Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #41
Thrappas

M.O.C. #12533
Thanks for all the info on this topic. I will do my homework and plan to have my Montana weighed before I upgrade including it's replacement. Good piece of mind and documentation in the event I'm questioned interstate. My 03 GMC 2500HD (83K Duramax Diesel) manual states a max of 3k pin weight so I don't think there's a problem there. I appreciate evryone imput.
Gary

Thrappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #42
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thrappas

Thanks for all the info on this topic. I will do my homework and plan to have my Montana weighed before I upgrade including it's replacement. Good piece of mind and documentation in the event I'm questioned interstate. My 03 GMC 2500HD (83K Duramax Diesel) manual states a max of 3k pin weight so I don't think there's a problem there. I appreciate evryone imput.
Gary
Don't go by the brochure for pin weight. Probably most of us are all pushing 3k on pin weight - Doesn't leave you any cushion.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #43
Thrappas

M.O.C. #12533
So how do I determine the actual pin weight of the 5th wheel?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

Gary
Don't go by the brochure for pin weight. Probably most of us are all pushing 3k on pin weight - Doesn't leave you any cushion.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #44
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Just weigh the truck by itself to get that weight, then hook up the trailer and put just the truck on the scale and the added weight will be the pin weight.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
Thrappas

M.O.C. #12533
That makes perfect sense. When the snow melts I'll take it to a scale and get the numbers. Thanks again.
Gary
Quote:

Just weigh the truck by itself to get that weight, then hook up the trailer and put just the truck on the scale and the added weight will be the pin weight.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #46
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

That makes perfect sense. When the snow melts I'll take it to a scale and get the numbers. Thanks again.
Gary
Quote:

No problem, hope it helps. I had to be careful with mine for a couple of reasons. I have the front living room which is supposed to weigh more than a front bedroom. I also have a generator right up front which adds to the front weight, as well as an extra battery. It all adds up very quickly!

Greg
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #47
Thrappas

M.O.C. #12533
Yes, weight is a issue with the big rigs. I purchased Two Honda 2K generators (3k was too heavy + I still needed two) for dry camping primarly for lighter weight and ease to lift as age is creeping up on me. Normally we don't need them but as we start traveling some distance it's a nice convenience to pull over and have power. I'm not ready to bite the bullet on a new truck especially when I still have low mileage on my diesel (83K)not to mention the cost of replacement.
Spending so $$$ getting her running & looking good. Looking forward to some serious travel and possible joining the work campers program.
Non-campers don't realize how rewarding it is to meet good people of all works of life and travel throughout the country in your own bed and the comforts of home on wheels. As I tell my friends about my idea of roughing it is not having cable.
You've been very helpful.
Happy Travels,
Gary

Quote:

Gary
Quote:

No problem, hope it helps. I had to be careful with mine for a couple of reasons. I have the front living room which is supposed to weigh more than a front bedroom. I also have a generator right up front which adds to the front weight, as well as an extra battery. It all adds up very quickly!

Greg

[/quote]
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #48
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Yes, weight is a issue with the big rigs. I purchased Two Honda 2K generators (3k was too heavy + I still needed two) for dry camping primarly for lighter weight and ease to lift as age is creeping up on me. Normally we don't need them but as we start traveling some distance it's a nice convenience to pull over and have power. I'm not ready to bite the bullet on a new truck especially when I still have low mileage on my diesel (83K)not to mention the cost of replacement.
Spending so $$$ getting her running & looking good. Looking forward to some serious travel and possible joining the work campers program.
Non-campers don't realize how rewarding it is to meet good people of all works of life and travel throughout the country in your own bed and the comforts of home on wheels. As I tell my friends about my idea of roughing it is not having cable.
You've been very helpful.
Happy Travels,
Gary

Quote:

Gary
Quote:

Greg
[/quote]

Gary,

Yeah, you can't go wrong with those Hondas. Nice to be able to use them on other projects too since they're portable. We use to dry camp a lot with dog coursing and I sure wish we had had the genny then, but we're looking at getting a new dog soon so we probably will be dry camping a lot again.

That truck is hardly broke in since it's a diesel. I just took mine in for it's first oil change since it's been a year since I bought it, and the guys couldn't believe I only have 4,500 miles on it. We only use it to tow basically, and I have an old car to use just for running errands so that's nice.

That work camping sounds great. I hope we can do that down the road, but for now the dear wife is still working.

Yeah, we don't rough it by any means with these trailers and all the hook-ups. I call it RVing, not camping since we have three televisions, two AC units, and a convection oven LOL "camping" just doesn't seem to fit any more!

Take care,

Greg
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #49
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
FWIW, the actual pin weight on our 2006 3500RL loaded was 2,525, and according to the guy doing the weighing, we had 750lbs in reserve on our 06 3500 SRW. The 3500 was a bit of an oddity. Each axle weighted within 175lbs of each other and the side to side weight was identical. I hope we have someone to do weights at the Fall rally so I can get the new trailer weighed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #50
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
In the paperwork for my 07 D/A it had a blanket statement saying the max PW for a 2500 was 3k and the max PW for a 3500 was 3.5k. What it did not say was that NO 2500 could carry that much PW except a gasser OR that the cargo capacity for my dually was over 700# above the 3,500# noted. No explanation, just figures.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #51
Thrappas

M.O.C. #12533

Tom,
My 2003 GMC 2500HD should be close to your pin weight. I was told the only difference between the 2500HD and the 3500 was 300lb capacity load to meet the requirements for classification of 3/4 Ton. Our Montana 3475RE Dry weight is 11500 and I'll be towing an additional 1100 lbs and yes I understand now how important the pin weight is now. That being said I'm not willing to downsize at this point in my life especially when I want to full-time most of the year. Just waiting for Peg to retire and I'll do the same.
Any suggestions on where to go to get an accurate weight reading? I have two dump stations where I can get a weight, but the only concern is the 5th wheel will be sligthly uphill while I'm on the scale. This affect the reading.
Unrelated to this topic. Do you have the Paramount package on your 3625RE? The one I'm looking at does, but they're not giving much on the deal, but I know how to play the game.
Gary

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

FWIW, the actual pin weight on our 2006 3500RL loaded was 2,525, and according to the guy doing the weighing, we had 750lbs in reserve on our 06 3500 SRW. The 3500 was a bit of an oddity. Each axle weighted within 175lbs of each other and the side to side weight was identical. I hope we have someone to do weights at the Fall rally so I can get the new trailer weighed.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #52
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Gary, unless the grade off the scale is radical, I doubt it will affect the weight much. You could ask them to weigh it both ways - with the truck off the front of the scale, then off the back side to see. While your method of weighing will give you the info you need for pin weight, getting both trailer and truck weighed by each axle (in other words by each wheel) is the best way to go to give you a complete understanding of where you stand. You should also make sure both truck and trailer are loaded for camping to be most realistic.

The difference in weight rating between the 2500 and 3500SRW are due to two things: an added leaf over weight spring, and the rating of the wheels/tires. So from a technical standpoint, you could upgrade your 2500 to 3500 SRW specs by adding those components. Throw on a couple extra wheels and a new bed you'd have a dually! GM used to use steel wheels on the 3500 (both versions), but I see now they are offering alloy.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #53
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
Any suggestions on where to go to get an accurate weight reading? I have two dump stations where I can get a weight, but the only concern is the 5th wheel will be sligthly uphill while I'm on the scale. This affect the reading.
Most truck stops have certified scales. Typically around $10 for the first weigh and a couple of bucks for any additional weighs. So for under $15 you can weigh the entire setup, pull off disconnect then weigh just the truck and you will have all your weights.

Others have also said they have used local grain elevators to get weighed also.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #54
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RonD

Dave, I think you will get answers all over the chart on that question, those who own a SRW will say that is the one, and a Dually the same thing. I have towed with both, they both have pros and cons, for a daily driver the short bed SRW would be the best, for outright towing the long bed Dually would be the best, and the Dually will carry more weight and do better in wind, I profer the Dually as I have now over the SRW, I don't like the wide back end when dealing with parking lots or city traffic, but when home I have a Toyota 4x4 that is my driver, the truck is for the Montana only, best of luck on your decision.
IMHO, whether or not it's a daily driver, used as a run around vehicle and similar questions are totally irrelevant. There are only two considerations when shopping for a tow vehicle...can it carry the pin weight and pull the load...while staying within the factory numbers.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #55
crasa

M.O.C. #13268
I realize that I am new to this forum but I have been reading forums like this for years and I have NEVER read of anyone towing with a dually and switching to a SRW because it handled better or was safer.
crasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #56
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crasa

I realize that I am new to this forum but I have been reading forums like this for years and I have NEVER read of anyone towing with a dually and switching to a SRW because it handled better or was safer.
I'd have to agree with you on that one Larry! I got my first dually last year, and I can't ever see going "backwards" on handling and safety and getting a SRW to tow one of these big fifth wheels.