Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
our shackles, too

I reported awhile back that I could see where the bolt heads used to be relative to where they are now and thus I concluded we have some elongation of the holes in the shackles/spring hangers. Since we will be on the road again Friday, headed for the service center in Goshen, I crawled under and checked them again. Here's what I found.

This is the inside hanger on the right rear, right being the door side. We have just 600 miles to reach Goshen so I think we'll be ok to there. The service center will check it out. We definitely will take interstates this trip so we have a nice wide shoulder should we not make it that far. I really don't think it will break loose in that 600 miles, though. It's taken approximately 30,000 miles to get to this point.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Steve,
Sorry to hear you have it also. I thought they would probably be gone when you said you had 30,000 miles on the unit.
That seems to be the magic number 25-30 k.
That was the same shackle that showed the most wear on mine also.
Good luck and hope you make it ok.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Steve

Is it like that on both sides of the bolt? If it was me, I would block it up and remove the shackle, and take it to a machine shop, they could make you one or two. I know we could have one made for a couple of bucks, cheap just to get by. Beings it's on the nut side, it wouldn't be to hard to replace. I certainly don't want to tell you what to do but it concerns me for your safety. Otherwise be very careful on your traveling. Let us know how everything went for you. Larry & LaVonne
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Gosh Steve, sure hate that your going on the road like that. We have a trailer shop nearby and they have plenty of these shackle links. Some shop up there is bound to have them. Looks like you could get a temp repair until you can get the dexters put on at the service center.

Just inspected mine and greesed the wheels and ready to go to Kansas. When I come back I am going to jack it up and change everything. I have about 30000 on mine.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Steve,

This will be quite interesting, to see what the Factory is going to do. My guess is they will just offer to replace with the same thing. What will you do if this is their Fix?

If anyone out there gets a chance to look under the Cambridge, see just what they put on the $80,000 Rig. Is it Dexter's up-graded lubed shackle system or the same thing we all got?

Just wondering
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Questions from someone not so mechanically inclined or have the tools/equipment available:

1. To whom would you recommend "we" go to have the shackles replaced?
A. Suspension/alignment shop that works on RVs
B. Camping World
C. RV Dealer/Repair Facility
D. Other
2. Should "we" order the parts and bring them to the facility, or recommend which parts to order?

Thanks for those of us who are "mechanically challanged"
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bruce,

If I didn't do the work myself, I would have gone to a Suspension Speciality Shop. We have several here in the Phoenix area. I would get them to put the Dexter lubed system on and also align the Axles at the same time.

If they couldn't get the Dexter and didn't have a suitable replacement I would order them from www.easternmarine.com and then give them to the Shop for installation.

Happy camping

Old 05-18-2005, 03:29 PM   #8
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Steve, be careful, that baby looks like its ready to go. 600 miles to go, take your time and stay in the right hand lane just in case. Check it every stop you make for any more movement. I`d say when they take it off it is more than elongated, it is probably worn right through. Of you have the tools jack her up and lossen the bolt and try to put her back in the original position and tighten it back up really good. Good luck, I`m sure many on this site will be thinking of you and praying for your saftey- Mark & Donita
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve and Vicki, be careful and safe on your trip to Goshen. Your friends here will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please update us when you can!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Adding our wishes for your safe and uneventful travels to Goshen. Let us know how it all goes--and without question, we are all anxious to hear the outcome of your discussions about the shackles.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks everyone.

Cruzin, it's just the one side of the bolt. That's why I figured we'll be ok for the 600 miles. If I were to change this one out I'd have to find some way to get it all done tomorrow since we leave Friday morning. There's not much here in Gatlinburg or even Pigeon Forge that would offer much help or parts unless a NAPA or similar store carries them.

AZstar, yes, I figure they'll be replaced with the same thing. Then I'll have to change them out myself. But that at least would buy me some time. I do not know if they are still using the same thing or not.

It's hard to tell in the picture because of the angle of the camera but I don't think that one is quite worn through. Yet. But it's getting close.

We will be taking it easy on this trip. We'll be doing a few more miles than our average travel days but still it's only about 290 miles per day for two days. I will be watching this closely during both of those days. I do have the wrenches and sockets to change that one should we need to do so.

Thanks for all the concern. I think we'll be fine but we will watch it closely.

There is an RV dealer in Sevierville, not far up the road from here. He may have the links so I can buy a couple for spares, just in case this one goes while on the road. I don't think he's a Montana dealer. Does anyone happen to know the size, maybe hole center to hole center? Email me if you do, please, as I'm more likely to see that before we head out.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Steve: Based on a comparison between your pic and the ones I posted in Feb, I'd say your "elongation" is a bit greater than mine was. Based on that, it appears to be closer to wearing through than mine were. If there is somewhere close that could replace that shackle, at least, it might make your trip to Goshen a bit less worrisome. Should only take an hour or so at almost any suspension or trailer shop. Cincinnati or Dayton can certainly have some suitable locations.

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ, I have your pictures saved on my laptop so took a look. You may be right. Tomorrow I'm going to see what I can find. Thanks all.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Steve,
I agree with what folks are suggesting.... get them replaced. At least get that one replaced. Odds are there are others too. At a minimum turn the shackle around or upside down.... the wear on the bottom does not appear to be near as much. That should be a relatively easy temp fix. Sure sorry you're having this problem too. I would think that Keystone would "get it" by now.... these shackles are not sufficient for the load of a Montana.

If you don't do anything I like your idea of taking the expressway and NOT going too fast. :-) Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
reading these shackle posts is giving me a disease. I guess it might be called shackle paranoia. Looks like the only cure is the lubricatable Dexter Shackle Kit. I guess it is cheaper than Paxil or Prozac though.

By-the-way, Steve, I agree with the others. replace the ones where flaws can be seen.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #16
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Steve and Vicki do drive careful and we hope to see you while in Goshen. We will be at the fairgrounds until Sunday.
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:28 AM   #17
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
There is a Montana Dealer located about 35 miles from Pigeon Forge TN. Their name is North Gate RV Center and they are located at 3332 Wrights Ferry Road Louisville TN, Phone # 865 681-3030.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:03 AM   #18
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
Please be careful & safe. Let us know ASAP that you have arrived safe.
Also what they do for you.

As you know we have just been there with hitch pin problems & they did a awsome job. Ended up doing alot more than we were aware of.

Ernie was doing some looking under the trailer to check out our tires & found the on the drivers side rear to be wore really bad on the inside also. Now we have pulled this thing to florida & back to times & he has never seen a tire problem befor. This seems strange that we now have it from our trip home from Goshen.

Called Keystone & they said ours doesn't fall into some of the recalls on the axles.

Please Steve let us know if they do something for you.
fla hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:38 AM   #19
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
We think we have found our problem with the inside tire wear. Think the bearing is bad. Going to fix that first. The only thing we see on the shackles is that one bolt looks like it is starting ti turn. No obvious wear otherwise.

Got a question...... Hubby thinks that you all that are replacing your shacles to Dexter kit have Dexter axles. Is he right? Or am I right that you have Alco & using Dexter as the replacement?

One more question. Is this all out of our pocket or is Keystone doing this? You'd think they would do it is this sure seems to be a on going problem for every Monty.
fla hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #20
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Fla Hobo,

I have Al-Ko and put the Dexter Kit on my TT, but I had to add a spacer to the center hanger to maintain enough clearance.

I believe Ham Rad also had the Al-Ko and replaced his shackles with the Dexter Kit.

There are two Kits one for 33" center to center on the Axle's and a 35". I'm thinking the 5ers have a taller hanger on the Al-Ko Axles which would not require you to space it down.

Happy Camping