Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #21
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

... This was our maiden voyage, and our anniversary. I told Dory we lost a wheel, she said "well thank goodness it was just one". We called a tow company, left it in Utah, and finished our trip in the truck and hotels.
Now Brad's is the right attitude!!! BTW, looks like those lugs just sheared off!!! That must've been scary!!!

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #22
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I think I'll start a new thread titled "How rising fuel prices and the frequent need of my wife asking to pull over so she can pee ruined my vacation". We've all got a story to tell when it comes to RV issues.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #23
meldelton

M.O.C. #8597
Friends,

I regret that a few of you think that I am bashing, because this is not what I consider bashing. However, I know from experience that I can learn much from others who have had similar problems -- warranty and otherwise.

For the information of all, I first sent this posting to my dealer and to Keystone.

Thanks to those of you who read the part that we plan to keep our Keystone and the positive items that we mentioned.

We have had many happy experiences in our unit, and hope to have many more.

Best to all of you.

Meldelton
meldelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #24
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
meldelton, I used the word bashing and it was wrong, I read to much into your post on the Big board and then again on the Montana Forum and no other input from you. I am sorry for using that word, it was a bad choice. I apologize and will try to be a better person and use the appropriate words. I now realize you were just frustrated and wanted to vent. Good Luck and hope things get better. Just hooked up and going to visit the Grandkids for a couple of days. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:50 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
And in reference to learning from others I would hope that you will call Keystone, Team Montana and speak to a real person.It has been the experience of many here that E mails do not work. Also check the warrantys on the vendor provided items that failed. Being a member of this forum will also be of assistance..just ask the question.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #26
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Meldelton,
Please keep us informed on your progress, positive AND negative, as you get the required repairs done. I too heard mostly frustration but also found some expectations unrealistic. If someone is called to come out and conduct a technical evaluation of your unit and make a professional recommendation it is reasonable in my book for them to charge for their efforts. One of the pieces of advice/wisdom you will pick up here on the owner's forum is some do's and don'ts folks have learned - mostly the hard way. Even if you had been fortunate enough to have an extended warranty in place, calling a repair person or getting the unit serviced without FIRST contacting the Warranty Service provider would have left you most likely out of pocket for those expenditures. As other's have suggested, if you encounter a problem the first call should be to Team Montana at Keystone and the second to the equipment manufacturer. This applies even if you are out of Warranty. Of course, these are personal opinions and you are free to tackle problems however you wish but most of those jumping to Keystone's defense are doing so because of how Keystone has responded to their issues along the way.

You seem to have an extensive history with camping and with Montana 5th wheels and I am glad you have finally joined our community. There is much we can learn from you. I for one would rather learn the easy way vice the hard way. Would still like to hear what floorplan you currently have - it may help point out if certain problems only affect certain models. For instance, we have a rear kitchen model and there are some very specific areas to watch with that floorplan. Also, if it fits in your plans (maybe as a replacement for a less than desirable outing this time)please consider joining us at one of the regional or national rallies. The amount of information and the problems that get resolved make it worth the time and effort (and fuel cost) to attend. Keystone has demonstrated time and again an amazing willingness to listen to the comments (good or bad) of the current owners and make changes to improve their product. Some of these changes occur almost overnight as the lead product satisfaction guy doesn't wait for model year changes to incorporate changes he likes. Good luck in getting your repairs done in a timely manner and please continue to contribute to this site.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #27
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
After reading the very first post about all the problems what was Keystone's fault? Just about everything that went bad was made by someone else and install by Keystone. Tires,Apollo,day and night shades and even the plastic strap that hold the wiring is from Lippert. Maybe I missed something but what Keystone builds there is not a problem with. The slide-out leaving marks was a adjustment that the dealer should have taken care of when new. I hope that you have gotten everything repaired or replaced. Now I will get off the soap box and sit down.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:37 AM   #28
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I just can't believe some of the posts here. Not Keystone's fault? Who makes the decision to take low bid on lots of Chinese (and American) junk? And how long do they continue to use the same crap even when they know it will fail? Apollo? Mission? Oh yea, they finally switched from the Missions to another piece of Chinese junk. Who anchors the strings on the day/night shades by merely running a sheet metal screw through 1/8 paneling knowing it might only hold until you get it off the lot? Who installs the holding tanks without support under the bottom, when the tank manufacturer says it needs support under it? I could go on and on. Give me a break! Some folks act like a little criticism will cause Keystone to crash and burn. I'm not saying the manufacturer of any other brand is better, but when you pay what these units costs, you should be able to hold the manufacturer accountable.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will...I could not have said that better. Right on.. The name on the front is Montana..made by keystone... So your Ford diesel motor blows up..
Ford is not responsible???
Old 07-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #30
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

