Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Firestone Transforce HT Tires for 5th wheel?

Anyone installed Firestone Transforce HT Tires 235/85 R16's on their Montana 3400RL's? If so, what has been your experience? Did you buy the extra Road Hazard coverage?

Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
I put a set on my 2955RL and have gone on two 400 mile round trips. I leave next Monday for Dauphin Island from KC and might have more to say about them then. As of now, with 800 miles on them, they pull true and still look pristine.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I put them on our 3400 and haven’t had any trouble at all with them. I purchased the same size as you mentioned. I also put them on the truck and really enjoy the smoothness of the ride.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have used Firestone Transforce LTs on all three of our Montanas with absolutely no problems. No blowouts, no flats, no unusual wear. 15K on the current set and they look great. Based on our over 10 years of running them, see no reason for us to spend the extra bucks on G Loads.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Other then BF Goodrich's that is another brand I have heard mentioned quite a bit that folks like.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We run them on both our Monty and our dually....never a problem and yes we got the road hazard for a just in case.....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Went fulltime 7/1/1999- First year on Marathons- Replaced 7 or 8 tires the first year- Goodyear finally "helped out" on the last one- Switched to the Firestone Transforce HD on both truck and trailer at that point- Have not had any problems since- We are on the fourth set now- Always replace trailer tires after 3 years- Trailer tires are put in service on driver axle for 3 years, then retired- Repeat with new tires on trailer and move trailer tires to driver axle- Buy new tires for steer axle when needed- Replaced tires become spares- This process guarantees no tire becomes outdated and maximum use is achieved at minimum cost- I also purchase a road hazzard warranty with FREE flat repair and an annual rotation and balance- Of course, it helps to have a relationship with your local Firestone company operated facility- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Was told today by Firestone Regional management that Firestone will not warranty a Transforce HT Tire mounted on any 5th wheel or trailer. No warranty of any kind even the extra cost warranty for Road Hazards. Not the basic warranty that comes with the tire when mounted on a truck No warranty at all when mounted on a 5th wheel or trailer.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
we bought our 2007 3075RL from a gentlemen who has been building fire trucks and apparatus for 35 years. The Firestone Trans-force HT goes on a lot of their equipment. He put a new set on the trailer just prior to sale. These tires have a higher speed rating than St tires. These are E rated at 3042 lbs.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Desert RVer

Was told today by Firestone Regional management that Firestone will not warranty a Transforce HT Tire mounted on any 5th wheel or trailer. No warranty of any kind even the extra cost warranty for Road Hazards. Not the basic warranty that comes with the tire when mounted on a truck No warranty at all when mounted on a 5th wheel or trailer.
That is correct. Still, a great tire to select and use.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I wish LonnieB would comment on this, I value his advice.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
For what its worth, when I was replacing my tires, Lonnie sent me a list of tires that he recommended. One of them was the Firestone Transforce HT Tires 235/85. If I recall, they weren't on the top of his list but in the top 5. I chose this tire because it was available and the Firestone dealer in my area was easily accessible to bring my rig for the change. Price was also good as I spent less than $700 for all four including metal valve stems. I have been very happy with the tire.

BTW, it said right on the work order, no warranty.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jwedell

Send him a PM if you do not see a comment soon....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By jwedell

Your wish is my command.

The Firestone Transforce HT is a very good tire. I install them on trailers of all kinds on a daily basis, including the trailer I use to pick up and deliver tires. I have no problem recommending this tire for trailer use. IMHO it's as good as or better than the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A.

Quote:
quote:By Desert RVer

As far as I know, these tires still carry the Materials and Workmanship warranty no matter if they are installed on a trailer. I will check into this and let you know. With the exception of one or two brands, road hazard warranties are not provided by the tire manufacturer, and none for trailer or commercial applications. The road hazard warranties are provided by the selling dealer and work like insurance policies. The dealer hopes to sell enough warranties to at least cover any claims that may arise. Due to the many hazards that trailer and commercial use tires are subjected to, most dealers (myself included) won't offer the road hazard warranty.

Over the course of the last seven years, I have sold approximately 1900 of the Firestone Transforce H/T's for both truck and trailer use, the majority of which were to local customers, and not one tire has failed due to materials or workmanship. A few have been ruined by road hazards, or ran flat though.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #15
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Quote:
quote:By jwedell

Your wish is my command.

The Firestone Transforce HT is a very good tire. I install them on trailers of all kinds on a daily basis, including the trailer I use to pick up and deliver tires. I have no problem recommending this tire for trailer use. IMHO it's as good as or better than the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A.

Quote:
quote:By Desert RVer

As far as I know, these tires still carry the Materials and Workmanship warranty no matter if they are installed on a trailer. I will check into this and let you know. With the exception of one or two brands, road hazard warranties are not provided by the tire manufacturer, and none for trailer or commercial applications. The road hazard warranties are provided by the selling dealer and work like insurance policies. The dealer hopes to sell enough warranties to at least cover any claims that may arise. Due to the many hazards that trailer and commercial use tires are subjected to, most dealers (myself included) won't offer the road hazard warranty.

Over the course of the last seven years, I have sold approximately 1900 of the Firestone Transforce H/T's for both truck and trailer use, the majority of which were to local customers, and not one tire has failed due to materials or workmanship. A few have been ruined by road hazards, or ran flat though.
Lonnie,

When reading the Firestone Warranty booklet, check page 32: "What this limited Warranty does not cover, paragraph B. .....misuse or misapplication....

Subject to interpretation but.... could be a reason to deny a claim based on using Light Truck Tires on a 5th wheel or trailer.