Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Another Air Conditioning Question?

I have a few questions:

The a/c is running constantly which I would expect in this extreme heat, but what mode should the fan be on automatic, high or low?

Would one mode be better than another to use in this heat?

How do you know that a/c has frozen up?

If it is frozen, what do you do, besides shutting it down for awhile?

I thought I had read something on this but when I do a search, can't find it. When I get an answer, will have to add it to my file that I keep from the forum.

Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Loui
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12538
Send a message via MSN to Loui
I don't know where you are located? In this heat and with this humidity here in Ontario the best thing to do is keep the filter clean, the fan on high, I open the louvers right at the unit slightly to make the air flow a little easier as well.
If the air flow gets slowed down too much the unit can freeze and you will notice this when the air flow slows down or even stops.

The best way to remedy this should it freeze is to turn the unit off and let it thaw out.

When Ozz (the HVAC tech)reads this he may have even better information

Cheers
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm sure I have read multiple times it is best to leave the fan on auto to lower chance of freeze-up. Where's Ozz when you need him?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I was thinking just the opposite. That keeping the fan running all the time kept air flow over the coils and helped defrost them when/if the compressor turned off.
But there I go thinking again.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many recommend running the fan on high all the time. We use auto and it choses high most of the time in the Kansas heat. As mentioned, if your unit begins to freeze up the air flow will be restricted. If that happens shut the unit off and set the fan to high and run the fan until the ice block is melted.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
DQDick is right. In very humid weather, run the fan on high. The compressor will cycle normally. The moving air will melt ice and dry the fins and condensation, which is the real problem. When the unit is on auto and the fan stops, the condensation builds up and either drips into the room or freezes in the fins. Clean filters are key.
Also, The Magnificent Ozz posted on removing the vents and trimming the portion that extrudes into the duct. It really helped my airflow volume.
Last week we spent a few days with our son in his new Outback. We trimmed the extrusions and doubled his volume, much cooler and no more freeze up.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks for the responses. I thought running the fan on high was the way to go too, but I wasn't sure.

Jim just put it on high. Hopefully we will have just one more day of this heat wave in Maine.

Wish this heat wave breaks for all.

Thanks again,
Marge
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Larry thanks for the info about trimming the vents, will pass it on to Jim.

Marge
Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

DQDick is right. In very humid weather, run the fan on high. The compressor will cycle normally. The moving air will melt ice and dry the fins and condensation, which is the real problem. When the unit is on auto and the fan stops, the condensation builds up and either drips into the room or freezes in the fins. Clean filters are key.
Also, The Magnificent Ozz posted on removing the vents and trimming the portion that extrudes into the duct. It really helped my airflow volume.
Last week we spent a few days with our son in his new Outback. We trimmed the extrusions and doubled his volume, much cooler and no more freeze up.
Larry, how much did you trim them and what do you use to cut them with???
Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, the fan on high all the time is the answer I've heard, but I haven't had the rig in the bad heat for a while. Mostly Fall and Spring outings for me and the A/C isn't need so much. We already know that my rig with only one A/C is NO FUN in the heat so we avoid hot outings for now.

Mainer, that was a funny comment! I really do hope you meant it as a joke cuz it's pretty funny if it is. Otherwise tell me it's something I don't know and I'll have to get the scissors or exacto knife. Oh my, I do think he means trim them as in direct them in a certain way to get the proper air usage, like trimming the sails. You don't actually trim them like cutting them. My apologies if that was a serious question.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
It was recommended to trim vents. My understanding is to pull the vent out of duct and the part that goes up into the duct is trimmed. Too much of the duct is blocked by excess vent protruding into duct. Someone fell free to correct if I'm wrong.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Yup, the fan on high all the time is the answer I've heard, but I haven't had the rig in the bad heat for a while. Mostly Fall and Spring outings for me and the A/C isn't need so much. We already know that my rig with only one A/C is NO FUN in the heat so we avoid hot outings for now.

Mainer, that was a funny comment! I really do hope you meant it as a joke cuz it's pretty funny if it is. Otherwise tell me it's something I don't know and I'll have to get the scissors or exacto knife. Oh my, I do think he means trim them as in direct them in a certain way to get the proper air usage, like trimming the sails. You don't actually trim them like cutting them. My apologies if that was a serious question.

Hi Art,

No apology is necessary, but it was a serious question. I think you do pull the vent out of the duct and trim them, not sure if you trim them flush. I kind of remember OZZ mentioning it and I think he posted pictures too.

Now that you know this too, maybe it will help you and others too, with this heat. It's amazing what we learn on this great forum.

Marge
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here's the link to what Ozz did: https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Here's the link to what Ozz did: https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink
Thanks Dick, that's what I was looking for!

Marge
Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
After removing the vents, trim them enough that they don't protrude into the duct. I used dykes or cutting pliers. Very easy to do. It would be good to make sure all the aluminum tape is smoothed down around the vents also. I think Ozz even added a few extra vents to his. After doing the mod on ours, I'm well satisfied.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry folks, been super-busy fixing every A/C unit in K.C., it seems. been on the job at 5 and 6 most mornings, 7 days a week. Envy those who are retired... hey! I'm supposed to be retired..
Today is a vacation day, don't have to be there till 9:00 this A.M.
Great advice here in this thread, Yep, I added vents and also cut the collars down on the existing ones, anything a person can to do to reduce restriction in the airflow. Thanks Dick for the link.
Carry on folks!
Change the filter and keep the outdoor coils clean... don't bend the fins..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote