Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
jrpend
Established Member

M.O.C. #13482
Newbie Question: How long a bed?

Greetings!! -

Shopping for a truck to pull a future Montana and I got how long a bed I needed.

I could call the RV dealer, but I'm trying not to get close to them yet, so perhaps one of the kind souls on this forum can enlighten me.

I don't want to have slider hitch, however we are concerned about the overall length of the tow vehicle (has to be an extended cab or better). Dodge offers 6.4 and 8 foot beds - I'm not sure what GMC or Chevy offer (all the horror stories about powerstroke are deflecting us from Ford)

We are leaning quite heavily towards the 3402RL.

So how big a bed do I need?

Thanks,
Jerald Pendleton
Montana Wannbe

jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Ive got an 8 foot bed, dually, crew cab. I have learned that for me it gives everything I need. Stability, power, room. But then I have a 38 ft Big Sky that weighs a few lb's....Yes, it is a chore to park it, or to wrangle it around in gas staions or parking lots, much less in my own driveway, but you learn to do what you have to do. Mine is also a 08 Ford 350, with the 6.4 Power stroke. I have had NO issues with the engine, except a minor oil leak about a year after I got it. As long as you are staying away from the old 6.0 you are probably OK. And the new 6.7 is reportedly even better. JMHO.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I use a long bed, crew cab Ram 350. It pulls my 3750 good. It is not as maneuverable as Jeep Wrangler, but so far I haven't hit anything or body
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
2012 Dodge 8ft bed, dually, quad cab. Lots of room for people to sit in the back and lots of room for our dog when traveling. Also the long box allows me to have a large storage box mounted in the front of the box which you cannot do with a short box. (see pic)

I have a 3402RL so the two units are plenty long, but I have never gotten myself into a place I could not get out of.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
There are pro's and con's to both the 6.5' bed and the 8' bed. My first three trucks were short beds and my last three trucks have been long beds. Personally, after my first long bed, I found I would not go back to the short bed. Having the longer wheel base helps with overall ride comfort, stability when towing, and provides options for hauling cargo. Plus having the extra fuel capacity is another nice perk. My suggestion - buy the biggest truck you can as once I started buying RV's, it never failed that the next few model years always had bigger and better features. I'd rather only trade the coach and not have to worry about trading the coach and the truck every time a new coach caught my eye. Just my opinion. My current truck is a 2012 Ram 3500HD Dual Rear Wheel crewcab 4x4.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Like all big or long things, you'll get used to it. As an owner of both short and long bed trucks, I'll never go back to a short bed. The extra length is so much more useful over the short bed. I find much more comfort carrying in an 8' bed over the shorter bed, plus adding the bed extender and I'm 10 ft long for cargo. I've carried and moved many without having to rent a trailer (like with a short bed).

As for parking, I usually back into a space and sticking out a little more doesn't bother too many if you park correctly so it's not enough to worry about. One of these days if I ever get a dually, well then I'm parking farther away anyway. The longer walk can't hurt.

For me, it's better to have it and not need it, than not have it when you need it!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Art summed it up very well... "Better to have it & not need it than need it and not have it".
This applies to many things in life.
We have a short bed (see my signature). I have no complaints. It runs well, is powerful and has the same Cummins turbo engine as the long bed 3500.
We purchased a Pullrite slider hitch (see signature) because of the short bed. We're I to buy again, I would have bought a long bed 3500 dually. I would not then need a slider hitch (they are expensive) and I would have the capacity to tow a heavier load with confidence.
The 3500 dually long bed is a few more $$$ but if you can swing it, would be money well spent (IMHO). Personally, I would get a Dodge but that's just my preference. Good luck with whatever you choose!!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have the Dodge Maxi Cab because we want the space in the truck. As a result we have the 6'4" bed. We have a slider hitch just in case, but I have to keep it oiled because we haven't used it in more than two years. With what you will be spending on a new truck don't let the hitch force the decision. Get what you want and work with want you decide on. You'll be happy you did. I don't know what we would do without that extra inside space, but that's us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
We're pulling a 3400RL with a 2011 Ford F-350 extended cab and 8'bed. The 6.7 diesel is powerful and smooth. I personally like the long box for a variety of other jobs the truck does plus the smooth ride. (only when towing)!!!!
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

...Ive got an 8 foot bed, dually, crew cab...
Same here...Chevy Duramax Diesel/Allison is a good combination. FYI, GM now makes a short bed, too.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you don't want a slider, then the long bed is the only answer. Personally I have a long bed for the extra space, better ride, no slider and the larger fuel tank. Don't let the 6.0L Ford horror stories scare you away from the newer 6.7L Ford. It is a fine truck as are the other current Chevy and Dodge vehicles. I also have a crew cab for extra interior space. Yea it is long but I have never been unable to get it into a spot I wanted.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
We have the 8' bed and crew cab. Love it! Won't go back to a short bed for the same reasons as others have said. I also questioned the need for the 8' vs the 6.5' before I bought it. Now I don't know why I thought about the shorter bed.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Had a short bed once, before the 5thwheel. Like the long bed better for the 5th wheel. Would not buy a short bed again, regardless of what I am towing.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
If we ever have occasion to replace our truck I will get the long bed version. We do have a slider hitch.
The short bed is fine but I realized later that the long would be better.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
My thought is buy a long bed and a slider for it, you may never need it but I would think that it would come in handy if you ever needed to adjust the weight on your truck or trailer! I drive a semi and if I am pulling a heavy load I adjust the position of the pin and can also adjust the trailer wheels to make the load legal, I know you can't adjust a 5th wheel axle so a slider sounds like a good investment to me! Anyone disagree? I ask this as I am in the research mode for our future adventures on the road and want to be prepared as does Jerald! Thanks for your input!
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #16
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
When I bought my truck, GM only offered the longbed in the 1 ton dually. I probably would have opted for a shortbed if I had the choice. My other trucks were all shortbeds. Looking back now, I'm glad I didn't have the choice, because I've gotten to really appreciate the extra room that the longbed has to offer. As others have said, it can be cumbersome at times, especially with the dually, but I park away from the crowd and avoid tight situations when possible. I doubt I'll go back to a shortbed, especially if I continue to tow, which I intend to do. The slider isn't a must-have for all shortbeds depending on the configuration of the nose of the 5th wheel, but if I were to buy a shortbed, I'd definitely get a hitch with the slider. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #17
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Go with the long bed.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #18
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
Its important to consider the overall use of your truck. For us, we have always had short bed trucks and are currently considering another one. Our truck is not only used as a hauler but it also is a daily driver. We are not full time but we do winter in the south and the truck is our only vehicle during that period. DW does not hesitate to drive our truck but I can tell you, she would not drive a long bed dually around in traffic or parking lots. Boy, that would really put a damper on my going to play golf with the guys and leaving her stranded because she doesn't have vehicle to drive!!! After we return home the truck is still my daily driver and it will fit in the garage along side my wifes vehicle. Also, to me a big pro for the short bed is the ability to get into tight camp sites that long bed trucks either can't or really struggle with. I do have a slider and have had it for eight years and have never had the need to utilize it; although it is conforting to know its there if needed. A couple of the cons of a short bed is the fuel tank capacity as noted in other posts and also the payload/GVWR specs of some of the older trucks. Most of the newer truck specs of the 1 tons can handle the load since the manufacturers have upped their game. Good luck with our choice....it really is a matter of personal preference.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #19
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Back when I was in the market for a P/U I asked my Cousin who has owned P/U's for years. 6ft or 8ft, He said "If you what a Truck get a Truck" So I have been driving 8ft beds ever since
Just last week Hauled a Golf Cart and 8ft Lumber with Tail Gate closed. As mentioned Ride with the long Wheel and the larger Gas tank just to mention a few advantages.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I agree with much of what already has been said. One thing you should research closer (based on your original post) is discounting the Ford engine. Their diesel changed in 2011 and I think if you check it out you will be impressed. I just hit 24,000 miles and am getting 14mpg pulling and 16-19 not pulling. As far as bed lengths, I can only speak about Fords new heavy duty. It is not a 6' bed but a 6.5' bed, or the 8' bed. When I had my hitch installed on my 2012 F350 I knew we were going to purchase a 3400RL Montana. The dealer that sold/installed the hitch said I would need a slider. I followed his advise and spent the extra for the slider. I have jacked it as far as possible and never needed to slide it back. The shape of the front of my Montana negates my need for a slider I guess. I have jacked it so far that if I went any further the truck would be backing up and the trailer would actually be going forward. We are full time and when down south for the winter I didn't want to deal with a dually or a long bed extended cab.