Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #41
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Michelle, you and Ann are also invited out to Nebraska for the Central Plains Regional Rally in July! Come on out and enjoy the "Good Life" of Nebraska and all of it's variety of scenery,foods, and fun. We also have a lot to see here too!
I agree with you Joe, fishing is work! I'd rather sit around the Monte, inside or out, and enjoy the joys of nature that way, however! I know I'll catch some flack on that one!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #42
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Rondo, We'll have to see. Just mapped it out and it's a 1000 miles, but were are open. Hope to make it to the Eastern Rally in Maine, the big fall rally in Goshen, and maybe the Great Lakes if one gets organized. We're also members of a local Good Sam chapter so we have numerous trips planned with them too. We still need to place another one or two of our retired show cats (American Shorthair Silver Tabbies) the rest will travel with us as six is too many to have running around in the Monty.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #43
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Uh, back to the original topic for just a sec... Did I understand that they do make a Bedsaver for the Superglide hitch?
Hard to see how that could work since the hitch head obviously moves and turns. Checking their website...
EDIT: OK, now I see how it works with the Superglide! Pretty cool...adding it to the "List"!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #44
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike-- Secret Agents need to come to the MOC Central Plains Regional Rally also to talk to Blue Ox and maybe have one put on when they come to visit us at the Rally! OK, back to the topic!!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #45
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
I am thinking about adding a bedsaver to my rig. I see some folks have had "incidents" where they have used theirs accidently. Blue Ox states their device must be replaced if involved in an incident. Just FYI...
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #46
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sniperduce

I am thinking about adding a bedsaver to my rig. I see some folks have had "incidents" where they have used theirs accidently. Blue Ox states their device must be replaced if involved in an incident. Just FYI...
Really? I will look into that, but I wonder why. The thing is built like an anvil

I forgot to thank you for the post, appreciate the update.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #47
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Ours is fine. Don't see the need to replace...it is strong as an...hmmmm...Ox!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #48
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lawyers at work again, making life safer for the businessman, I presume.

"Your BedSaver™ should be inspected for damage after each incident. NOTE: An incident
is defined as any time a BedSaver™ catches your trailer.
Special Messages Definitions:
“NOTE” provides enhancement information pertinent to the specific step of the procedure
being undertaken.
“CAUTION” indicates a potential hazard exists that could result in damage to the tow vehicle,
fifth wheel trailer or the fifth wheel hitch.
“WARNING” indicates a potential hazard exists that could result in personal injury, or death.
Assumptions
Before installing the Blue Ox Bedsaver please verify the fifth wheel hitch you have is installed
properly.

Ozz note: This was added to the instructions;

If the bedsaver is in a incident, it must be replaced. DO NOT use it again! An incident
can cause unseen damage and using it again could result in more damage or serious
injury. DO NOT use the bedsaver if it is damaged or missing parts."
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #49
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As I said I "tested" mine and while at the Central Plains Regional Rally last July I talked to the rep that was there for the session and he checked mine out and said there was no problem with mine. However, he did check JPKelpe's bedsaver and his had dropped extremely hard on the catch. His had to be replaced. Paul and Jan did get a discount on the new unit and it was installed on site. I don't know what the problem was and maybe Jan or Paul will jump in here and fill us in on theirs. The only thing that happened to mine was the paint got scratched a little where the pin slid across into the catcher. Easily taken care of!
CasaDelSol-- if you are in the area or if you see any of the Blue Ox people at an RV event you're attending, I'd have them check your unit just to be safe. If you dropped your unit, it could have weakened the catch or possibly the bolts.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #50
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
I might as well add my 2cents worth. Hate to admit but did forget to chalk once when arriving late in Mystic Conn. a few years back. I now could thank myself for investing in the bedsaver. When I pulled the pin I saw the trailer going back. But it stopped short of the truck bed. Bed saver is a cheap investment
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #51
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
There is a good reason to replace the BedSaver after an accident. The BedSaver has welds and bolts that might have been stretched beyond it's "elastic" range because of the dynamic force applied during the trailer dropping on the BedSaver. When a load/force is applied to steel, welds and steel bolts, they will always bend back to their original position unless the force is so great that the steel is pushed beyond it's "elastic" range. Once it goes beyond the elastic range, the steel will no longer have it's original strength and will no longer bend and recover. The same applies to welds. Every time a trailer falls on a Blue Ox BedsSaver, depending on the size of the trailer and circumstances, a different dynamic load is applied to the BedSaver. Probably 90% of the time the BedSaver can be reused. But for their own liability and our safety, Blu Ox recommends to replace the device. I for one, will do what Blue Ox recommends and replace the unit, just to be sure.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #52
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Wow Steve-- sure couldn't tell you are a retired engineer!! You hit the nail on the head in the way of stress! That's what the Rep told me while he was at the Central Plains Rallly last summer. Since I did mine intentionally but I did mine very slowly and there was no actual "hard" drop like those that come unhitched accidently and drop to the Bedsaver and "jerk" on the catcher and the bolts holding the Bedsaver to the hitch.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #53
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Excellent point on the bedsaver in the event it gets used in a hard drop. In any case, it should still be cheaper to replace a bedsaver than the truck bed rails. The discount sounds good from the vendor to help "soften" the blow.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #54
Lucas

M.O.C. #13695
Bed saver as mentioned is a great investment. I have needed one and did not have it....twice.

No matter what the reason, it is an expensive mistake even if there is no personal injury. Best money I ever spent towing.
Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote