Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
Black hard plastic panel

I have a 2005 3295rk, on the underside of the bedroom slide there is a black hard plastic panel. Other than to warp crack and fall off what is its purpose? Does it aide in extension and retraction of the slide , is it used as a shield against water/ moisture intrusion? Does it really "need" to be there. I was wondering weather the slide needs to be pulled out and the whole panel replaced, or can I cut out the bad part and just replace that. Thanks in advance.

gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Someone that has or had that year of monty will have to provide your answer. All my slides are different than what you describe. Fix the water leak/s before bothering to fix the bottom of the slide and whatever weather proofing they used back then. John
Old 04-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
My 05 2980RL had the black plastic cover on the bedroom slide bottom. It weather proofs the wood particle board floor under the head of the bed and provides a smooth surface to slide across the bedroom carpeting. Yes after 10+ years it is likely to crack. Newer models have a black fabric like plastic weave material on their slide undersides called Darco underbelly fabric. You don't have to go back with the plastic, but you need something to cover the bare wood as a moisture barrier and at the same time not be splintery to catch the carpet as it slides in and out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:19 AM   #4
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
Thanks dieselguy, that's what I was thinking. I have Darco on the other 2 slide bottoms. I was thinking about cutting out the bad parts and replacing it with vinyl tile flooring squares. I don't want to pull the slide out, I think that I can replace almost all of it. Hey it's getting old.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote