Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
40 AMP fuse

At the of the year at the dealer I raised my landing jacks too high and I popped the 40 AMP fuse. I have read about that happening before. Here we are 6 weeks later and raising the jacks I popped the replacement fuse. This time I don't think I raised the landing gear too high. Luckily the dealer had given me a spare fuse. When I installed the new fuse the landing gear went up with out any further problems.

Beside raising the landing gear too high what else would cause the fuse to pop? Should I be concerned about this?

As a side note the only place I was able to find replacement 40 AMP fuses was at an RV Dealer parts department.

Grant aka BirdingRVer

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Grant,
Quick reversal of the landing gear will also pop the fuses. There is a long winded electrical explanation, but in summary if the motors are reversed without allowing them to stop, they will blow the fuse. I know this from personal experience!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Thanks Bingo,

I don't think I reversed the motor but, I can't be sure.

Grant aka BirdingRVer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Grant,
Quick reversal of the landing gear will also pop the fuses. There is a long winded electrical explanation, but in summary if the motors are reversed without allowing them to stop, they will blow the fuse. I know this from personal experience!!
Bingo
Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When we first picked up our new rig it was suggested that I take a Sharpee and put a mark about an inch down the leg and never take the legs farther than that mark thus avoiding that problem. So far so good. The other reason for the mark is that you can shear off the shear pin. I also picked up 4 extra 40s and just tape them on the inside of the fuse panel door... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thats strange - I reverse mine all the time and it has never popped the fuse. If I momentarily let up on my remote key fob button it will instantly reverse the motor (unfortunate design of mine). It worries me when it does that, but it has never blown a fuse.

That is a pretty big load going through that motor Grant, and there are folks that say it happens all the time and others that it never happens. I don't have an explanation, but I would just carry a few spares with you to make sure it doesn't ruin your trip. I started doing that with the 40A fuse from my truck to the trailer, and as soon as I put the spare fuses in the glovebox it never blew a fuse again
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Grant,
Sometimes, if the motor gets too warm (like when you have to raise the front quite a bit to attain level fore and aft) the fuse will pop. What I do in these instances of having to raise the front a long ways, I stop and let the motor cool down a little. Hasn't popped since.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Is that fuse in the box with the others? Or is it in the front?
What kind of fuse is it? I guess I better get a couple just in case.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I painted mine when they were up (not all the way either) with just a little to spair going up, then painted them blackthen when you extend them there will be a line to use as a referance to stop.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Maybe they don't do it anymore but on my rig's driver side landing leg there is a white background sticker with RED letters that says "STOP". We always stop when we reach the top of this sticker.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Is that fuse in the box with the others? Or is it in the front?
What kind of fuse is it? I guess I better get a couple just in case.
The fuse is in-line from the motor to the switch. You have to trace it out because it is not readily seen just by looking.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I popped fuses twice last week when I had to raise the landing gear extra high because of the slope of the ground under the landing gear. First time I've popped the fuses in the 10 months we've had our rig.

I seem to have missed something somewhere on 40 amp fuses. The fuse in my landing gear is a 30 amp "dagger" type fuse. What's with the 40 amp fuses? Is this something Lippert/Keystone has switched to, or is this something people are doing so that you don't pop fuses so often?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Replace the fuse with a circuit breaker as they will reset by themselves. You can get 40 amp breakers. You can also use a 50 amp.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Meanwhile, are they spade type fuses or glass tube fuses? We've never blown one of those, either. I thought ours had auto resetting circuit breakers but apparently not?

As for painting the legs, all three of our Montanas came from the factory with black on part and silver on the rest. When the black is to the opening it's time to stop. I thought all Montanas had the same thing. I guess I was wrong again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 AM   #14
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I never noticed paint or warnings on the legs our 2006, maybe I never had them extended far enough. How do you know how far to extend the legs without overextending them in order to mark the leg? Hope my question is not too far off topic.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You can get those 40 amp in line fuses at any auto parts store.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nailbender

I never noticed paint or warnings on the legs our 2006, maybe I never had them extended far enough. How do you know how far to extend the legs without overextending them in order to mark the leg? Hope my question is not too far off topic.
When you stop seeing more holes in the inner leg coming out of the outer leg then you are approaching the end. Actually, it goes quite a ways after the last hole. I've never run it all the way out but it would be worth doing just to find and mark it just before the max length.

My comment about the paint was in reference to retracting the legs, not extending. Maybe I misunderstood?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Steve, It was early when I posted and only had half a cup of coffee. I was thinking that over extending the legs would cause a fuse to blow. It probably would be good to mark both the top and bottom of the leg.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
rware
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6849
when we took delivery of our 3075 last october the landing gear fuse
kept blowing for the pdi guy. it was a 20 amp fuse. he took it out
and said it should be 30 amp. he replaced it and worked ok until we
got to our campground that night. the next morning when we went to
hookup, the fuse blew. the little store at the campground had a
pack of 30 amp fuses. we used up the whole pack on the way home.
after getting home i looked closer at the fuse holder and it said
use 40 amp fuse. i tried to get them at camping world, pep boys,
ace hardware and several other places to no avail. then found them
at radio shack. haven't blown one since but am carefull not to
over extend or hold the switch too long.
rware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #19
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Like David and Joanna indicate, our 3400RL has a 30 amp inline fuse that we too replaced due to going to far up on the sabilizers.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #20
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

You can get those 40 amp in line fuses at any auto parts store.
I tired Auto parts store, Radio Shack and Camping World. I only found them at an RV Dealer that sold Montanas.