Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #41
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Sorry to hear about all the trouble you have expreienced. So glad to hear Helen and you are safe and sound. I am also happy to hear that Keystone stepped up and took care of the problem.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #42
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Good post Rich,

Glad to hear it was looked after the way it was. But you are right it should have never happened. Last Night after reading all the post to this subject, I went out to look in the front compartment of our trailer, so I could understand what your problem was. I figured it must have been the charge line, as it was not in a loom and did not have a circuit breaker. As I looked around at the the rest of the wires in the the front compartment, I notice the red wire running from the hot side of the circuit breaker up to the landing gear motor was wedged between the shelve holding the hydraulic pump and couple of wire looms running up into the bedroom floor. As I wiggled them around Little (trying to get the red wire away from the metal shelve) I cut my hand because where the wire was up against the the shelve, the edge of the shelve was razor sharp. Wonder how long it would take that to wear through? At least that wire has a in line fuse. I've had to reconnect 3 or 4 wires that have come apart at connectors inside the under belly. I guess you can't worry about them all but a person should be aware. glad again you & Helen are OK.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #43
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Rich,
We're so glad to hear you got things fixed and made it to Havasu. Now just kick back and relax for a bit and think about all those people back home and all the snow you'll be missing.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #44
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Rich & Helen I'm glad that things are being handled properly by Keystone & the local dealer and that you were able to continue your journey.

Drive safe and enjoy the rest of your trip.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #45
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Glad to hear everything worked out for the better Rich & Helen. I would have a tough time sleeping for a while with something like that happening to me. Hopefully you can put it behind you and know that it is fixed better than new now.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #46
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
WOW! If ANYONE did their homework and their best to ensure a quality RV at delivery time, it was you folks!

I'm very glad that everything is on the way to being resolved, at least on the repair side / Customer Service side. No way, however, to repair the damage done to the Keystone rep re quality control and design flaws. ANY wiring going through the frame or structure MUST have protective grommets in the holes, and the heavy duty stuff needs woven shielding. Wire tensions and routings must be checked, thoroughly, before the areas are "buttoned up" during construction. I had a short due to a "banjo tight" wiring under a slide in the first week of use.

There is plenty of access during construction..get someone in there to check things over and keep us all safe. I add my voice to the "Hey, Keystone" chorus.

Very best to you and Helen

Pat and Nancy
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 AM   #47
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Rich Helen it was very good to hear all turned out well and your speed in shutting things down prevented the whole thing from going up in flames. Also did they fix your fridge?

This is a major concern for everyone or at least it should be. This thread has generated many a response in short time which leads me to believe that maybe we could get something done. Does anyone know a way that we could head in protecting ourselves from these types of dangerous situations? Getting the RV seal of approval people to step up to the plate and forcing better protection from these types of incidents? I believe they should! We have to pay an extra charge for that seal if I remember right. It is sad to see all the people that love their Montana's as this Forum shows have to endure these situations. Why should we have to hear about the bad things that have happened to their homes/2nd homes on a weekly basis. I have found many things on every one of the RV's I have owned needed tended to. Yet over the years nothing changes in quality control. Maybe there is more to that "not to be lived in disclosier" than we know. Is it time for the forum to address this situation and help/force Keystone take their product over the top? Advicates like the ones that post here regular with many of the serious possible life threatening things, should be heard by more than some warranty people.

I am sorry for venting on your post Rich but this should have never happened to you and Helen. You are very right in still being upset about the whole thing.

With that said I beleive this is the time to reflect on the good things this year has brought us and time will heal your bad experience. Have a great time in Havasu and make a few toasts' to all of us that cannot be with the MOC family there.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone....

Tom
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:16 AM   #48
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Glad to see you got it fixed, and sorry to hear about the troubles, you are right could have been very bad. I wonder what would happen if you installed a 100 amp circuit breaker on the converter hot line?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:04 AM   #49
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich and Helen I am glad they got your unit fixed and back on the road. Looks like I am going to have to stop with my my mod's and drop the belly on my unit and get busy installing some split loom. Hope you have a great time where you are now.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 AM   #50
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree with this last post...maybe there should be a circuit breaker on this wire...verses waiting for the wire to act as a fuseable link! Sounds like the hydraulic line might have been assisting in the premature failure as it would have been moving the wire during slide operation. Wish Keystone would consider routing the wiring in a pvc pipe or some sort of channel to provide additional protection. As it is now, its just draped under there and hangs between the cross-members, not even tie wraps to hold them from bouncing around.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 AM   #51
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
How scary to know that you were so close to diaster. Very glad that you were able to react fast enough. Y'all definately have angels on your shoulders. Even on the very lowest end of RV's made, the electrical wiring should be safe no matter what, period. Again, so happy that you are safe.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 AM   #52
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Rich ...

I have copied your description of the problem and its solution to my dealer and told him to put it in my file. I want a complete inspection of the system in question (and a demonstration of what they did to ensure safety and security) when we de-winterize the Monty in the Spring. Situations like this are a whole different ball game from the occasional water leaks and minor annoyances. This is serious stuff and if we all bury our dealers with copies of your experience, maybe the message will start to seep through to Keystone.

We are glad you have things back together and made it to your destination safely. Best wishes for the Holidays and for a warm, relaxing summer away from the Lake Erie snowbelt!

Bill & Ann
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 AM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sitting at Rich's computer this morning... reading over all the posts on this issue. THANK YOU! everyone, for your well wishes, concerns and great advice. I find him on the forum morning, noon and night. That's a lot of sitting still, but worth every lethargic minute when you consider how helpful it has been to us and everyone else. Maybe at the next national gathering, we could forum in person and get the Keystone people in there with us to see if there is an effective avenue to institute much needed changes. We were more than lucky that Rich thought to shut everything down. What if it had been someone else... not only would they have lost all their belongings but possibly their lives.

Once we made it into Havasu, we had a little bit of trouble finding the park(in the dark) and had a heck of a time backing this creature into a gravel based slot (b e a u t i f u l park though)... seems three layers of plastic leveling blocks aren't quite enough, so we'll be out shopping today. Other than that, we met up with my brother, who lives here, and will hook up with Ozz later. Things are getting better... and there's this bright ball of light in the sky (which we don't get to see in the winter, very often, back in norther Ohio). I must admit though.. it could be just a little WARMER?!?!? brrrr

Very Merry Christmas and Happy, Happy New Year to all!

Helen
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:53 AM   #54
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Because of this problem posted by Rich and Helen and JH Sechelt's post, I've calendared myself to crawl under and open the belly and do what I can to prevent a similar problem. I've calendered it for the first of January when we are in warmer weather and on a concrete pad. Hopefully we'll not have a problem enroute. I will check more accessible areas before we leave. Many thanks for bringing this problem to our attention. I think all of us are thankful that Helen and Rich caught this problem as early as they did, before getting hurt or losing their Montana and contents entirely.

I agree Keystone needs to consider some method to preclude this problem before someone gets hurt. We've seen them listen to us about freezing water lines and they did a great job of solving that problem. Now, how about fixing this electrical problem?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of our MOC friends.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #55
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Anyone who can do the job of pulling down the bottom plastic themselves, or hire it done, should do so.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #56
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree with Steve..Montana does listen to us as many of us know first hand but I think it is up to us to bring a serious problem to their attention. keystone did request that the burnt wiring bundle be returned to the service center by Rv lifestyles along with the damaged hydraulic cable for analysis. We also will be at the service center in April upon our return. RV lifestyles did NOT use the same routing for the wiring bundle that burnt but rather routed it through the front cap and into the compartment rather than into the under belly then back into the compartment.We will also follow up on this and communicate with the highest levels of Montana who by the way is a real nice person and we know he will listen..Please do not interpret our disappointment as a condemnation of Keystone Montana but rather the system they are part of..
Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 AM   #57
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I sure hope that Keystone will look into this and do something and the sooner the better. I am happy to hear that you and Helen are alright...that had to be scary for you both!
Enjoy the rest of trip and Happy Holidays to you both!
Thanks for posting this all too!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:16 AM   #58
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Glad you found some of our "New World Craftsmen" out here in the West.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #59
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If anyone needs Rv service while in Quartzsite RV lifestyles is the place to go...Exit 17 off I-10 behind the Loves fuel stop.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 AM   #60
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
Rich,
I know you were in the underbelly of your rig when you first bought it. Did you see potential warnings of this problem? I know you bundled some wires better, but were you able to see the potential routing problems which caused the short? And has anyone else on the forum had this same problem? As you can see I have many questions and concerns about this as do all Montana owners!
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote