Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Banff

OK, my next questions concern Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada. What can anyone tell me about their campgrounds and which one I should shoot for when looking for hook ups and 38 feet of space. Reservations for the summer months open next week, so I need help SOON!

washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
In Banff there is a very large and nice CG on the south east side of town. We were there in July and had no trouble finding a site. But it might be a good idea to get reservations. I believe the name of the park is Tunnel Mountain. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Dennis,
Thanks. Parks Canada says Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court has full hook ups, but this year is closed to reservations due to construction. They have walk ins, but the construction would not be conducive to a tranquil stay! Tunnel Mountain Village 2 has electric sites, 15 and 30 amp, and they are open to reservations, however it does not say anything about water at the sites, so if someone out there knows, it would help, or I will call the park and ask. Walt
Old 04-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We stayed a Tunnel Mountain and they had construction going on when we were there. The campground was very large and the only time we even noticed it was when we would take a long walk through the campground. It is a very nice place with very large pull-thrus.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

We stayed a Tunnel Mountain and they had construction going on when we were there. The campground was very large and the only time we even noticed it was when we would take a long walk through the campground. It is a very nice place with very large pull-thrus.
How long ago was that? I think when they are not taking reservations that might mean it has gotten more aggressive!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

How long ago was that? I think when they are not taking reservations that might mean it has gotten more aggressive!
Summer 2010, but they had about half the park under construction then. I would think that part would be done by now.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

however it does not say anything about water at the sites, so if someone out there knows, it would help, or I will call the park and ask. Walt
Walt,
I believe there was a water connection at every site. Dennis
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court Campground is still under construction and they are not taking reservations for the 2012 season. They have some limited sites available on a 1st come 1st served basis. This is also the only full service campsite in Banff National Park. Other full service campsites are not too far away. Spring Creek RV is in the town of Canmore - many full service sites - about a 20 minute drive from the town of Banff. OK campground but not my favorite.
My favorite is Mount Kidd RV Park in Kananaskis which is about a 45 minute drive to Banff. Full hookups with large treed sites. A bit pricey and you can only book up to 90 days in advance of your arrival.
I don't know how long you are staying or which direction you are travelling but if you post this information, I may be able to steer you in the right direction.
There is a fee to enter Banff National Park - about $10 per day per person or $20 for a family/group per unit. An annual pass for family/group is about $140.
Coming to Canada you will notice most parks have a maximum 30 amp service. This has never been a problem for us, but you won't be able to run 2 AC units. We only have 1 AC and have never needed a second one. We don't get the extreme heat of the southern states.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Should have read your post more closely.
Tunnel Mountain 1 has 618 sites - NO SERVICES
Tunnel Mountain 2 has 188 sites - ELECTRICAL ONLY
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Thanks, Bruiser. We will probably be OK with only 30 amp. That's all we ever get in Fla state parks, and we survive here OK even in summer with 1 AC...although 2 would be nice if we can get it. Up there in Banff I doubt we would need both. We will be heading east or south at that point in our trip. We will look at Spring Creek and Mt Kidd on line and see what they look like. Unsure of how long we want to tarry there. No hurry to get back to Florida heat!

I assume with Tunnel Mountain 2 there is water available to fill our tanks?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bruiser

Should have read your post more closely.
Tunnel Mountain 1 has 618 sites - NO SERVICES
Tunnel Mountain 2 has 188 sites - ELECTRICAL ONLY
Wow! I guess we didn't stay in Tunnel Mountain when we were in Banff. We had electric + sewer + water so obviously we weren't in either of those CGs. I would hope they didn't take out all those services. This thread is really confusing me. My experience is so contrary to the info in some of the posts. But it has been several years since we visited so I guess they could have changed the CG.

It wasn't until the very end of our stay in the CG that we realized we should have been paying the extra daily entrance fees! Saved a lot of money! No one ever checked us. Next time we'll just pay the annual fee. That should be the most reasonable way to visit. Good luck and let us know what you find when you visit.. Happy Trails. Dennis
Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Dennis
Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court is the full service campground, I'm sure that's where you stayed.
The Trailer Court is the one under construction.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ron,
Thanks. I suspect you are correct. See you soon. Dennis

On Edit: I just checked on the RV Park Reviews and see that all the Tunnel Mt. parks are located right next to each other. I could have sworn we were in one of the numbered parks but guess we must have been in the Trailer Court. And I would have testified under oath that there were FHUs in ALL the sites! Just shows how wrong some eye witnesses can be!

Thanks to all for setting me straight. Dennis
Old 04-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
There are 5 dump stations at Tunnel Mountain - 2 at Tunnel Mountain 1 - 3 at Tunnel Mountain 2. I believe there may be a fee for this.
Water is available.
I don't know which direction you are coming from.
If from the west on the Trans Canada you will find full service campsites along the way at such places as Sicamous, Revelstoke or Golden.
If coming from the south on Highway 93 you will find full service campsites along the way at such places as Cranbrook, Fairmont or Radium. If you golf there are many great golf courses in this area.
You said you might go east or south when you leave banff.
If you go south on the 93 back through Radium and Cranbrook you will not be too far from Coeur D'Alene Idaho or Spokane. Remember when leaving Banff you do not have to drive all the way back to Golden to access this highway. You can head south to Radium about 30 minutes west of Banff. (Well marked) This portion of the highway has a long steep climb up at the north end and a long steep descent at the south end. I have made this trip many times with the Montana and have had no issues. Speed limit on this road is 90 Km/Hr (55 Miles/Hr)
If you head south - east of Banff you can go south a number of ways.
Highway 40 just east of Canmore will take you past Kananaskis (and Mount Kidd RV Park). Keep going south and it will join up with Highway 22 going south. This will give you good access to Glacier National Park (US and Canada)
If you are heading east from Banff you will travel through Calgary (where I live). Once past Calgary lots of flat prairie for the next 800 miles. If you are around Calgary in July book well in advance because most campgrounds fill up during our annual Calgary Stampede.
Hope this info helps you.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Bruiser,
Thanks for the details. Yes, we would be coming from BC. Also, DW says she saw something that said at Tunnel 1 and 2 the sites are not big enough for our 38 footer. Any problems there?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #16
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Not sure about Tunnel Mountain 1. I think it is more for tents and smaller trailers. Parks Canada website says Tunnel Mountain 2 will fit units up to 50 feet.