So your Ford diesel motor blows up..Ford is not responsible???
Nope - There is a waiver on the underside of my hood that says "do not return damaged motor to your Ford Dealer - Call International Harvester at 1-800-eat-.....
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I should not have said that about a Ford Diesel blowing up as we are leaving on a trip and the truck is right outside.....It may have heard me... We are going to the State College, Pa area.Get off a Breezewood and there are some Horrific hills in that area..like 30 EAST. that we did last month. We have been forwarned on a nasty hill on the way so I went out and patted the Ford on the hood and told it we would detour around the big hills so it would not have to pant and wheeze and overheat and scream..I think it felt better
Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #32
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, My Chevy says, "C'mon hills, here I come!" Just joking, of course.....LOL
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #33
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I will add my opinion about repair and warranty work. I had a house built in 2001 and the builder, Spinell homes, gave me a list of people to call if I had problems. Appliance people, heating people, septic people, well people, cabinet people and of course the builders rep for structural problems. I did call several of these people and they were quick to respond. I agree it would be nice to have top name everything in these rigs But, we do get what we pay for. Problem seems to be that a lot of rigs have the same RV quality stuff. This, being our first RV of any kind, has met our expectations so far, few problems, fixed by a dealer or myself, but nothing like listed here. I am out of manufacturer warranty so we'll see how long this thing lasts
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
if I had all the problems the OP had at the same time on the same trip. I might never have Rv'ed again. We have had the majority of his problems over the past two years plus some he did not mention but all were corrected to our complete satisfaction by a dealer or Keystone or extender Warranty. Most of the issues he mentioned were issues that usually pop up in the first year of ownership..How unlucky can you be than to have them hold off till the rig is out of warranty.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #35
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Rich, I pulled those hills with my '03 7.3. Never again! It's the first time I saw the trans temp gauge move. Freightening!
Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #36
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
I agree with what you are saying. It is an inconvenience to have stuff break like that due to sloppy work at the factory. The Montana by Keystone is responsible to make things right. The people that work for them are hired by them, even if they do a job sloppy, any work done by Keystone on the Montana. We love our Montana, had a few major problems, such as the bedroom slide aquator?(sp) not being installed correct and that nasty hydrolic stuff all over our carpet. Keystone made it right, but it was an inconvenience and a big mess.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

I just can't believe some of the posts here. Not Keystone's fault? Who makes the decision to take low bid on lots of Chinese (and American) junk? And how long do they continue to use the same crap even when they know it will fail? Apollo? Mission? Oh yea, they finally switched from the Missions to another piece of Chinese junk. Who anchors the strings on the day/night shades by merely running a sheet metal screw through 1/8 paneling knowing it might only hold until you get it off the lot? Who installs the holding tanks without support under the bottom, when the tank manufacturer says it needs support under it? I could go on and on. Give me a break! Some folks act like a little criticism will cause Keystone to crash and burn. I'm not saying the manufacturer of any other brand is better, but when you pay what these units costs, you should be able to hold the manufacturer accountable.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #37
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I wouldn't want anyone to call me a skeptic, but Mr. Melton tore up more stuff in a couple days than I tore up in a week at Bosch Automotive Test Track west of South Bend, IN. I was a "Heavy Vehicle" test driver for several months there and it was our job to see what broke as we hammered them over the chatters, cobblestones, staggers, harmonics and other common and not so common hazards. The durability track was 2.5 miles around and we were expected to do 120 miles a night. I broke springs, axles, axle housings, fifth wheels, tie rods and steering shafts. But never all in the same night. And 120 miles on that track was equivilant to 120,000 real world.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #38
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

I broke springs, axles, axle housings, fifth wheels, tie rods and steering shafts. But never all in the same night.
You wouldn't get that if you bought a 1-ton

oh, that was fun
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #39
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
The trucks I was driving were class 8 Freightliners, Macks, Sterlings (Fords) and trucks of that ilk. Also we'd do school buses and delivery vans now and then. Ie: UPS, DHL and FEDX. Also, as a general rule, they were overloaded by about 20+%. I don't need a one ton for anything.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hey Bob....Bigger is better... Agree..It took me two years of hard rv'ing to break all that stuff.. He had the worlds worst luck..