Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
ATM banking

We are from Illinois and are in Florida for 3 months. I need to make a deposit to my checking account and cannot access a deposit feature at any of the bank or credit union ATMs I have tried. I talked to our banker and our banks credit card department and they don't know why.

My son thinks there is something in the interstate banking regs that prevent it. Short of mailing my deposit in does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dick and Louise,
We have had to use and do some "creative" things to get funds from one account to another. But we've always managed to get things done. If NONE of the ATMs will do what you want then it is probably easiest to simply go the snail mail route and send the deposit directly to your bank.

We've put funds in our kids accounts and then had them do a transfer to our account. Heck why not open an account in FL if you're there that long? Then put it in one account and transfer it to the one you want.

With all the electronic funds processing done now a days there has to be a way to do it electronically. Good luck and let us know how you finally solve problem. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We routinely deposit checks from wherever we are at...never any "interstate" banking issues. You did not say what bank you use...may very likely be an issue on their end.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I checked on line and found a number of posts that claim the ATM must be in the same system as our bank. Of the ATMs we tried they all claimed to be on our system, Cirrus or Star. I think the posts meant the actual bank. We use a local bank that does not have a national network like Chase. If we can't resolve the problem, I will switch banks to one that is more national than regional. I can't see opening a new checking account every time we decide to stay somewhere for 3 months.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Check with your bank, our C.U. has an online deposit ability. We can scan the check and deposit via the internet. That saves us the problem of locating a bank or credit union while traveling.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
ghskas
Established Member

M.O.C. #10875
I had the same problem last week. Had a large inheritance check that I didnt want lying around and no bank or credit union would accept the deposit, at the ATM or Teller. Had it sent overnight to my daughter who deposited it for me. The banks couldnt give me a reason other than they didnt have an agreement with my bank. They all are star or sirius. Even the banks that have offices near home couldnt help me. They would give me all the money I wanted but wouldnt take mine.
ghskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Dick,
I think you have the correct interpretation about it needing to be your actual banks' ATM. I asked two of my financial institutions about deposits from any ATM. Got the same answer. When on the road most of my journal entries are debits. No more checks than I get on the road I would just snail mail it. Jim
Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dick and Louise-- Emailing you direct on this!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
We have found through our local credit union the only way is to directly deposit in there account. Checks we have gotten have been sent snail mail to credit union. But we have now discovered that USAA banks that I can join will take a scaned check for deposit. Believe thats they way we are going to go.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
We use USAA Bank for all our banking, and to make deposits on the road we take a picture of the front and back with signature on our iPhone with a USAA iPhone App for immediate deposit. They confirm right on the app that it's a good deposit and we have never had a problem. This is available for deposits up to $5000, over that limit can be done by mail and we have done that also using overnight delivery and the deposit is
confirmed upon receipt. Can't say enough good things, a great bank!

Betty and Paul
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Banking is getting to be less than simple. There are probably better ways, but this is what we are doing as full timers. Wells Fargo bought Wachovia Bank, so the are virtually nation wide. We keep a checking account with them because usually I can find a branch of either of these banks wherever we travel.

The bulk of my savings, CD's, and interest checking is with Ally Bank, a totally online bank. If I need a physical deposit, I do so in my WF acct. and then transfer to Ally. I do that because Ally pays higher interest than most other banks on checking and money market accts.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote