Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
frosty
Established Member

M.O.C. #568
decales

WE have a 2006 montata,34 rl..the decales have been falling off.........Got new ones from the manufacture took them to dealer to have put on--------------- they want about $$2500.to enctall..... I dont think that is my bill..... will leave them falling off.... is there any else having this problem???????
frosty.........rmfjrf@aol.com..

frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
John,
Your dealer obviously doesn't want to install your graphics. See if you can find a graphics shop near you, it can be done much cheaper. If you take them off yourself you will probably get a better price, check around
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,
Like Charlie said.... find a good body shop in your area. I'll be you'll find that one of them will be glad to have your business and at a much better price.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
John:
I might add that if you take them off yourself, take some pictures of the placement to help whoever puts the new ones on. I used a lead pencil and marked a small marking on the corners, took measurements of approx. placing and drew a sketch. Mine now look like factory job. Had a local sign person and her daughter put them on for $125.00. I was happy....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
John,

Sounds like dealer does not want to sell you a new rig when your ready,or maybe he does not like referrals!
What a rip off!
Best place to go is a sign shop that does vinyl graphics,look for one that has been in the business for 5 yrs, or more.You do not someone to make a mess of it.
I am having mind done by a person who makes large vinyl balloons, cost $125 great price.

Good Luck
David (bear) in beautiful Coeur D Alene,Idaho
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We’re presently working on replacing our graphics. I don’t think it will be that big of a job it’s just a matter of getting the surface prepared well enough and clean enough before putting them on. I have already removed the two larger graphics on each side and that wasn’t difficult at all, just a little time consuming. Using a hair dryer will soften them up enough that you can peel them off a lot easier.

On Edit: I wouldn’t use a heat gun, first of all I don’t like getting burned & I doubt that temperature would be good for the surface.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have a 2007 and the factory sent me a new front cap graphic last year. I was looking at the side graphics last weekend and now they are all peeling off. I was furious. My dealerwon't take my extended warranty so I have decided to just do away with them. I am going to peel the remainder of the graphics off and have a naked rig.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
rotti
Established Member

M.O.C. #10061
You might look for a good auto body shop. The techs there probably put more grafic effects on that most others.
rotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
noggs
Established Member

M.O.C. #10043
I have a 2004 3650. the graphics are all curling, shrinking and cracking too. I will be doing what Okie guy suggested he is also doing and that is taking them off and leaving a naked rig. Maybe someday would put some on b ut doubt it.
noggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Here is what a naked Monty might look like.

Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Front decals peeling off, did all the right things and got new graphics free from Burlington. Spent two full days scrapping off the old remnants. Starting looking more closely and noticed side decals starting to peel.

New front decals sitting in garage, me thinks forever but it might be this second beer talking.
RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Removing the old graphics is a time consuming job, but one can do it and save some money to boot. There's nothing wrong with using a heat gun as that is what people in the business use. Most hair dryers just don't have the heat needed on the larger graphics unless you just want to spend days at it. Hold the heat gun about 10" - 12" away and use a slow sweeping motion ... don't hold it in just one place. You'll get the hang of it after a while ... too much heat and the vinyl just pulls apart like taffy ... too little heat and you have to chip away at it. Sometimes after you get a start on a graphic, pull it over itself 180 degrees. Slowly sweep the graphic where it's still adheared to the side of the fiver and pull at the same time. Ask around for someone to install them as unless you've done it before, a fiver is a rather big "starter" project.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I too have the same problem with my rig. I went to BGS's site and downloaded the appropriate form for my rig. I then went to the rig (it's in storage)and checked off the decals that are peeling or even looking like they will peel soon. I then went back to BGS's site and filled in the form. I just did this Friday so I don't expect an answer until sometime next week. Here's hoping they will replace them free too.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
Hamcamper, I did what you said about 2 months ago...haven't heard a word from them. I went to a sign maker and he made the moons, not excatly the same but look better than the ones which were falling off. I plan to try to paint it after I practice on a scrap of sheet metal.
Clent.
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Is there any way to keep the decals from cracking?
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hopefully when the Fall Rally comes up in September we can talk to both Keystone-Montana Division and also maybe even BGS about this problem. I'm thinking strongly that if this starts to happen to our rig (hasn't started as of yet-and keeping fingers crossed) I'm going to a good graphics shop/body shop that has a good graphics artist and have it painted on. I may not have the same exact graphics done but at least I know I will have someone to go back to if it starts to chip off. Maybe I can get some of these kids that do the graffiti all over the city to do mine and have a REALLY COOL Monte!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Now I'm really confused! I've written to Kristen at Burlington twice as of Friday about our peeling graphics but haven't received a response yet. After learning from hamcamper's post that Burlington had diagrams of their graphics on its web site, I went there, hit the 2007 Montana link, and surprise, surprise--those aren't the graphics on my late-year 2007 model rig. So, I checked the 2006 model, as the site says to do if the graphics don't look correct. Well, the 2006 front cap graphics are correct except that the word MONTANA is brown on our rig, but seems to be blue on the Burlington web site. Maybe that's just a web photo color issue. And my side graphics? They seem to be a mix of the 2006 - 2008 graphics, with some differences in details and color. In other words, I can't find my exact graphics anywhere on the Burlington site.

Has anyone else had this problem? I certainly don't mind replacing our peeling and cracking graphics (all of them, as it turns out) with some that are a bit different, but I'm puzzled about why I can't find a 2007 set that matches what we have on our 2007 rig. (I did double-check the trailer title, and it definitely says 2007 on it.)

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

Now I'm really confused! I've written to Kristen at Burlington twice as of Friday about our peeling graphics but haven't received a response yet. After learning from hamcamper's post that Burlington had diagrams of their graphics on its web site, I went there, hit the 2007 Montana link, and surprise, surprise--those aren't the graphics on my late-year 2007 model rig. So, I checked the 2006 model, as the site says to do if the graphics don't look correct. Well, the 2006 front cap graphics are correct except that the word MONTANA is brown on our rig, but seems to be blue on the Burlington web site. Maybe that's just a web photo color issue. And my side graphics? They seem to be a mix of the 2006 - 2008 graphics, with some differences in details and color. In other words, I can't find my exact graphics anywhere on the Burlington site.

Has anyone else had this problem? I certainly don't mind replacing our peeling and cracking graphics (all of them, as it turns out) with some that are a bit different, but I'm puzzled about why I can't find a 2007 set that matches what we have on our 2007 rig. (I did double-check the trailer title, and it definitely says 2007 on it.)

Carolyn

We have an early 06 and the graphics are blue, we bought it in September of 05. About 2 or 3 months later they went to brown.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote