his memory recall becoming less & less reliable. Hope he hasn’t forgotten his appointment this evening!

We have the 3400 2007 model and we have a full size queen hide-a-bed in front of the window with the recliners on the slide out. We haven’t had any problems what so ever but we are cautious when the slides go in or out and watch them real close. It clears but there isn’t very much room and we have to shove the hide-a-bed all the way against the end wall as far as possible for it to work. Now this hide-a-bed is one that we purchased at a furniture store it isn’t one that came with the unit. It’s a full size queen bed when open up. I imagine it’s probably a bit larger than what is normally in the campers.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
We have a 295RKD and I thought (for a second-which about a second too long) about switching our two recliners and the sofa, but we have a storage area that would be blocked by the sofa and trying to move two recliners and the sofa would be like the little game where you have the open square and have to slide the tiles around to put the numbers/picture in correct order. So I said forget it...
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had an '06 3400 with the hide a bed sofa, most uncomfortable bed around, my son stayed with us for a few days and he ended up putting the matress on the floor, closing the bed and sleeping on the floor, (I know, TMI). We bought one Lazy Boy Wall hugger recliner, mine, and moved the couch under the rear window. It fit but we had to push it back each time we moved so the slides would not catch on it. Cathy did the slides from inside and would stop halfway to check the clearnce. As Corporal Schultz used to say, "I know nothing (about the newer couches)". One recliner and one couch was more than enough for the two of us. Some have gotten rid of the couch and just go with two recliners, one in the slide out and one under the rear window. It's your coach, do what suits your needs. We also put two of the dining room chairs in storage, which gave us more room at the dining table. Travelled with three, one at the entertainment desk for Cathy's computer, a desktop, and I bought a rolling table for my laptop.........Two at the table for her and I.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We have a 2011 3400 and have switched ours. To do so we had to remove the little metal things that held the drapes at the bottow and have to push the couch all the way back to the window when we close the slides. It clears by about 1/2".
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
We switched ours on our 2006 3400RL a couple of years ago No problems at all. More recently I added a few corner braces under the sofa, one side of each screwed onto the floor, to keep it from moving if we ever hit some nasty roads, like the Pennsylvania Tutnpike. And others. We hadn't had a case where the sofa slid, but I just wanted to be safe. More recently we replaced the recliners with two new ones from Lambright in Shipshawana, Indiana. They are narrower, more comfortable for our sitting style and now allow us to have a "nightstand" (also from Lambright) between them for more stuff.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CBTraveler

...We switched ours on our 2006 3400RL a couple of years ago No problems at all....
Same here with a 2007 3400RL.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
We switched ours shortly after we bought it. The only problem was we couldn't bring in the slides. We solved that by pulling the sofa from the rear wall and flipping it on its back for slide retraction and travel.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote