Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #41
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Possibly another consideration is how "sturdy"/ heavy the empty tire is.
I discovered Michelin XPS Ribs and Bridgestone Duravis R250 Tires weigh MUCH more than other tires of the same size. "More Rubber = stronger tire"? - assuming all the extra weight is not just in the tread?

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #42
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketlake1 View Post
I've read the tire posts for the last 3 years and realize lots of opinions, some very passionate about manufacturer, ST vs LT, etc. Wanted to share my experience
Started with factory Tow Masters, which i'm sure some will refer to as China Bombs, but we made trips from Fla to Mich UP and also Alaska with no issues, so put about 20K miles before a blow, and I believe that was due to under inflation, accidentally running only 60psi when rated for 80.

I did a lot of listening and considering about going to LT's, but ended up purchasing a set of Goodyear Endurance last year. (yes, already how the Goodyear haters opinion will be on that) Have made trips from Fla to Nova Scotia and just returned from a great trip to Utah, so only have a little less than 15K on this set, but believe the Endurance is a pretty good ST.

I think what i consider our success so far is due to 2 things: I am religious about tire pressure now, and keep mine at 75 psi. When we were just in 17 degree weather at Bryce Canyon and heading to Arches, made sure with that cold temp i had them at 75

Also speed, the ST's i have are rated for only 60 MPH and that's what i drive on the highway. Get to my destination a little later, but keeps within the limits of the tire speed, and I'm delighted with the 13 mpg we get on our trips

All that being said, good chance i will go to LT's when i get a new set. No down side, plenty of upside and it only raises the trailer height by probably less than 2 inches

ps: loved the Utah parks, people and weather and now back home in Fla sweating, but happy it's only 85 right now and not 95
Safe Travels
Ken
More proof that (imo) most, not all, peoples' previous tire issues are due to abuse. Whether unaware of, or just ignoring the use of load inflation tables, knowledge of your tires' age, pressure, speed rating, load limitations, and most of all, getting your trailer weighed are all pieces of information required to keep from abusing a tire.
How many people know, for example, their tires' actual speed rating and limit themselves to it? How many people do you think would be surprised to find their tire rated at 60 mph? I was. I'm guilty of being unaware of my tire speed rating (long ago), exceeding it (by only 10 mph) and paying the price. Since educating myself about tires and operating within their limitations I have had zero issues.
Some tires are better than others, but most are fine when used within their limitations, whatever the brand may be.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #43
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I'd like to know what MOC thinks about air or nitrogen. I need to be able to top off my tires without having to haul the camper to a dealership. Thanks for your input.

Nitrogen is great for race cars where a few pounds of air make a big difference in handling or especially aircraft where air temperatures can go from 125 degrees to minus 40 in a few minutes. In our vehicles 78% nitrogen has the best cost benefit ratio, air. Nitrogen has no real benefit in our tires except maybe to make someone feel good.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:22 AM   #44
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Just a note: When a catastrophic tire failure happens at highway speed, it's almost certain the opposing tire on a tandem axle trailer will suffer fatal or near fatal internal damages.
The exact reason that I carry two spares! Been there!
Old 11-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #45
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Hmm...
Regarding opposing tire internal damage.
I've had a few catastrophic tire failures in 11 years of traveling and don't recall the opposing tire failing anytime soon thereafter or at all...

Most recently I lost an entire wheel with a Michelin XPS RIB Tire this Spring. Not sure exactly what failed, but it was definitely catastrophic! After repairs/spare tire installation, the opposing Michelin XPS RIB tire traveled home from there about 100 Miles. Then it traveled about 1500 miles to from Montgomery AL to Cambridge MN. It sat for 5 months while working there and lost 5 lbs of air over that time (measured around 44 degrees on day of departure last month so some of that "loss" was likely due to the COLD). Then it traveled another 1500 miles from MN back home to AL.
If it doesn't make it to the RGV in TX next month or back home next Spring I will post an update.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #46
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Nitrogen is a waste of money for RVs, IMHO.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #47
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is nitrogen’s molecule is larger than air’s that’s why there in much less leakage so the tires stay inflated longer. Also nitrogen dose not transmit heat as much as air.

That said I find air a heck of a lot cheaper.

As for buying a tank of nitrogen or a compressor. The compressor you buy only once and can do more than blow up the tires.

Like blow the leaves and other items off of your outside rugs. Now you just saved buying a leaf blower.

I can’t believe how much money you can save if I just keep going, but you get the idea.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:43 AM   #48
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
“”””LT & ST tires do not carry the same weight, example, LT235/85R16 LRE has a maximum load capacity of 3042# at PSI. The ST235/85R16 LRE has a maximum load capacity of 3640# at 80 PSI. Casing construction materials are larger in the ST tires.“””

That LT tire is not at max load capacity until 106 mph.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #49
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauch View Post
“”””LT & ST tires do not carry the same weight......
That LT tire is not at max load capacity until 106 mph.
Fauch, I was with you till you mentioned mph. The tire is "rated" at x lbs regardless of 65mph or 106mph, otherwise the load rating would be worthless.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #50
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Fauch, I was with you till you mentioned mph. The tire is "rated" at x lbs regardless of 65mph or 106mph, otherwise the load rating would be worthless.

I think we have beat this dead horse discussion about speed , and rating before.
I am with you on the matter for what ever its worth .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #51
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I still do not know why this is so hard to understand. The tire service and speed rating (load/speed index) means that the tire will carry the given load rating UP TO the 106 mph speed Rating. Past 106mph weight capcity starts deminishing. As speed approaches then passes speed rating, weight capacity progressively deminishes. An L speed rated tire (the Saliun) approaches, then goes past it’s load capacity at 75 mph which is better than the ST trailer tires that were rated for max load at 65 mph. Videos of tires in a spin/load machine exploding as speed goes beyond rating with simulated max load, impressively demonstrate the principle of centrifugal force and tire failure.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #52
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRman View Post
Possibly another consideration is how "sturdy"/ heavy the empty tire is.
I discovered Michelin XPS Ribs and Bridgestone Duravis R250 Tires weigh MUCH more than other tires of the same size. "More Rubber = stronger tire"? - assuming all the extra weight is not just in the tread?

Both of those tire brands are steel cased. The Michelin is retreadable.

Those things are for durability. They carry the same weight as a like sized polyester cased tire.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #53
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is nitrogen’s molecule is larger than air’s that’s why there in much less leakage so the tires stay inflated longer. Also nitrogen dose not transmit heat as much as air.

That said I find air a heck of a lot cheaper.

As for buying a tank of nitrogen or a compressor. The compressor you buy only once and can do more than blow up the tires.

Like blow the leaves and other items off of your outside rugs. Now you just saved buying a leaf blower.

I can’t believe how much money you can save if I just keep going, but you get the idea.

Nitrogen information.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...B_44_USTMA.pdf
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote