Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
DC area campgrounds

I would like some suggestions on a campground for a few days in the Wa.DC area in the first part of May.
Thanks
John

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
kc8lvy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19861
Cherry Hill. They are close to DC and a tour bus can take you to DC and bring you back. We stayed there about 6 years ago when we went down the Eastern Coast.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #3
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
i only know the places around my house in Northern Virginia. Prince William Forest Park has a RV park. It is right off I-95 on Highway 234 that can accept any size rig. It is a National Park but the RV Park is outside the gates. Pohick Bay camp ground on Gunston, Neck in Fairfax County is also nice and very close to the city. Lots of water, park land and nature preserves all over Gunston Neck. Also in Fairfax County is the Bull Run Park Campground just outside Manassas that can accept any size. Great for seeing the battlefield. All are expensive compared to other parts of the country.

Do not go to the one in Gainesville that specializes in people living there and most of it is very nasty. Not for tourists. Also near Gainesville is a family campground that I forget the name of. Not good for big rigs as it is miserable to drive in and all the big spots are in an open field. Further down I-95 in Aquia Harbor is a camp ground right off of Highway 1 but between 1 and 95. It is OK but has so much road noise from I-95 all night I could hardly sleep.

Hope this helps. I will be moving my 3791RD into the Forest Park for 4 or 6 weeks in March to outfit it with stuff (5 miles from my house) and prepare for cross country trip this summer. They have a 2 week rule but I am hoping to work out some kind of deal with them to stay a little longer. Otherwise, I move to Pohick and then back.
Jacksonville, FL
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Fredericksburg koa
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #5
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We stayed at Cherry Hill last year on the recommendation of others online. It's a bit pricey (over $70), but well worth it. The place is clean and well managed and has many amenities. They help you out with so much. The information package we got when we registered included whatever we needed to navigate the Metro system and there was even information on what to see in DC. The laundry room is huge and the nicest I've ever seen. There was an indoor hot tub which we made use of as well. It was easy to drive to the Metro from the park, but you can also take a bus to the station from within the park. It just takes a bit longer than driving there.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
We stayed at Prince William Forest campground last spring for a couple weeks. It was a great place, nice and quiet. Sites are a little close together and a little short but not too bad. We would leave the park and go to the nearest train station to go in to D C. It was very easy. It was about a 30-40 minute ride but very enjoyable. There are several stores and restaurants close to the campground also. Park has a pool but if you're going to be there in May it won't be open yet We were there in May and wished it was open! The days we went in to the city it was 97 with the typical horrible humidity!

So much to see around there! Go and have fun!
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
If you want to spend $80-90/ night, Cherry Hill is the place to do it. If you want to spend $20/night, then Greenbelt National Park is the choice.

https://www.nps.gov/gree/index.htm
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote