Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Ok.... Why a 5er over a Class A?

I hope this posted in the right area...

We are still in the research stage before we purchase with a Montana on the short list more specifically a 3150RL or a High Country 343RL if I can find more info on this Helium Technology Keystone is hyping about. I have found lots of other good info on this site to help us out... (search is our friend)

But a question comes to mind for you hard core 5ers...

Why do you prefer a fifth wheel over a Class A MH?

The main reason I am is because we don’t plan on full timing (a month long trip here and a month there) when I retire where I didn’t want to store an expensive drive train that would only be used when we took out the RV. The TV I use as my daily driver and could keep on doing that... Can’t do that with a MH and would have to buy a toad on top of that...

My neighbor prefers the MH so his DW can move around while on the open road than to be cooped up in the cab of the TV… Not an issue with us… We can stop anytime to stretch and smell the roses...

Thanks in advance for your reply’s.

Tim and Nadine of Calgary

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
For me it's money, initial expense, operating expense, maintenance/repair costs, etc. They also seem to be a bit smaller inside to me.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
I have discussed this with others. For me, I don't see the point of driving in my RV and towing another motorized vehicle behind me when I can simply tow my 5er behind my truck. If I consider the cost of my truck and 5er - I still think am cheaper than a nice class A. As for moving around in the motorhome, there is clearly some risk involved in doing that. Any sudden braking, steering could be dangerous for someone standing in the rig...

I also think they make a trade-off in the layout of the class A and its slides, in that they have to allow for someone to move around the floorplan when the slides are in and you are travelling. As no one is allowed in the 5er, your slides can (and often do) block movement around it, but when you park and open it up its not an issue. I therefore think you get a little more advantage from your slides in a 5er.

Either way - both allow a lot of freedom and fun.
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
All of the above.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Not letting an expensive drive train that I'm paying license fees on sit for long periods was my concern also. Additionally, engines aren't made to sit and not run. I like the room that the 5er slides provide when we're set up. We can still access the bathroom and refrigerator when we stop along the way.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
DH didn't want to have to maintain two engines with having a class A. I agree with countryfolks that the class As feel smaller inside. Also, there is the feeling that you are still inside a "truck" when you turn the driver and passenger seats around. The inside of the 5er feels more like a home. The stairs up into the bedroom make the distinction between the living room and the bedroom. Some people go out in tents, others little TT that look like an egg. Others have rigs worth thousands of dollars. It doesn't matter which way you go, it is all about the experience of traveling around in your "home" and seeing the country!! Good luck in your search and happy trails.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Insurance, We've have both fivers and diesel MH's. Our pusher insurance was $1500 a year. Our new fiver insurance is less than 10% of the pusher.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The issue is what serves YOU best.You really need to do a lot of thinking about that. We did and the determining factor, for the wife, was counter space. She had a tape measure and spec'ed out the counter space and inside storage space on every unit we looked at. Within our price range of course.
We had a completly open mind on type of unit and let our needs make the choice for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
We used to feel we might someday like a motor home. But after weighing the pros and cons, we are very happy with our fifth wheel. For all of the above reasons, the advantages of owning a motorhome do not outweigh the disadvantages. We love the spaciousness inside. As far as being able to move around while on the road, we like stopping every couple of hours and sometimes even more often. It gives us both a chance to move around and stretch our legs. We picked a layout that allows us to use everything inside without putting out the slides, however we really only need the fridge, and the bathroom while on the road. The expense of breakdowns with a motorhome, is our biggest reason for not having one.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
To receive another prospective, you might ask the same question on a Class A board.

As for me, the answers above pretty much explained it all. You also take a huge hit on value with a class A as soon as you drive off the lot - more so IMHO than you do with a combined truck and 5th wheel. Maintenance costs are extreme (a friend of mine pays over $500 when he gets his oil and lube done!).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:05 AM   #11
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Having owned two MH, the 5er is the way to go. In addition to all of the above, license fees and replacement items are more expensive, too, e.g., tires.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:23 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
A friend with a MH told us that he thinks repair places must think because you have a MH, you have lots of money. We agree with all of the above reasons. We were still working when we bought the first 5er and needed to use the truck for other purposes.
Whatever YOU decide will be the best for you.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
It all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. We had a Class A gasser, a 32 foot with 2 slides and most of the time we felt cramped. Another issue some people with MH don't like to discuss is the Cargo Carrying Capacity. A lot of MH have a very limited CCC. Then you have the issue of a Toad so really you are carrying for 2 engines and maintenance along with insurance. And diesel MH maintenance is very expensive along with initial cost. For some money is not an issue - to each their own. And as a driver I seem to be more at ease driving the pickup pulling a trailer than driving that top heavy MH. The convience of moving around in the MH while going down the road just doesn't hold water in my bucket. It is dangerous in any type of vehicle.
I will never go back to a MH. Just my opinion.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
We need a truck for our business. If we had a MH it would not be used in the summer, which would not be good for it. 5th. wheel is the best choice for us. Cost would have been an issue if the decision making process got that far.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the Montana Owners Club Forum. We had a 34' gasser MH and decided to get rid of it for many of the above reasons - a licensed, insured motor vehicle sitting there when not being used and towing another insured, licensed motor vehicle when traveling. The top heavy feeling we got was also brought to bear when traveling broadside to a heavy windstorm once. We got our first Montana 5er to replace the MH in 2002 and loved the difference so much we got our 2nd Montana in '06. We travel from 5-8 months a year and the rest of the time our Monty is in storage. We would not go back to a MH but some do prefer it and you will make the right choice for your circumstances.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
One thing not mentioned so far. On our last trip, we had an engine problem on our truck. Had the truck towed to a dealer for service and the 5er towed to the campground that we had almost reached. Warranty paid for rent car for 3 days and we got to stay in the 5er while the truck was being repaired.
With a MH we would have been in a hotel somewhere.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It appears to us that we have more living space in our Montana than in a comparably sized motor home.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #18
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Here's the clincher. If you go with a motorhome, you'll drift away from here and you'll never find another forum like this one.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Thank you for the replies. We have already made up our minds this is the was the way were going but I was curious what the experienced people thought. For us the pros outweighed the cons by quite a margin. We never took in a few things that was mentioned in this thread into account such as you can still stay in your Monty while your TV is being repaired in the event of a breakdown.

On the Con side I feel the suspension and tires are not up to snuff.... A loaded fifth wheel weight is IMO to close to the maximum limits of the suspension and E rated tires... I don't want to turn this thread into a tire bashing thread so please don't go that way... I was only stating my opinion.

Thank you all again.
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Your opinion is correct in my opinion. However, tires can be upgraded to G-rated tires. Axles have already been upgraded to 7000# in most of the rigs. If you should decide to upgrade to electric-over-hydraulic disk brakes, more than likely it will include an upgrade to 8000# axles(which is only a difference in the axle thickness).

There is a new upgrade or option now available called LevelUp by Lippert or Big Foot Levelers which gives setup characteristics rivaling MH units. I have LevelUp on my rig as an after market upgrade and it is great.

Even with the cost of these upgrades, the fifth wheel is far less of an investment than a medium quality mh. Happy hunting.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote