Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
oscarj
Established Member

M.O.C. #8152
3670rl brake help

My brakes are weak on my 2003 3670 and I am taking it into the shop. I am at the top of my controller now and noticed fade when coming down the mountains. They are going to look at it tomorrow and the rep talked about replacing the magnetic assembly and pads. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated!

oscarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Have you ever adjusted them?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
OscarJ,

You are describing two possible issues:

First like DHenry describes, the brakes should be checked for adjustment. Having this done in a shop is expensive for labor and is why most of us try and do this at home. Many trailers DO NOT have self-adjusting brakes and over time as pads wear out, the brakes can experience fade because the brake shoes are not making proper contact with the drum. You have to look at the brake assembly yourself and look for the adjustment hardware (mine didn't have it). I do adjust the brakes myself (even if I had the adjustment hardware).

Second, if the brakes are and have been adjusted regularly, then it might be time for pads (and magnetics). I've been told and have read that the magnetics for the brake system should be replaced along with the pads when it's due. However I don't know how much of a magnetic assembly in the brake system this consists of. I hope someone can describe which parts of the magnetic assembly are in the "replace with the pads" interval.

Then there's also the drums that need to be turned.

You need to find out the maximum & minimum thickness of the pads, how yours measure against that, then determine if you have enough pad left over or just need to have the brakes adjusted. Beware that a brake service shop makes a LOT more money if they can convince you to replace whole assemblies and get all new parts then charge the same for labor.

Please let us know what you find.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
From my experience, I made a mistake about my rig's brakes. I had adjusted them myself without looking at the shoes to see how they were. I found out that the linings were shot. They had dried out badly and had broken in several places. When I took it in to the dealer, he showed me how they looked. Man, I couldn't even imagine how the brakes worked at all.

After replacing the shoes and keeping them adjusted every year, I've had no more problems. As for doing it myself, I used to do that but am now willing to pay my dealer (or my good friend the tire dealer) to do it. It's worth the peace of mind. Just had them adjusted the other day and all is fine. BTW, I had my truck's brakes adjusted also and it's amazing how much braking power I now have.

You'd think that after almost 10 years of full timing that a person would have seen it all, but it goes to show you that there is something new every time.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
oscarj
Established Member

M.O.C. #8152
Thanks for the replies...all dead on the money. No I haven't been adjusting them which explained a lot as I bought the rig used and have owned it about a year and a half. Went to the shop today and found linings cracked, pads worn but adjustable and magnets? To part replace was within 200 dollars of complete replacement units with self adjusting setups. Huge difference after he adjusted what I have while we wait on parts to come in. Feels great compared to what it was and definitely safer with predictable braking power in unison with my truck via the prodigy. Thanks to all!
oscarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I just got a new set of 6000# self ajusts for mine from the dexter dealer for less than 50.00$ a wheel. They are an easy install just R&R and hook two wires. Just waiting for a cooler day to do it.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote