Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #21
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
John,

My slides all go out fine. It is when I try to retract the large slide is when I have the problem. Two small one come in fine, the large one will not move until I add fluid. Switch just "clicks" until I add fluid then it starts moving in slowly. Once the fluid reserve fills up (while the slide is coming in) it overflows. I can't measure the amount of the overflow but it looks like about the same amount that I put in the tank to get the slide moving. I only have one valve contol knob and have never used it to isolate slides. I need to pull the manual out and see how to work it. Thanks for the suggestions.

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #22
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
These are just my thoughts IMHO.

I agree with the "closed system" theory. Don't all the slides use "double acting" hydraulic cylinders? And isn't the same cylinder that pulls a slide in used to push the slide back out? The only difference in the "pull" vs "push" action is which end of the cylinder is getting the fluid pressure applied. The "volume" of fluid in this type of "closed" system should not change. When the fluid is pumped into one end of a cylinder it is, at the same time, being pushed out the other end and back into the reservoir where it can then be sucked out by the pump to be applied under pressure to the cylinder that you are trying to move. The fluid level should never change in the reservoir. I agree that if the fluid level in the reservoir is lowering while the pump is running and applying pressure to any cylinder then this should indicate that the volume of the system is changing. The only way that the volume can change on a closed system is for a cylinder to get bigger (swell up) and I don't think that is happening, or for a hose to get longer and I don't think that is happening, or for a hose to swell up with a knot on it. I may be all wet with this theory of mine; but, a hose swelling up gets my vote. I would locate the hose that is having pressure applied to it on the long slide, try to move it in the direction that is having the problem, then stop when the problem occurs and check the entire length for a bulge. Another thought, when the fluid starts to lower in the reservoir, and before you have added any more fluid, have you tried to gently "bump" the switch just a little in the opposite direction, just until the slide starts to move, to see if the fluid level comes back up to full in the reservoir. This might prove that the hose had a bulge in it, since the valve being opened in the opposite direction would allow the fluid pressure to drop on the buldging hose and allow the return of the extra fluid back to the reservoir.

This has just been a lot of "thinking out loud" on my part. I hope it helps.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
After reading last post by the OP it appears the problem is NOT with the fluid but simply the same old problem with the relays/fuses. Put in a heavier relay and the problem should go away. I don't think it is a fluid problem. Of course he could have the hose problem but I doubt it.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #24
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
HamRad,
I don't understand, how does a faulty fuse/relay cause the fluid level to drop in a closed system?
Not wanting to argue, just trying to understand. Thanks.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:14 AM   #25
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Re the OP's title for this thread. That fluid is going somewhere...you have a leak. You'll have to drop the bottom cover to get to all the lines.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #26
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Fluid level in the reservoir will change some, due to the fluid displacement by the cylinder rod when the slides are in. Seems the rod is 3/4" IIRC. However, OP was having to add fluid, then when retracting the slides, the reservoir was running over. I must say though, if the reservoir was not getting low enough for the pump to suck air, and he was adding oil, there may be another problem. It's hard to properly diagnose a system when you can't really see what is going on.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote