Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
I Am Woman.....Hear Me Roar!!

Well, after much anticipation.....I finally decided it was time for me to take the wheel and tow our fifth wheel. Ken pulled over on 101 North in Oregon and I slid into the drivers seat. I have plenty of experience towing and launching boats and jet skiis. I have to say, I was more intimidated by the Ford truck than the fifth wheel. I drove to our destination through country roads, a couple of small towns and Coos Bay. Thanks especially to Debbie and Renee for your inspiration!! Heck, I may get used to this and not let Ken drive. My only fear is that he may now want me to empty the tanks !?!?!

Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
You go girl! I find your title funny...I used to have it written on the sleeves of my motorcycle jacket. There were many men who thought women couldn't drive a Harley. Boy did I prove them wrong! My ex-husband was an AWFUL motorcycle driver so I used to drive with him on the back of my Harley Sportster 1200! I am so proud of you! I am hoping to take after you but my husband needs more practice before we can switch...or is that my cop out?!

As for the tanks...you could always be too busy cleaning the inside!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ah, Carol....she's no biker chick......just jetskis. Hope you make it to the 'Q' to met her. She is truly nuts & has kept me laughing for over 37 years.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Congratulations! Being able to drive these things is essential as you never know what may happen down the road.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Yeh You did it not so bad is it. We are sitting in Westport, CA and heading for Oregon Tuesday. We are going to Port Orford and then heading to Winchester Bay area.
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
So Ladies...do you trade off with the hubbies or just practice once in a while for emergency needs? I am trying to decide if I want to be a regular driver or just the backup. What do you think? We are not fulltiming it. Just a week here, a weekend there, so not sure how much it matters in our situation.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Congrats on the step up! Sue ahs been trying to get more time behind the wheel and with our trip to SD from the NE PA she logged a good 1200 miles or so. She did excellent and I could see as each mile passed she gained more and more confidence in her own skills. Next on the list is learning how to back up and park the rig in a non-pull thru site. She will start in a parking lot so she does not have an audience watching.

It essential for the DW's to learn to drive the rigs because as Dick said you never know what might happen down the road, things happen and you need to be prepared.

Keep up the good work!

Les

Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
My DW has driven with the Montana and our 2 other TT's. She insisted on backing the Montana a couple times already. Now that she knows she can do it she's fine with letting me drive. She has taken out our other TT's by herself several times while I was away at work. She has no problem going up to someone in the campground and asking for help guiding her into a space. She even hooks them up and dumps them heself. Now she is a little intimidated hooking and un hooking the Montana (first 5er). She hasn't done it completely by herself. We'll be working on that during the next couple weeks.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen has been driving,hooking, unhooking, backing and dumping since the day we began camping over 25 years ago.That is as it should be. I do not understand the guy has got to do everything thing.Both being involved in the total camping experience makes camping easier.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #10
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Good job Helen!!! Just for clarification.....Ken is not a "guy that has to do everything'.....I am a bit of a princess!!! Stanley, on the other hand......does nothing!!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I am another lucky woman that my husband is totally fine with me driving and backing in and will DEFINITELY let me handle the 'dumping duties'! I have practiced with the TT we used to have but we just got the fifth wheel and haven't had a chance to practice yet. It is on the list for this weekend. We are going to let me practice in a parking lot and then drive around a bit and then come back and park her! A big pat on the back to all of the women who have taken the wheel and another pat on the back to all of the hubbies who support their wives and see it as a team thing! Not everyone is so lucky!

On a side notes are there driving classes for new RVers? We don't seem to have any in Billings, MT but was wondering if there were any worthwhile anywhere in the US.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Carol, you're missing your chance at the Montana Rally, they generally offer a Ladies driving class at the Montana plant. Ann took it last year just to get some of the basics, she's not much of a driver under normal conditions, but thought it would be good to understand the basics and was glad she did. We both attended Jim and Vicky's hand signal class which was both fun and informative. We won't be there this year since we jumped ship to an SOB.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Ahhhh...I am disappointed! Oh well...maybe next year. I would love to take that kind of a class and the hand signals too. Okay...now my ignorance is going to show...what is a SOB in the RV world? I know what it is in the regular world!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
SOB is some other brand. As for the hand signals.....I have a couple that I use....actually one in particular.....and it works just fine!!!