Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’m sure viperman will disagree and that is OK. When two people always agree that just proves one isn’t thinking.

303 as a little harder than 304. The main reason 304 is is used it is more weldible than 303. 304 is much harder to machine. 303 is much easier to machine because it has sulfur in it.

Like I said before I could make a set in a few hours but I won’t. I wouldn’t put them on my camper. Actually dissimilar metals is good. That is why bolt action rifle receivers and the bolt are always made of 2 very different materials and hardened to different levels of hardness. The bolt is always about 4 or 5 Rockwell points harder than the receiver. This is done to prevent galling. Even then they sometimes will still gall if the bolt is too tight and you didn’t oil the locking lugs. A $1200 receiver an be ruined in a few firings the same as your lug nuts.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote