Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Questions: Axles, rims & Wheels

While getting ready for the season and after reading several posts I have some questions.

How do you tell the weight rating on the axles? The sticker on the side of our 2008 3075RL states they are 6000#. On the axle I can find a label with much information but no obvious weight rate. They do say D60-8 and D60 Dex #53573. I am assuming they are 6000#.

I have Aluminum wheels and it appears they have been recertified to 110psi since they each have an attached tag with 3750# at 110psi. Am I correct on this? They also have rubber valve stems.

Interestingly the spare has a metal valve stem and thought this was cool. Then noticed the wheel was metal and not aluminum. Is it normal to have the wheel on the spare different than the rolling wheels?

Looking to purchase a TPMS but was wondering if I need metal valve stems instead of the rubber ones?

Thanks for your help!

Dean

DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have a 08 Big Sky and it came with 7000# axles. We just had a complete tire change out due to a damaging blow out on the way down the Keys. I had the tire place add steel valve stems and balance all the tires. Because of the way our tire failed I doubt that even a Pressure Pro would have given us any warning. It threw the tread (beating the trailed pretty badly) then exploded and doing more damage. We will eventually get the Pressure Pro system now that we have better tires. As far as your axle weight is concerned I would go with the sticker... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Reference the spare, yes it is common to have the steel rim because they are cheaper and not seen unless you need to use your spare.

I had steel valve stems put in because I do plan on using TPMS in the future. I tried a TPMS on the other trailer which had rubber valve stems and two leaked after a month with the TPMS installed. So, I recommed upgrading the valve stems to steel if you plan on using a TPMS.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Any tire with 80 psi or higher should have metal valve stems, period.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Actually the rubber OEM stems leaked without the TPM system installed. I just wiggled them and air escaped. The spare stil has the OEM stem and it is always low when checked.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The GMC had rubber valve stems from the factory. I am sure they have metal inserts in them though. I think once again, quality might be the big issue here; can I say "Made in China"? Or perhaps, "Made for Export in China". They have the capability of making good products, but most of the stuff we get is simply junk. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote