Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
Just completed my 2600 mile trip back to Alaska

Just a short note for anyone interested in driving to Alaska. Betty and I just returned home (Alaska) from Southern Oregon - about 2600 miles and 7 days (5 days @ 8 - 10 hrs and 2 days of 5 hrs). We travelled I5 through Oregon and Washington, crossing into B.C. at Sumas, Wa., and then took the Cassier Hwy route through B.C. to Watson Lake, Yukon Territory (approximately) and on up the Alaska Highway to home.

Overall MPG was 11.5 driving 55 to 60 MPH (when the hwy permitted). On interstate 5 we averaged 12 MPG (60 MPH) but when we got into the B.C. "rough road" system and had to slow for frost heaves, broken pavement, long steep climes (some are 8% grades), and Caribou & Moose crossing the highway the MPG dropped to as low as 9.5. Then, after returning to a little better road in Yukon the MPG climed back to around 11+ MPG and later back to nearly 12 MPG. Some stretches we had to drive around 35 MPH for an hour or two through the broken and heaved pavement. Alternating breaking and accelerating along with grinding thoughts about how hard this is on my equipment and fuel consumption.

Diesel in Canada averaged around 1.18 per Liter (have fun figuring the cost per gallon un US currrency). Even with my 109 gallon transfer tank we had to buy plenty of diesel in Canada before getting back into "U.S. gallons and U.S.dollars" in Alaska (which is now around $3.85/gal U.S. in Tok, AK)

Overall, the Monty took a lot of bumps and jars, even driving at slower speeds on those rough highways. I must say, however, that compared to the drive back in the 60s the highway is MUCH improved.

No tire trouble and no mechanical trouble at all. Slow driving, use of lower gears and exhaust brake, and good pot hole dodging techniques are to thank. I must say that I love that Cummins 6.7L and the DRW stability. I'm sure other equipment would also do just as well. I just put on new Michelin tires on the truck and the new "Generals" on the Monty paid off.

danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Danandbetty, Thanks for your post. Despite all the trials and tribulations you mentioned I would still like to make that trip. It is a bit further from Missouri.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
jimcol, don't let some of the comments I've read in various forums scare you off from an Alaska trip. Somtimes folks get on a jag that makes it sound entirely too risky or too expensive. Just use common sense when you prepare and take your time traveling and all will be well. I've driven this many times - the first being in the 60's - and in every kind of vehicle/camper combination without serious problems. Glass breakage used to be a big problem but that was back when it was over a thousand miles of gravel - not so now. Only construction areas are gravel. I know I'm biased about the scenery since Alaska is my home state but all through Canada and Alaska is some of the most beautiful country on earth. It's worth the effort to see it. Hope you fits in your plans....dan
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote