Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Got the trailer, and truck, How much is a hitch?

I just bought a 2004 Montana 3670RL.

I have long diesel dually tow vehicle.

But no hitch.

What's a good but reasonably priced 5th wheel hitch? Don't need no fancy stuff just something to hook my 5er to.

Thanks

cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We bought B & W hitch which we really like. Unsure of the price as it was 5 years ago, but I bought it off the internet. I really like how it works. The jaws clamp around the pin. I feel very safe. It can be removed and does not take up space in your truck bed.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just priced the Pullrite Super5th rated at 20.5K price installed was $2057.00
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pullrite is top of the line and pricey.If we had to do it over again we wouldgo that way as we do a lot of miles. If you are looking for value try a shop that sells hitches and see if they have and used or trade in hitches. We have a 16K draw tite, same as Reese. It has served us well. try loking at both sites for up to date pricing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have used many different 5th wheel hitches. But with the 3670 RL. I would for sure go with a Trailer Saver air ride hitch. They for sure are pricey, but why would you not want the best hitch for your Montana to ride on. And it is for sure a Trailer Saver takes a lot of stress off the frame of the 5er. And the Trailer Saver will never have to be replaced. The TS 3 model is the TS I would suggest, and you will have very little chucking if any at all. I have the Trailer Saver TSLBH 32,000 lb capacity. I have also owned the TS 3 and it was use on 4 different Trucks. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Got my Husky 16K hitch at the dealer were we bought the trailer, $950 installed. Had priced it around and that was a good deal so we took it. That was 3 1/2 years ago, last time we were by there (last month) it was abou $1050, still not bad. That also included the wiring into the bed.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I doesn't have to be fancy, but it needs to do the job. What you get sort of depends on what you want it to do. If it stays in your bed all the time, then a simple Reese or Husky will do the job. If you want to be able to remove it from the bed and have a clean bed for hauling, then you may want a B & W Turnover Ball with a Companion Hitch. I have had both and as a full timer, I can tell you that the B & W is a better hitch for hooking up and unhooking plus the latching is more secure.

If you want the best hitch with the least jerking, you want an air hitch, but bring your pocket book for that one. Great riding hitch though.

Usually what newcomers do is buy a cheap hitch, then after a few pulls, they want something more, a better pull or and easier hook up. Then they wish they had bought something else or go out and buy something else and lose their initial investment. I suggest you look a bit beyond the pocket book and do some research to determine what you really want. It is important, more important than you might suspect.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Got the 16K-S Husky hitch installed by the dealer. Use the Moreryde king-pin assembly, works fine, almost no chucking. If I had it to do over I'd get a hitch that pivots both fore and aft and side to side. Mine only pivots fore and aft and on some unlevel sites the side to side would be helpful.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
I did what you guys suggested. I looked around.

One thing I saw was that a lot of hitches had something that looked like a pair of pliers holding the pin. I didn't like that.

I got a Curt 16K. The price was kind of midrange and I had it installed at a truck accessories store that was recommended by some guys at work. And he was installing a hitch for one of the local RV stores when I was there looking.

I like the fact that the part that holds the pin in place is a big heavy bar of steel that runs across the hitch. Looks like solid engineering to me.

And hitching was very easy, just set the hitch, back into, and youre done. It's all spring loaded and the handle falls down into the locked position automatically. It doesn't swivel in various directions like some but we hitched up in a bad situation with no problem. The trailer was sitting on a hill leaning to one side and I had to hitch from an angle because I needed to turn to avoid an overhead wire.

Unhitching was easy as well. pull the handle to move the bar out of the way, turn it to lock and drive out.

Not fancy, but it works well.

I do think I will soon look into an air ride pin box for the trailer. I think it would smooth out the ride quite a lot.
cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm with Stiles on this one. It's what you want and can afford. We have the TrailerSaver air ride hitch. This was after we used a Reese and a Drawtite hitch. Both were good hitches but we needed something as full timers that wouldn't allow me to be beaten to death by the pounding of the highway.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Hi

Only One way to go PULLRITE!!!!!.

David
bear is offline   Reply With Quote