Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Frame flex

I know there has been lots of talk about frameflex in the past, but I wanted to know if I might have a problem coming or is this with in normal range.
I noticed on the last trip it seemed that the pin box move up more than I remember it moving in the past. There are no cracks or seperartions that I can find in the trailer, but when weight is put on the pin box it moves up about 1/4 inch. and probaly moves 3/8 to 1/2 when traveling.
This might have always moved and I just didn't notice it.

mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Your pin box is going to flex some when you put a load on it and I have been told by Monatana that this is within the normal range of flex
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Darrel told me, at the Rally, to look for separation at the seals on the front cap or damage in the closet area in the cap. If the seals are tight and nothings coming apart inside, he said it should be alright. So much talk of frame flex going around I got nervous also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
My pin box does the same thing. Almost seems like it is moving about an 1 inch or so up and down. I have also noticed that some of the staples are coming out in the closet on the right side of the wall between the closet and the cabinet. Is this what you meant by damage?

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Packerfan - MIght be bad news for you. My Monty started flexing and the wall inside the closet was bowing and cracking. Then it completely cracked thru. Also noticed at this time that the pin box would move at least an inch up and down when towing. So I checked it out in the closet, raised the trailer off the hitch and watched the bow disappear (or appear - i forget which was okay and which bad).
Most welds were broken. Cost about $1800 to fix and another $100 to patch up the closet.
By the way, the dealer mentioned that air bags could cause this to get bad or occur in the first place. The bags raise the truck up but sort of solidify it so there is not as much bounce. Which makes the pin box go thud thud instead of bounce bounce. For what it's worth.
Good luck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I had the exact same thing happen as twindman but Keystone covered the repair as it was less that a year old and well within warranty. No air bags on our F350 so the I suppose they can add to the problem but in my opinion the frame is under built. On average I would guess we're at least 1000 lbs lighter than gross carrying capacity. They welded in some additional gussets and welded the cross beams together where needed.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
About 1/4" movement is considered normal. That's according to the repair shop where we had ours repaired a couple years ago.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
We have the same thing going on in our closet with the staples comming out and the wood paneling cracking. We have had the problems at the 7th week of ownership on the way home from Az. with frame flex and Keystone says it is within tollerance, I have alway's said yes there is a problem so in October it will be going back in for warranty work near the Keystone plant in Pendleton Or. for the flex issue and other things...........Ron
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On the factory tour Montana indicated they are going to a 12 inch frame.maybe that will put the frame flex issue to rest????? However I got a 10 inch frame on my new 2013.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That was my thought too. Good idea, but too late for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks for the good news. When we head down to Tenessee we may have to take a detour to the factory. Does anyone know if you can just stop in at the factory in Indiana and have them look at it?
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I cant see how the 12" I beam will have any affect on the frame flex issue. The flex is all up in the front end of the unit near the hitch. The I beam is nowhere near it.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

I agree with Lee F. we have a diff. Keystone product, but can't say the name I was told. But we have a 12 inch frame and we also have some flex about 1/4.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

I cant see how the 12" I beam will have any affect on the frame flex issue. The flex is all up in the front end of the unit near the hitch. The I beam is nowhere near it.
I would tend to agree, unless the 10 inch frame didn't provide enough support for the front mounted structure and 12 inch does.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The weakest part of the frame in a 5th wheel is from the bedroom forward. That's where our frame flex appeared and where the correction had to be made. When we had it corrected it has held for five years with no sign of flexing. Another MOCer didn't have the same results as we did using the same repair shop and for that I feel really bad. This repair shop is in the business of building trucks like the big Peterbilts and Macks so it isn't that they don't know what they're doing. I still recommend them to anyone who desires frame flex repair.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I noticed the cracking as well as the staples pulling on the right lower closet panel on our new unit. Also we have noticed a noise when walking into the bedroom that sounds like the sheet metal under the nose is buckling. I have looked at the welds that can be seen-they aren't award winning welds, but not cracked that I can see. Is this a problem that should go back to the factory to be repaired or can the local dealer handle it?
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
When we hooked up today to leave the CG, I went into the front closet while my wife lowered the 5ver on the truck and you would not believe how much the paneling in the closet bows and all the poping going on. I have left messages with a Keystone repair shop in Pendleton Or, to get this thing in. As mentioned before, this all started around the 7th week of ownership down in Az. while heading home and had it in before to the dealear we bought it from for 2 months, yes 2 months nd Keystone said it was within tollerence, (I DON"T THINK SO) not when the front cabinetry is comming appart and the siding is shifting up and down under the bedroom slide.......Ron
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #18
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Our pin box has about the same movement. We even had a bow in the closet wall. We trimmed about 1/4 inch off the bottom and all is well. They have to flex some. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
To Montana3800RE: our 3700 is essentially the same as yours. The front closet wall also started bowing and pulling staples after a few months. Keystone says they were (apparently still are) using a thin piece of paneling in order to save weight. As some flex is "normal" (their words not mine) they said they are replacing the vertical wall with a thicker panel and trimming a bit off the bottom. Another member (Papabeav) had the same issue and was told the same thing.

I haven't seen the results yet (they did a lot more than that and I am out of town) so I can't tell you exactly what was done. Don't accept "it is normal". They (Keystone) know there is a problem with the cabinet walls.

I advise you get to your dealer and have them contact Montana. There are two different support groups in Goshen. One works only with customers and the other works exclusively with dealers. A dealer has to have each and every warranty repair preapproved by Montana. Consequently the dealer service group is much more knowledgeable. There also seems to be a turn over problem in the customer service side. I have had four different reps working on my problem(s). In the last three months I talk to a rep and the next time I call I find they have left and a new one is assigned. Fortunately, my dealer is my advocate with the Dealer service part of the organization and they are the ones getting the repairs completed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

To Montana3800RE: our 3700 is essentially the same as yours. The front closet wall also started bowing and pulling staples after a few months. Keystone says they were (apparently still are) using a thin piece of paneling in order to save weight. As some flex is "normal" (their words not mine) they said they are replacing the vertical wall with a thicker panel and trimming a bit off the bottom. Another member (Papabeav) had the same issue and was told the same thing.

I haven't seen the results yet (they did a lot more than that and I am out of town) so I can't tell you exactly what was done. Don't accept "it is normal". They (Keystone) know there is a problem with the cabinet walls.

I advise you get to your dealer and have them contact Montana. There are two different support groups in Goshen. One works only with customers and the other works exclusively with dealers. A dealer has to have each and every warranty repair preapproved by Montana. Consequently the dealer service group is much more knowledgeable. There also seems to be a turn over problem in the customer service side. I have had four different reps working on my problem(s). In the last three months I talk to a rep and the next time I call I find they have left and a new one is assigned. Fortunately, my dealer is my advocate with the Dealer service part of the organization and they are the ones getting the repairs completed.

Thanks for the info, I do intend to stay on top of it as much as possible. The repair shop it is going to is very close to a Keystone and Lippert plant and I have requested a Keystone rep to be there when I take it in. I know folks are not in there trailer when they hook it up to the TV, but I thought what the heck maybe I can tell where all the creaking was coming from and wow alot there is and also movement, that's what I want the rep to look at and he can not tell me that is within tolerance. I do not want this trailer back until it is fixed correctly and able to tow it safely down the road............Ron