Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
LED strip wired into outside light

I noticed that several folks out there have wired these strips into one of the outside 12 volt lights . I would like to do that too since I have a light close to one end above the door. The problem is that I do not know how to attach the 4 wires to what in the light socket. Currently I have used the hole where the awning gets power and then just completed the hole through to the inside which is fairly close to a plug and then have hidden everything under the chest of drawers. Thanks in advance for any guidance and wisdom.

Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you have the multi colored lights (four wires leads me to make that assumption) you have to connect the white box which is the computer to control the lights and then proved 12vdc power to that control box.

Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Thank you John for your reply. You are correct it is the 4 wire type. What I do not know what to do is how to get 12 volt power from the light to the wires . I know there is a plug to take the transformer plug into it. Do I put the positive side of 12 volts to the 4 wires ? I am not a very good electrician
Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Don,
You have to use this led control box as the interface.

You can click on the link to get more information.
The box plugs into the four wires and then you have a round power plug slot to apply 12vdc. I am guessing you ordered the cheaper LED string. The down side is it did not come with the control and remote.

I hope this helps.

If there are still more information please let me know.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
I have everything in that picture except the black wire plug with that is not terminated. I will have to find that somewhere. Maybe Radio shack ? With that I should be able to move forward. I should then be able to use the wires coming to the outside light for this control box. Thanks John ! I hope I can return the favor sometime.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Don,
No worries. I work on pay forward. Yes take the white box with you to Radio shack and you should be able to get the black plug.

Safe travels.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
h john
i just bought the same led setup its the 5050 led set with remote if i buy the 12v black end from readio shack is that what you use to power up the controller from the outside porch lite.
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Don,
No worries. I work on pay forward. Yes take the white box with you to Radio shack and you should be able to get the black plug.

Safe travels.
I tried two Radio Shack's no luck!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Yes I found the plugs at Radio Shack. I thiink that I should be able to connect the light outside above the door. John, do you know which of the connectors on the plug that the hot from the light should be attached to ?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Okeirver, Yes that plug with wires attached will power the computer. It uses 12 vdc.

Petmoose, the center pin is 12vdc positive. There fore the barrel is ground.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
You an find the plug on EBay for about 95 cents.
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
If you have any old AC power adapters laying around that you are not using just cut the round plug end off (make sure it fits first) and use that to plug into the white control box. Then connect the 2 wire to you 12v source(porch light). I never throw out my old power adapters.I keep them in box for future use just in case.
That how I wired in my 12v multicolored Led light strip. I wired it into my porch light. I also replaced my porch light assy and my scare light at the same time. I installed motion sensor porch light with the Led bulb and scare light assy. I was able to hide the small white control box inside the porch light behind the lens. I then drill a small hole in the porch light assy and added a micro toggle switch ( from radio shack) to it so I can switch between the Led light strip or the porch light. Here's the RV motion sensor porch light
http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc...11&idcategory= and scare light I installed http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc...2&idcategory=4 . It works great. I purchased it from Amazon. They had the best price.