Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Firewood

Chuck and I have been discussing this for sometime . How many of you carry your own firewood? He insists on carrying his own. I say it adds extra weight in the truck.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We don't. We are in a quarantine area, no firewood out. We only have campfires for the 2 weeks we go to the lake, and a friend that lives there provides it, he is NOT in a quarantine area. If we want to have a fire in other places, we purchase locally. That is rare.

Speaking of quarantine, for those who may be crossing the Big Mac Bridge this summer, if you have firewood, they will inspect you. I don't know if they take it, or just look at it.

Emerald Ash Borer, a HUGE problem in Michigan the last few years.

I think we find, like many long timers or full timers, that campfires that we used to have as vacationers just are not done that much. When we get together for special campouts with friends, or at Rally's we have fires, otherwise, we just don't have them. Don't have them at home when we are there, don't have them in this home most of the time either.

But, Carol, you are correct, cart the firewood around, you have to consider the weight of same in your numbers and totals. It is heavy, it will add up pretty fast. If you are on the edge with your numbers, it might put you over the edge.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
When we crossed the Big Mac Bridge last summer, we didn't have any, but were told they were taking it. Some kind of wood bore killing the trees.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Carol if you get caught taking it in or out of a quarantine area in Michigan or Ohio you could be ticketed and fined up to $4,000.00 so its not worth tring to take wood with us anymore, I have a bunch of wood just sitting out back and can't take it with us. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
That would be the Emerald Ash Borer, yep!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Going to make him take it out. How do you know which states allow the firewood and which states don't. We take wood with us when we go to Ohio.
I was right for once.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Carol, that is a good question for those who are willing to cart it around, NOT sure. Maybe someone has a URL they would like to share.

Roman, we have piles of firewood too, stuff that was cut down or was storm damaged. It sits in the piles. OH, well, no biggie, if it helps to save the envoirn.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We always have our propane fireplace with us,
It was one of the more expensive models w/5 ceramic fire logs, It puts out about 45000 btu.
We've used it in Nov, you can sit 6 to 8 people around it. It will keep you all pretty warm. The down fall is you can use up a 20 lb bottle of propane in a couple of nights. Upside, you can use it in a fair amount of places that don't allow wood campfires.
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
John, interesting, got a URL??
Old 04-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
We are mostly weekend campers with a couple of week vacations thrown in. We stay mostly in New England. We carry fire wood with us. I usually buy a 1/2 cord and that lasts all summer. Buying fire wood at camp grounds is crazy. For $5 all you get is a bundle of kindling with a log or two. To have a camp fire for a few hours would cost $50. I don't worry how much extra fuel I'm burning. I have found more people carry fire wood than don't.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Interesting that they keep you from transporting firewood. We have something that is called Oak Wilt that is destroying oak that are hundreds of years old. We have had it go through our property and kill to many trees to count. To my knowledge there isn't a ban on the wood that is cut down. The wood doesn't spread the fungus when it is burned, only when a beetle goes from one tree to another so the stacked wood could infect other trees if not stored correctly. If they put a ban on transporting wood it might help contain the problem.

I bought a kerosine heater for our kennel that I could use inside. We took it on our camping trip two weeks ago and everyone was huddled around it keeping warm. Everyone looked like marshmellows, they kept turning around to keep warm
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #12
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Carol,
Portable propane campfires seem to be a big thing here in the Northwest ( Like we don't have enough trees or something)
I can't remember the brand of ours but it is vary similar to the picture I posted.
I just bought the propane fire log set complete with burners etc and made my own base to put it in.
I can also hook it up to the propane quick connect I added to our trailer.
I added a website to look at but do a search in google for "Propane fire log" and there is lots out there.
Take Care
J & D

http://www.firelogs.com/VermontCastingsPatioFire.htm
Old 04-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Here are some web pages on the Emerald Ash Borer:

http://na.fs.fed.us/fhp/eab/

http://na.fs.fed.us/fhp/eab/quarantine/quarantine.shtm (This one will lead to links for Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

We had inspectors from the State of Michigan come by the property about 18 months ago, they looked at all our trees, even in our woodsy area. They found NONE on my property, but did find 50 or more trees about 2.5 miles from me, they cut down every one of them, and destroyed them.

Driftwoodgal, is yours a fungus or a real bug like the Emerald Ash Borer. That might make a huge difference in your ablilty to transport and/or burn the wood from your trees.

If you go to the link for Ohio, you might be distressed to read about budget cuts and their opinion on how that will affect the trees, http://ashalert.osu.edu/latestnews.asp?id=495

Found this by following the link to Indiana: "Under the new protocols adopted through a new rule, the state will continue to monitor and delineate infested areas but will no longer require nor fund the removal of trees in an infested area."

My son's neighborhood in Ann Arbor, Michigan has been devestated by this ash tree loss.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
John, those propane fireplaces are great and they are on my wish list. I am heading to Alberta and I like to shop there because no sales tax just like Oregon my other favorite shopping place in the USA. Have you ever noticed when you put a fire on, your company will stay for a very long time and as long as you don't work the next day, that is OK.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks John and Dawn, for the info!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Don,
Yes, I've noticed. Nice thing about propane is that if you put the control valve under your chair, you can slowly make the fire run out of propane when you get tired. Hope your not going to Alberta this weekend, sounds like the mountain passes are going to be closed do to snow. Funny we used to always go up to the Okanagan for Easter. Glad we are staying home this weekend, can't believe how cold it is.
John
Old 04-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not carry any firewood with me. That is why I ordered the fireplace. Much easier and no mess to clean up.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
They are serious about this quarantine. The sign going to the Mac Bridge also mentions "Jail", and in pretty clear terms... Buy at a local campground in Michigan, period. Lousy wood or not.

This has created a whole new little cottage industry around these CGs though. Little cardboard signs now all summer long out in front of people's homes near CGs - "Firewood For Sale".

Cheryl and I also are looking at propane fireplaces also. Don't know how much propane they go through, but it beats trying to clean all the ash off your tv and camper the next morning - especially neat where the not so cool embers make little marks in the finish...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #19
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
John - Be glad you are not coming to the Okanagan this weekend as we see snow even on our mountains and the Coke. There is so much consturction around here we just go to the dumpster at the new home sites and have unlimited weekend firewood. When we were in the Phoenix area this winter we did the same thing. The consturction crew helped load the pickup with firewood that we used in our washtub that someone left us. The price is right.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just watch for treated wood... contains poisonous fumes.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote