Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Voyager Wireless Backup Camera Opinions?

Anyone own one or talked with owners on the road? We have read both good and bad reviews. Seems they were a bit flakey when they first came out but the last few years have seen big improvement. We are thinking about having the dealer place the camera on the back of the BigSky and installing the monitor when we pick up the rig. Thanks!

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I purchased mine from RVCAM and finally finished the cabling install yesterday. RVCAM worked with me on a couple items and a return of one bad camera.
I will use it Friday when I move about 40 miles.

Edit - sorry I missed the wireless. I went with the wired camera system.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
We have had one on the 5er for three years and love it.
If you get one installed, here are 2 suggestions-from experience.
First, make sure that you put a bead of silicone on the transmitter where it meets the front cap. It looks like a white hockey puck and is held to the cap with two-sided tape. Water gets in behind and damages the small circuit board.
Second, the power cord connection on the monitor is very flimsy. I attached mine to the monitor itself using a cable support.
The camera works well, both for backing up and seeing what is behind you on the highway.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We have had one since our rig was new. In 3 1/2 years it has worked flawlessly...less than 1/3 of the time. To camera was replaced under warranty. The monitor was replaced once under warranty and once under an extended warranty. Most recent replacement was in April. It worked once. We hit the road May 17, had a couple of pull through sites where we did not need it, then had our first back in...no go. As we are on the road all summer I called my dealer to let them know and they will work it out when we get home in September. Again. When this thing works it is wonderful, but it has been a total bust for us.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I have a back up camera as well as two side cameras...never use any of them.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We picked up the system last year while at the Rally. Installed it prior to our trip South for the winter. Seemed to work OK in warm weather, not so good in colder weather. But even when it worked it would still go in and out so you couldn't really depend on it. Now I see by their adds that the units now have a 90 foot range so that may help. Left ours on the Montana when we traded for our SOB.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would go with the wired version. I looked into the wireless, and there are just too many electrical 'Gizmo's' on modern trucks that can interfere. I have to get within 10' of my garage door in order to use the opener, the electronics in the truck jam the signal.
I have the wired camera and monitor, wouldn't be without it. When I pass someone, when I see them in the monitor, I know it's OK to pull in front of them, backing is much safer now also. We get in service stations, and when backing, there is always some idiot that pulls behind you.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ozz, what kind do you have?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I went with Tim at RV Cams, I don't recall the brand, but like John, I had an issue with a camera, and Tim was responsive and went beyond what he had to do, to make things right, great customer service. I think Rich (and Helen) has the same unit.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...20for%20truck/
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...view%20camera/
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I have a wireless unit. Didn't cost that much, but it said the range was 100'. I think they forgot to mention that the 100' should be over a lake or desert. The wire that connected the camera to the transmitter was only 6' long, so it had to send the signal from about 3' from the back of the monty to the truck cab. Needless to say the only time it worked was if the truck & trailer were at 90 degrees. I ended up cutting the wire, and extending the transmitter to the front compartment which made a big difference. The monitor is only 4", so not much good. I never use it now.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
After researching the wireless camera system, I decided to go the a wired system. Mine are from Rearview Safety Systems. I installed the rear and side cameras on the Monty.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
We have the Voyager Wireless which came with our unit. So far it's been pretty good. Once in awhile the screen will go in and out but usually it works the way it should. My Cobra (all in one unit)CB radio reacts to the Voyager when it get to close to the Voyager's screen. So far that's the only real problem I have encountered. But having any camera in the back of your unit is well worth having and the safest way to go.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote