Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Another Silly Tire Question - Changing Them

No way can I get the Monty into the tire place. No room to maneuver, period. Not an option.

If they can get the tires I'm considering, I'll ask if they can do it here.

So, do these tires need to be balanced like on a vehicle?

If the tire guys won't come out, our crew guys here could probably do it, or Dave could . . . I'd rather have "real" tire guys change 'em, though.

Sheesh, I've purchased vehicle tires before, of course, but never tires for a 5er! Thanks!

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Can you get it close - like maybe across the street so they can do it? If not, there are some places now advertising they will come to your place and change/balance them. I don't know if there is anyone near you that offers that service or not. I took mine own off, 2 at a time and took them to the tire dealer myself.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Oops, doubled the post..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When Goodyear sent my replacment tires I had them balanced, I think it's a good idea. I pulled 2 off mine at a time and took them to the tire shop, then put them back on. Not a bad job, but it is a bit of work. and it saved me $80.00 for the field service call.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
If you do have someone change them for you, BE SURE THEY DO NOT TRY TO LIFT YOUR MONTANA BY THE AXELS...or just as bad (or maybe worse), line their jack up on the underbelly (as someone started to do on ours)!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Nope, can't get close to the tire shop I'm looking at using. Two-lane hilly/mountainous, no shoulder, no place to park, etc. Nuts.

We have used this shop for tires on the company truck and they did a good job. They know tires.

Owner/manager of tire shop is a USMC buddy with a contractor here (also a Marine). Contractor said he would try to get us a discount.

Bottom line, I trust them as opposed to going to a chain place where I know no one.

Problem is access. This is a rural area and there is no way period to get the rig there or close. Heck, the roads going there are so narrow and tree-lined/overhanging that my Monty wouldn't even fit on the roads.

Additionally, moving our rig is a big project. We are full-timers static working and semi-permanently hooked into sewer, etc. Can be done, of course, but is a MAJOR effort. The best way to have the tires put on in the immediate future is someone come here. Otherwise, we'd have to find a big franchise place to stop at the next time we go somewhere - like in the Spring.

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Ozz is right. Without a doubt get them balanced. Theres no difference in why you would get your truck tires balanced vs the trailer. Balancing them helps to keep the tires wearing evenly around the entire circumference of the tire. My last 5ver I did the same as Ozz and took them off two at a time, ran them to the shop, had the tires mounted, new stems, balanced, and out the door.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you're rural they should be able to come to you. Most tractors and combines are changed in the field. We had ours balanced and I would recommend it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'll speak for several others here on the MOC ... there's nothing wrong with placing a jack directly under the springs and jacking up your fiver. Several of us have done it with absolutely no issue. Tire and RV dealers do it with no issue. You'll put just as much stress on the entire fiver trying to hoist it up in the air by trying to equally pump on several jacks under the frame. You'll also have to jack it up at least 2 times as high while lifting more weight to boot. The warning by the manufacturer is just a CYA for them in case "Joe Average" doesn't know any better than place a jack right in the middle of an axle in an attempt to lift the whole thing up all at once. If possible, hook it up to your truck for added stability, chock the wheels on the opposite side, and go for it one side at a time.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you don't need them right now --- and it sounds like you will be in same place for a few more months --- why don't you just wait until you hit the road. Then you can just find an easily accessible place to get them changed. And like others have said I'd recommend you get them balanced.

If you MUST have them NOW then you should be able to find a tire dealer that has a mobile setup. Just about every tire dealer in our area has a truck that can do, in the field, everything that can be done in the tire shop. Of course we are a heavy agricultural area so we have many vehicles that must be serviced in the field.

Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote