Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Trav'lr Installation

Wife commented on lack of HD Directv channels, so we installed the Winegard Trav'lr antennae this last week. Spent at least two days modifying the cabinetry over the television to run the cables and mount the various power supplies with adequate ventilation. Then the one day in the last 10 when the weather cleared for the day and we were able to actually install the antennae. After reading the instructions about four times over and assembling all the possible tools, caulk, parts, and cables we took on the roof. To make a long story short (5 hours), we finally got the antennae on the roof and installed. The worst part was the 59 lb antennae. With the dear wife pushing it up the ladder and me pulling it up, we finally got it to the roof. DW finally conceded maybe we should have called our son for that part. Oh well, it's done now. Best part, it worked. Thought it would never see over the roof of the house, through the chimney, and through all the trees; but it searched for awhile and settled down in about three minutes on a cloudy day, and had found all three satellites. Hooked up the receiver and (WOW) we have HD television. You can do it, just follow the instructions very carefully. I keep forgetting all my jobs take about 2 1/2 times as long as my estimate to accomplish. I have found that is the price of doing it right the first time and ending up with a professional appearing (and functioning) project. Would recommend the product to anyone interested in HD using Directv.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
What is it that Bob says in the movie Monty Walsh? "Slow down, you'll get a more harmonious outcome." Sounds sensible to me.
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
We love ours. Works great as long as you do not camp under too many trees.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have our second Travl'r. We liked it so much on the Big Sky, we got one on #3.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've had ours for several years and love it. Push a button and you get TV set up, push another and the rig levels it'self, now if we could just push a button and the sewer hose would find the hole and hook up on it's own we'd be set.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We have one also and really do love it. Makes setting up so easy and works great!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
johnregrus
Established Member

M.O.C. #17320
Did you have to install the Winegard Trav'er off centre to the centre line of the trailer roof?

When I was checking into getting one installed on my 2015 Montana the installer told me that these units could only be installed off centre on the roof because of the roof curvature.

This worries me as I think the automatic dish would be off a few degrees when looking for a satellite.
johnregrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good Job! Congrats for doing the install.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Ours was installed by CW in Las Vegas several years ago, and it is dead center on the roof, about over the kitchen. Whatever they did, it's been perfect.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
Sundogette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13254
Will join in on the chorus of yes, we have it and love it. Can park, unhook, auto level, start satellite search, hook up power and sewer.
Usually have the recliners and tables out and a cold beer in hand within 15 minutes. Agree with DQ, only wish there was an auto pilot for sewer .
Solar inverter is a one button push. We also carry a freestanding satellite dish and tri pod if we are camping in the trees. Set up is a little tricky,
but with the dish finder ap on our cell phones, a spreadsheet I keep on the satellite settings, we can usually dial the HD TV in without too much trouble.
Sundogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:15 AM   #11
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I have a question for those of you who have installed the Winegard Trav'ler. I have wired my Monty for DirecTV SWM Genie and Genie Client, but I use a tripod dish and only one wire goes to the Convenience Center where I have the SWM splitter. Because the Living Room cabinet is the largest place for extra hardware, I put the SWM power supply brick there.

So my questions is how can I get the Trav'ler SWM signal cable back to the Convenience Center? This would allow me use the Trav'ler when I have no trees and the tripod dish when I have trees. Only one cable has to be changed that way. I would like the Trav'ler control box in the LR cabinet.

BTW, I have the DirecTV OTA receiver connected to my Genie box so my local OTA TV can be recorded along side the Satellite channels.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:59 AM   #12
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
jfaberna: I have the Direct TV Genie box, the traveler auto dish and also carry a separate dish for when trees are in the way.

In my convenience center there are 3 cable connections (Cable TV, Satellite Living room, Satellite Bedroom). I ran the cable from the Traveler Dish to the back of the Satellite Bedroom connection (since this connection is no longer needed with the Genie). If I am using the Traveler Dish I connect a short 6" jumper cable from the Satellite Bedroom connector to the Satellite Living Room connector. This feeds the signal to the living room and the Genie. If I am using the portable tri-pod dish I connect it directly to the Satellite Living Room connector and remove the short jumper. If I ever want to use Cable TV I just connect it to the Cable TV connector and it goes everywhere.

Hope this makes sense to you.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote