Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
NATION WIDE Emergency test 9 Nov 2011

I received this from our local EOC and felt it worth posting.

On November 9th FEMA, DHS and FCC will conduct the first national test of the Nationwide Emergency Alert System test. This test will kick off at 1:00 p.m. (CST). The test will be nationwide, running concurrently across all time zones.

This system test is the first of its kind. It is designed to broadcast a nationwide message to the American public. Nothing like it has been conducted in the history of the country. There have been tests in the past but none to all parts of the Nation at the same time. The test will run concurrently on all radio and TV bands and the message will run for three minutes. Most messages in the past were anywhere from 30 second to 1 minute.

There is great concern in local police and emergency management circles about undue public anxiety over this test. The test message on TV might not indicate that it is just a test. Fear is that the lack of an explanation message might create panic. Please share this information with your family and friends so they are aware of the test.

Below is additional information, along with two websites, that will provide more information...

What will people hear and see during the Test?

During the test, listeners will hear a message indicating that "This is a test." Although the EAS Test may resemble the periodic, monthly EAS tests that most Americans are already familiar with, there will be some differences in what viewers will see and hear. The audio message will be the same for all EAS participants; however due to limitations in the EAS, the video test message scroll may not be the same or indicate that "this is a test." This is due to the use of the live EAN code - the same code that would be used in an actual emergency. The text at the top of the television screen may indicate that an "Emergency Alert Notification has been issued."

This notification is used to disseminate a national alert and in this case, the test. In addition, the background image that appears on video screens during an alert may indicate that "this is a test," but in some instances there might not be an image at all.

There are several limitations to the current EAS for individuals with access and functional needs. FEMA and the FCC are committed to providing organizations and the EAS community with information well in advance of the Test. FEMA and the FCC will further engage the EAS community to better understand the wide range of information and access needs in preparation for the national EAS. IPAWS has been performing outreach to access and functional needs organizations in several different forums, including working groups and roundtables led by the FEMA Office of Disability Integration and Coordination, with representation from multiple FEMA program offices, other Department of Homeland Security components, and other Federal Departments and Agencies.

http://www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/eas_info.shtm

https://nationaldialogue-emergencyal...ideascale.com/

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
War of the Worlds again?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks for the "heads up". I wasn't aware of this. I'm going to pass it on.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
Thanks, John.
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, thanks for the heads up.... I hope ALL media says something about it to ensure notification.

I will be hoping for some interruption of the Judge Joe Brown show where I live. At least now, I'll know why. I guess I should be more concerned if the show doesn't get interrupted. Wouldn't this mean the testing failed? Who should I call if it doesn't work?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:Who should I call if it doesn't work?
Ghostbusters?
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks John.

I had heard from ONE source that there was going to be a shut down of all communications as a test. I found that difficult to believe. I would hope that telephone circuits to 911, emergency pagers around "old timers" necks, and such would continue to function.

We'll see.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
At least one of our local stations is showing PSAs (Public Service Announcements) telling what's going to happen and when.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote