Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Flue shot update

Since Ozz brought it up we went to Walgreens to get our flu shots today. There are three kinds out there. The regular comes in tri (something) and quad(something) and then there's the extra powerful geezer model. We saw on the news last night that the quads were getting hard to find, particularly at government clinics. Apparently they found a new flu type coming out after they manufactured the tri and so the quad has something to protect against that type of flu also but are also just being produced. Walgreens had to check to see if they had any quads left and when they had enough for Joyce and I we got them.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Most of need the geezer model. Don't forget the shingles shot. I would take the flu 10 times before I would take shingles again. Of course we don't get to choose which diseases we get. If we did we would always choose none of the above.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quoteon't forget the shingles shot.
My better half and I had the shingles vaccine. It's not cheap! It cost us each almost $300 each!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Lucky me, I got the flu shot and the shingles shot at the VA last week. Not sure which of the flu shots I got. Hope it was the right one.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I don't think there is a wrong one, just one that has the newest strain added to it.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Quote:
quoteon't forget the shingles shot.
My better half and I had the shingles vaccine. It's not cheap! It cost us each almost $300 each!
What about that "free" health care we hear about?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:
What about that "free" health care we hear about?
That's just another one of Grimm's Fairy Tales. Health care is free for those under a certain income threshold. The rest of us pay a monthly premium for health care services. Prescription drugs aren't generally covered by our provincial health plans until a deductible based again on income kicks in then something called Pharmacare takes over.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
moutard2 My Canadian friends LOVE their health care, but we don't know much about it. How do you feel about it? Could you tell us a little about your health care?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

moutard2 My Canadian friends LOVE their health care, but we don't know much about it. How do you feel about it? Could you tell us a little about your health care?
Lynwood
I'm anything but an authority on the subject as we kind of take medical coverage for granted. Aren't we fortunate to be able to do that! Here's a link to a brochure covering the health plan offered by this particular province.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/info...p-brochure.pdf

In my case, the family premium I pay is about $120 a month and for that we get pretty well everything EXCEPT prescription medication. If you're hospitalized, medication, etc. is fully covered though. Most companies offer a drug and/or dental plan at a nominal cost but for those of us without such coverage, we can buy it privately but the cost is relatively high and the coverage pays about 70 to 80% of the drug cost.

When we travel out of the country, most of us buy extra insurance because the provincial plan only covers to certain minimum limits and US hospital and physician care would eat that up in no time. I pay $1200 for my wife and myself for excellent out of country coverage but it only covers a specific trip for a specific number of days (in excess of 23). In my case I specified the trip duration at 135 days which gets me into the sun for the winter. For $99 I have a policy which covers any number of trips out of the country for up 23 days.

The biggest complaints I hear about our medical system all seem to be about wait times for elective and non-elective surgeries. The system has been good to us.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #10
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Lynwood

The biggest complaints I hear about our medical system all seem to be about wait times for elective and non-elective surgeries.

And THAT is not a minor issue. Especially for senior citizens.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There is too much contrary data for getting a flu shot. We haven't gotten in over 15 years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had one every year and we pay for them for our employees. Makes a huge difference in absentee rate and employee illness at the store. Is it mental or real? Who knows, but we have the data to backup that what we pay to give the shots is minuscule compared to the cost of not doing it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
DW and I went to Walgreens last Wednesday to get the shot and checked the box marked "extra strength". They were out of that one so, we got the regular ole flu shot. "If you ain't got your health... you ain't got nuttin'"
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm in the group of people that don't take to a flu shot well. I tried the shot two separate years and within a day or so was miserable the remainder of the winter. I'm not interested in those experiences again, so someone else can have my dose.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #15
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We each have Medicare and a Blue Cross supplement- Our flu shots are covered and I also can use the VA at little or no cost- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #16
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
This is the first year in about 5 or so that I haven't gotten a flu shot. Thought I would give it a "shot" so to speak and see how I fared.

My father-in-law had a shingles shot and got a really bad case for something like 60 days or more. He was miserable the entire time. I'm not sure what to think about that, get a shot, get the illness, don't get the shot, maybe get the illness, I'm just not clear either is better or worse at this point.

I've seen so many medical posts that the entire flu shot industry was born from government subsidies to pharmaceutical companies I'm just not sure what to believe. Still healthy in Seattle...for now!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I agree Mark, I've had 3 shots in 40 years. Had flu the first 2 times, bad rash the third time. Will take my chances. I try not to shake hands or be around people sneezing or coughing. I also had a friend who took the Shingles shot and got a really bad case of shingles, still having pain since August.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been getting the flu shot for years. Never had the flu. Got the shingles shot and I do not remember who paid for it our BC/BS or Medicare but it cost me nothing same for the flu shots..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:11 AM   #19
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Just a FYI, the influenza vaccine can not make you sick as it is a dead virus, if however you get the vaccine and are not feeling good (which you shouldn't get it then) the vaccine can make you feel worse because you were already sick to start with. Anyone over 65 should be getting the High dose influenza vaccine. Also if you had chickenpox when you were little you already have the shingles virus in your body so you should get the shingles vaccine, also if you have had the shingles you should get the vaccine also. Medicare Part D covers the shingles vaccine, Part B does not. Private insurance companies very on whether they cover it in the office or pharmacy or at all.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #20
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
We are in the "don't get the shot" category....just our own personal opinion but we do not put foreign substances in our systems....to each his or her own...