Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
New Montana Issues

This is our first long range excursion in our new 310 RE, and in general we love it, but....there are a few irritating issues. 1. The auto leveler quit working; have to manually level with a bubble level. 2. Black water dump valve won't shut all the way; have to put a bucket under the connector when I remove the cap. 3. #2 slide gets stuck 1/2 way out, has to be restarted to get it extended or retracted all the way. 4. Oven pilot will not light. 5. Bedroom dresser drawer tracks not fastened; drawers flop around. 6. Shower door threshold leaks. 6. Black water tank flush does not work. Not real impressed with the workmanship and quality control. For 50k I expected better. Is my experience typical? This is our third TT, and we bought new so we wouldn't have to fight with problems and repairs.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Surprised some of that was not caught during your PDI. Good news, under warranty. Take it back to the dealer for fixes. And yes, finding issues on new units unfortunately is far far too common regardless of brand.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
My 3750 had a weak auto reset breaker on Hydraulic pump. LCI replaced it with 80 amp manual reset. That solved all my hydraulic issues
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:49 AM   #4
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I really would not like to see what these units look like from the factory. If I believe my dealer (Ha Ha) told me they will have already fixed most issues from the factory. My dealer also told me they did an air pressure test. Probably waving my check on the way to the bank. I spent 1/2 day doing a PDI and still missed half a dozen issues. It is a shame that we often blame ourselves for not catching defects on a PDI that should not have to be done if the industry had any quality or good service availability. They are in the state the American auto industry was in the 50's and 60's and we put up with it. I have read about the black and grey valves being mislabelled on this site on older posts. If the industry cared why were they still mislabelled on my 2016. NO Quality or corrective action in manufacturing so PDI' are essential as once they have the money they are satisfied and you are waiting an appointment or an Keystone authorization to repair.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:01 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Your dealer did not do a proper inspection of the unit and make corrections BEFORE you did your own PDI. When buying from my dealer he hooks up and checks EVERYTHING for 3 days before you do your own PDI and take delivery. He did this on both Montana units I bought from him and neither had to go back for anything. If I buy again it will be from him! I have personally witnessed this on my 2 units and others he (his crew) were prepping for delivery. Used a check list about 4 pages long.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Your dealer did not do a proper inspection of the unit and make corrections BEFORE you did your own PDI. When buying from my dealer he hooks up and checks EVERYTHING for 3 days before you do your own PDI and take delivery. He did this on both Montana units I bought from him and neither had to go back for anything. If I buy again it will be from him! I have personally witnessed this on my 2 units and others he (his crew) were prepping for delivery. Used a check list about 4 pages long.
Please give us the name and location of your dealer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #7
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Actually, some of these problems (leveler, slides, black water valve) did not manifest themselves during our first 3 shake-down trips, although there were some issues that show poor dealer prep, like sawdust in the drawers. I fixed the shower issue myself so nothing would get wrecked. We are 1000 miles from home, and don't want to try and find a dealer local, but will drop it off when we get home. I can deal with the issues until then, but I shouldn't have to.

Interesting comment comparing the state of the industry to the auto industry. They didn't get their act together until 20 years after the imports took a big bite out of sales. How about a Honda RV?#128515;
Old 08-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #8
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Well if I live long enough maybe We can buy a Honda, RV. I remember when 50,000 miles in a car was worn out. Are any RV's made in Canada?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #9
pammer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18641
New 2016 3721 RL here. On our way out next week for a 3 day shakedown in Durango, CO. We have been driveway camping since we got the new Montana in July with tanks full of water, slides in and out, etc. So far no problems other than the crappy "Whisper Quiet" air conditioning that just can't keep up in 100+ degree weather (W don't anticipate that the air conditioning will be a problem in Colorado.) I hope we don't find any issues while on the road.
pammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
We are in Las Vegas (108*F) this week. We have a single 15,000 BTU AC. We are gone most of the day, leave it on full all day long, with all the blinds closed and roof vents closed, just so we can sleep when we get back in the evening. By about 2 AM (still 90+ outside), we have to turn the T-stat up to 67 to keep from freezing. Most of the RVs around the park have 2 ACs. One trick I learned was to turn the fan on first, to "HI" then when it is running, switch it to AC. Not sure why, but it seems to work better. Also, we keep the bedroom and bathroom doors closed. Also, a cheap box fan in the living room seems to help. I also think it stays cooler without the ceiling fan running. Experiment to see what works best for you.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #11
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We just left Las Vegas... Damn it was HOT, The Rv would be above 80 with two acs.. Bedroom stayed cool.. Why Vegas I keep asking myself....
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:13 AM   #12
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Our 2015 stayed in the shop for 5 months. Black water valve would not close. Water heater not working on electric. Caps all chipped up.shower door handles falling off. Trim at ceiling Falling on the floor, lights not lighting, led lights burning out. Ceiling fan screws falling out..myriad of other issues.. What really pisses me off is keystone will not give any info!. Looking for another 5th wheel that is NOT A THOR company...... Thetford not holding toilet water..Awning rail vinyl mounding falling apart.. Screws and staples showing thru roof. If some of us got together and parked them on the dealer lots, stop making payments, tell thebank and finance companies all the problems and they may refuse to loan on Thor products!. This would hurt Thor where it counts!.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Wow thought I had double vision there for a second but ya posted twice anyway 5 MONTHS in the dealer YIKES!!yeah I would be PO'd too and that does suck for sure and sounds like you got one made on a Friday or a Monday,yeah ya could park it at Thor's doorstep and make a statement and then buy a Forest River or a Grand Designs Product and you will be doing the same thing with them Unfortunately, OR Maybee you will luck out and get a good one from them as it is a Crap shoot with any of these companies , as a Fulltimer for 6 years I have met SOOOOOO many people with SOB's that have the same complaints , THOR own's 11 RV brands,Forest River about 8 and the lone Ranger Grand Designs which I have 3 friends with them and all 3 have been back to the dealer many times for Warranty work ,So roll the dice and pick any brand you want and I hope you get a good one You also have what sounds like a Real Bad Dealer ,hope you get everything fixed CHOP CHOP!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dfb

Our 2015 stayed in the shop for 5 months. Black water valve would not close. Water heater not working on electric. Caps all chipped up.shower door handles falling off. Trim at ceiling Falling on the floor, lights not lighting, led lights burning out. Ceiling fan screws falling out..myriad of other issues.. What really pisses me off is keystone will not give any info!. Looking for another 5th wheel that is NOT A THOR company...... Thetford not holding toilet water..Awning rail vinyl mounding falling apart.. Screws and staples showing thru roof. If some of us got together and parked them on the dealer lots, stop making payments, tell thebank and finance companies all the problems and they may refuse to loan on Thor products!. This would hurt Thor where it counts!.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:59 AM   #14
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
I had a few of those issues and a couple different ones. Anything I didn't fix The dealer did and I did not have to leave it there for 5 months. I used my trailer and brought it in to get fixed when I was done with it. Keystone covered everything under warranty without a fight. I believe the dealer has a lot to do with this. I am sorry you didn't get a great dealer, but I would not bash Keystone. I still have 1 outstanding issue to be addressed and I can truly say Keystone is stepping up to the plate and fixing it. I have yet to figure out why some people have good customer service and others say they cant get any service or support. Is it the Dealer? Is it attitude? Persistence? Maybe all three.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #15
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I would think any and all of these issues should be covered under warranty. I think we did a great job on our PDI as I took help along. Still we found little things and some things developed after we took it home and used it a few times. I think it should be expected to have small issues develop. In Keystones defense, they build them and set them on a lot to be delivered, never to be seen again in most cases. The jostling these things take while going down the road is tremendous. I may me an exception, but overall, I'm happy with the quality of ours.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #16
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I also think it is the dealer and of course the luck of the draw. I bought two rigs a 2010 Mountaineer and then a 2015 Montna from Lakeshore in Mi. This is a very high volume dealer. I bought the first rig at the end of September the start of the slow season and the customer service people were all over us. We stayed on site for 3 days and it seemed like every few hours one of the service people would stop by to ask if every thing was working correctly.

The second rig was bought in July in the middle of the busy season and what a difference. The rig was not cleaned inside or out. They didn't wash it till we were hooking up to leave. The expected 3 day stay turned into 7 days. The fridge quit working and the Service Manager just was not all that concerned about it. I had to get the salesman and the assistant service manager to have the most experancend tech look at it. In the end they had to swap it out with the same fridge form another rig.

But the good news is we have a Montana delar in Lake Havasu Ciry AZ (Sunshine) that will work on any rig even if it was not bought from them. They did warranty work on a black tank that would not drain. Made the appointment took it and 3 days latter it was back home. Service Manager got the ok from Keystone after the fact.

I have had no other issues and have towed it 7500 miles on a trip last year. Well except for the low bridge incident. I live in it 7'to 8 months a yearl so I guess I got a good one.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #17
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
From the recent activity, communications, etc. I am sure that Keystone Montana Customer service is being directed to disavow as many warranty repairs as possible to reduce Keystone cost. 5 of my first 9 issues were denied. Then I got 3 of these approved. Then after I was elevated to owner relations I was denied still two but today won those 2.

So for those that like to think positive My warranty from Keystone did cover all but one defect which is a current design defect. My claims started on 2 June 2016 and should be resolved by 25 August 2016. I did not keep track of the time on phone calls or emails or visiting my RV in the warranty facilities.

So would you buy a car you could not drive for 3 months but still had to make 3 payments?

Old 08-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #18
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
James: What were the issues/defects that were denied?
Old 09-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #19
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Keystone refused to pay for the labor to troubleshoot the AC System when I took it back to the selling Dealer. They also refused to replace a window shade with a hole and a cracked window, the also refused to pay for cleaning out the burner on a water heater that would not light and burn properly. I had 9 items on my repair list and none of them were fixed to my satisfaction. I fixed part of the AC duct system and thermostats myself and the third warranty dealer fixed the rear AC separator.

I eventually got my case elevated to owner relations that did authorize all repairs after months of arguments. It is unfortunately still in the 3rd warranty dealers waiting for parts. Well over three months sitting in the dealers to get the list of issues I submitted on 3 June repaired.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:31 AM   #20
pammer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18641
Oy Vey! This is ridiculous. I hope your repairs are done soon. Keep us posted.

We are on our way this morning to Angel Fire, NM then on to the RMRR in Canon City, CO. This is only our 2nd trip in the new 3721RL...I hope all goes well. When I hear stories like yours it makes me very nervous.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

Keystone refused to pay for the labor to troubleshoot the AC System when I took it back to the selling Dealer. They also refused to replace a window shade with a hole and a cracked window, the also refused to pay for cleaning out the burner on a water heater that would not light and burn properly. I had 9 items on my repair list and none of them were fixed to my satisfaction. I fixed part of the AC duct system and thermostats myself and the third warranty dealer fixed the rear AC separator.

I eventually got my case elevated to owner relations that did authorize all repairs after months of arguments. It is unfortunately still in the 3rd warranty dealers waiting for parts. Well over three months sitting in the dealers to get the list of issues I submitted on 3 June repaired.
pammer is offline   Reply With Quote