Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
dafurrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #20861
Nevada RT 50 to Utah

Has anyone traveled NV RT 50 from Fernley to I 70 in Utah? I am planning a trip and am looking for an alternative instead of interstate.

dafurrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Been that way several times. This time of year it will be cold and maybe some snow, ice thru the Humbolt-Toiyabe mountains. Check road conditions. It is a lonely road! After you leave Fallon services are far and few between until you get to Ely. Ely to Hwy 70 is about the same. Typical high desert scenery. I would probably take 80 this time of the year.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
dafurrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #20861
We won't be in that area until early July but if it's as desolate as you say I will stick with I 80, I do have enough fuel capacity to make it across 50.
Thanks for your response.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
Kid1956
Established Member

M.O.C. #22775
Its that desolate,, I promise. I drove it multiple times a year for 18yrs.. from Carson to Ely, sometimes on to CO. 110mi from Fernley to Austin, 70mi to Eureka, then 70 to Ely.
Only 2 hwy patrol a day, one from fallon to Austin and back, and one from Ely to Austin and back. They meet about 10am in Austin cafe. Shoulders at best are 3' wide, usually 1.5", lost of grades, Austin is the worst. All 2lane hwy. 65 and 55, although you'll be good to do 35-40 up a couple of them. Definitely not the place for a newby, or someone not 110% sure of their equipment. I drove truck coast-coast 8yrs, and I wouldnt do it with a pickup and large trailer unless I just had to and knew all my stuff was perfect. It doesnt scare me, its just not worth the chances and slow travel. There is nothing,,, to see out there but desert. Loneliest hwy in America..for real..
Youll be just as fast if not faster going 80-15-70, and lots more help, fuel, and stops..
Old 03-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
dafurrow
Established Member

M.O.C. #20861
Thanks for your reply, I too drove a semi in my 20's and 30's but mostly in the east and south west and i'm from the mountains of WV and know how to drive in the mountains on narrow two lane road I was just looking for a break from interstate driving but if it's that challenging and desolate there's no need to go there. I took my wife which is from Florida to WV for mountains for the summer and thought she was going to leave me and catch a flight back to Florida on a few occasions. I will run I 80 over to Salt Lake City and spend a few days there.
Thanks
Dave & Darlene Furrow
Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
If I was running to that part of Utah which I have quite a few times, I'd take 50. It's 2 hours less driving and 130 miles less. For the most part is easy running, a lot of long straight sections, low traffic and the roads are in good shape (compared to CA roads). There are pull-outs periodically with room for a trailer. Sure it's dubbed the "Loneliest Highway", but I-80 isn't much fun either. There are enough fuel stops on the route in Fallon, Austin, Eureka or Ely. I have an aux tank and can fill up and make it to I-15 on one tank from home. You should be able to make it from Fernley to Ely on a tank. Phone coverage is fairly good, but it gets spotting east of Fallon around the Naval Training area.