Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
jerrygering
Established Member

M.O.C. #7210
shades

What is experience with standard pull down shades on Montana, mine is less than 1 year string is worn out. I like the present shades but am concerned about how often replacement is due and whether to switch to venetian type blinds.

jerrygering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Jerry, you must have gotten some bad string in those shades. Our unit is 3 years old and have not had any problem with the string.
There is a problem when you raise and lower the curtains and you don't do it evenly.. THEN YOU GOT PROBLEMS.. Are all your curtains doing the same thing? I don't know how old your rig is, but it may be something your dealer should look into.
safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Our unit is only 8 months old but have one shade on the side at the rear that won't last much longer so will need to get it replaced before the warranty runs out.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Never know when they're gonna go! I was going to close one of the blinds by the dining table. Well, I have a mess now. Guess I'll see how hard they are to restring.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've messed up so many pull down shades that I'm no longer allowed to touch them. DW does all of the adjusting up and down.
Works for me!
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
ghomer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3690
I had the same problem with the shade at the dinete. I was able to get string from an upholstry shop and restring the shade in about an hour.
ghomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
mvg
Established Member

M.O.C. #3870
We called the manufacturer of the shades. They were very helpful. They said that strings tend to shred because the shades are installed too tight against the window. You need to unscrew the doohickey at the bottom and just let out maybe a half inch of string.
mvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
MVG who is the manufacturer of the shades? Do u have a phone #?
Our dinette shade has had it!!! We need to replace it. I have come to dislike the day/nite shades! They are a pain!
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Syplace, I am with you. I am beginning to despise these day/nite shades. First, I am so darn short that Bernie has to raise and lower the shades on the far walls of the slides. Basically, I can only reach the shades on the side windows of the slides. They are as difficult as a teenager and a toddler combined! I have threatened to rip them out and replace them with mini blinds. Wonder if I get the ones that are remote control? Hmmm, Bernie likes buttons. I'll see!!!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The D/N shade in The PC area of our 3400 came apart. Called the company and they sent us a re string kit. I would not even attempt that so Helen did it. She found that Keystone did not install the shades properly..anywhere..they are screwed into the wall. She is now checking all the D/N shades and they are ALL installed improperly causing such things as the curtains coming unraveled because the lower brackets are improperly placed putting undue stress on the material and the tension adjusters are not installed as per factory instructions.. Cost and time effective installation by Keystone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
rnap50
Established Member

M.O.C. #4870
I had one of mine brake to had to put a new string in it when we had it apart found that there was one of the plastic grommet missing where the string slides over metal which cause the problem. Made one the shade now is fine.
rnap50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We called the manufacturer of the shades. They were very helpful. They said that strings tend to shred because the shades are installed too tight against the window. You need to unscrew the doohickey at the bottom and just let out maybe a half inch of string"

Very true and note our post above.keystone installs the shades and they do a" cost effective" job.Helen restrug a shade and said it was not a big deal....as long as instructions were followed.... which is why she did it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #13
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
Check out this website for repair parts and information.

www.dirtyblindman.com
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:53 AM   #14
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Can someone please post the Shade Manufacturer info?
Also, provide more specific "how to" info on your "fixes' to the problems with the original installation?

This is another irritating example of missing "owner" information, not provided by Keystone. Its not in the Owners Manual, nor are the Shade/Blind manufacturer 'instructions'. I've never bought new blinds/shades that didn't come with a little folded up instruction sheet...

THANKS!
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote