Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Any Members with Knee Replacements?

I am going to have a total knee replaced on January 3rd and was wanting to talk to any members who have had this done. I am curious what limitations do you now have after the knee replacement. Can you still climb a ladder to get to the top of the Montana? Any information that you could share with me will be greatly appreciated.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Yes, had a total knee replacement three years ago and both hips replaced in 2002. Can still climb ladders and get on top of the Monty. The knee does go "click-clack" but was told that's normal. I do a lot of walking and bike riding as well and generally try to hit the gym four times a week. Being in shape will significantly enhance a speedy recovery and rehab. I found that rehab took a bit longer for the knee than the hips. Hardest part was rehab and getting over the top the first time while pedaling the rehab bike. Once that was done, all was easy. The little contraption they have you strap your leg into to flex the new knee is boring when you have to do it for a few hours at a time. Lastly, use ice as directed and the Tensor machine helped the muscles/nerves get back on track. As for the actual operation, slept through it all!
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Total knee replacement in 1994. Was bowling professionally when I had it done. Did my best bowling after the knee replacement. Can do whatever I need to do: on top of rig, under rig, climb ladders, etc. I wore out the first installation of the knee. Had it repaired in 2007: new teflon (meniscus). The first replacement used to go "click-clack" and the doctor said that was normal. When it was repaired, the doctor who did the repair said it was not normal and since it's been repaired I have had no "click-clack." It operates like a normal knee.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Have had both knees and one hip replaced. I agree with both the above posts. The only thing I have trouble doing is kneeling. I can do it but it's painful.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had my right knee done about four years ago. No problems whatsoever once I got by a blood clot right after surgery. Do at least as much exercising as they tell you to do. I did four times as much because I didn't understand what I was told and was too stupid to ask. As a result the rehab folks thought my recovery was very fast. The other thing I'd heard about and tried was taking a vitamin E capsule, cutting it apart and rubbing the "juice" on the scar twice a day. Again, the rehab folks thought the scar reacted better than they expected. Good luck, you'll have our prayers.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
You can get a jump on your recovery right now. Go to the gym and build up the muscles in the bad knee. It will cut your recovery period. Our insurance co. encouraged and paid for pre-op PT. If you build them up now they are stronger after the replacement. Hope this makes sense to you. good luck. In a few months you'll be glad you did. Remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
can a replacement be done while fulltiming?
steps how much rehab
mikey
i'm told i have to ask for replacement 4 mo ahead
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Wife had a total knee replacement 2 years ago and she is doing great. She does have a little problem kneeling on it as it is sore but other then that she is normal. Pushing yourself during rehab is the key issue. Don't baby it, the harder you work during the rehab the faster you heal and the better off you will be.

DQDick is right about the vitamin E. Pick up some of it at the drug store and rub it into the scar each day and it will look 100% better. Also protect it from the sun.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
PackerFan is right on with the pushing yourself. I had mine done in 2005. There was a man in the room with me that had the opposite knee done at the same time as I did, same doctor and the same rehab. He was lazy and did not work well with the rehab. people. The girl in rehab told me he just would not try. I was released and he was still using a walker. So PUSH yourself in rehab and do the exercises before the operation. It helped.
I not walk without the pain and can do most anything I want. Kneeling is painful, so I sit or kneel on the other knee.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My wife had her right knee replaced 6 weeks ago after a 5.5 hour left foot operation in May. Before she left the hospital in 48 hours she could bend her leg over 100 degrees. Within 1 week it was 125 degrees and in 4 weeks she could get up nd down stairs normally but slow. At 5 weeks she quit any assistance read cane, to get around. Yes there is pain involved for a few weeks but according to her no big deal. You will be as good as new before spring.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #11
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I had my knee replaced Dec./11 and have had problems ever since. I am glad to see a lot of folks have had nothing but good results with their replacements. I could tell 3 weeks after my surgery that something was wrong as you know how you get a little better after everyday. Well mine did not, so mine just stopped getting better and started to click a little at first then started to snap, pop with every step. By May I had a revision to replace the poly disk with a thicker one. But that did not help with pain. Now I am having to have another surgery to replace 2 out of 4 parts with the possibility of a total replacement. So I am glad to see some folks that have had no problems. I wish you luck with your new knee.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
RKassl
I hope and trust your surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery. It will be a tough few weeks but in about 4 weeks from your surgery you should start to see a big difference in how you feel. It has been about 7 weeks since my wife had her knee replaced and she has resumed her walks around our hay field for the first time in almost 2 years and says for the most part she forgets she has had a TKR. So there is life after the surgery. Hang in there you are on the mend. By spring you will be as good as new.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote