Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Wet bolt failure

While under the rig today to prepare to install ice maker water line, I noticed that the streetside rear spring hanger had a unique twist to the inside part, the rear of the spring captured inside the top of the hanger and the bolt broke in half with the nut attached to the remaining part of the bolt. Inside hole on the hanger is oval shaped now...so the hanger will need to be cut off and a new one welded back. Since I am running load range h tires, there wasn't a lot of tire damage to the inside edge. Figure it must have happened somewhere on interstate 75 here in sw florida as we were arriving at the end of october. I had checked and greased all my wet bolts prior to leaving here in may...and nothing was amiss then. Time to do inspections at least four times a year now. Bolt was broken right where the grease exit hole is. IF I stay with the normal suspension, I will replace wet bolts every three years as five years seems to be a little too long. Those folks that have recently had I.S. with disc brakes installed, what was your out the door costs? Thanks john

jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
SimilarClick image for larger version

Name:	broken camper suspendsion.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	1065

Click image for larger version

Name:	new camper suspension 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	1066

Similar thing happened to me last year. I replaced the entire suspension.
If it happens again, It will be preplaced with the Mor Ryde IS
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I bought my unit used with Kodiac Disc brakes already install by the previous owners. I have his receipt, and I believe it was around $4500. Can be done for around $1500 if you do it yourself.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Seems to happen a bit more than I like. I wonder if shocks would prevent this from happening by preventing the bounce in the suspension. I am glad you caught it as quite a few people do not do their own maintenance and might have drove a lot further before something bad happened or more suspension components were ruined.

Tom Marty
Old 01-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
As I sat here and thought about it, I took this as a sign that the morryde 8k i.s. system with disc brakes would make me much happier. So I am set with an appt in early June to get the work done. Current cost for the 7k system is 4,000 if using your existing drum brakes, 8k system with drum brakes just 500 more, 7k system with disc brakes is 6,000, and 8k with disc is 6500. Yeah, I think a lot about the outlay of money, but it will save me a bunch of time not laying on my back under the trailer replacing stuff. Now i'll be able to do normal things like bearing checks, disc pad replacement sitting beside the unit. I was going to start flying lessons for powered parasail...but using the money on the morryde system is the safer way to go.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
There seems to be a rash of broken Wet Bolts showing up on numerous forums. Our good Friends and Traveling companions experienced a broken Wet Bolt last spring, they did the upgrade to Mor/ryde 8K IS this fall before heading to Florida.
We're on our third fifthwheel with Mor/ryde IS and not a single issue with the system and we've been from Florida to Alaska and back, Florida to New Foundland and back, plus many trips inbetween.