Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
What lubricant to use for slides & seals?

I am planning to lubricate the slides and seals on our 2007 Big Sky and wanted to make sure I used the right product as a friend told me the product he used attracted dirt and caused more problems than it solved. I recall reading some posts where people recommended using dry silicone spray but also seemed to recall someone urging the use of special products from CW marketed specifically for slides and seals. Tried the search engine, but no luck.

So just what lubricant should I use for the slides and the seals? Any tips on just how to apply the lubricant--i.e., just where on the slides should I put it? Do I try to pull the wiper seals on the sides of the slide back so that I can spray on both the inside and outside surfaces of the wiper seals, or just spray the outside? Any other seals to spray other than the wiper seals on the sides of the slides?

I'm also having a problem with the seals on the inside of the slides leaving black marks on the side of the rig, apparently due to black rubber getting transferred to the side of the rig when the slides are in and the seals are pressed up hard against the outside of the rig. Will a lubricant on the seals take care of this problem? If not, is there something I can do to alleviate the problem?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I been using 303 for several years now.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree with Murf. Aerospace Protectant 303 seems to work well for us.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I use Thetford Slide Out Rubber Seal Conditioner for the slide seals and Roadmaster LUBEmaster heavy duty Silicone RV Lube for the gears under the slide.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
303 works as well any silicone spray. I spray it every where...on all the moving parts, rubber, etc. The product that attracts dirt and crud is WD 40. It is fine for breaking loose frozen nuts, etc, buy not as a lubricant.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
One can use baby powder on the slide seals as well. Helps keeping things moving without attracting the sand and dirt.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
David,

The 303 protectant is pretty wonderful for slides and all kinds of other surfaces. I spray it on a rag on the seals and rub it with a clean rag. You can tell if you are getting both surfaces, they get slick and it is easy to see the UV protectant go on. It is real easy to apply just rub/spray it on and wipe it off. I have never noticed it attracting any dirt.

Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/cefbe

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Robbie,
How many days till the big spring rally in Tucson?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Charlie,

I am so glad you asked!

There are exactly 124 days until the MOC North American Spring Rally!

If you know of anyone who is considering being there, have them sign up as soon as possible. Joy is trying to reserve the spots for the late comers, but the time is running out ...and she has an uphill battle....Let's get the word out to help this wonderful lady who is trying to help us.

....and on topic, the gallon jug of 303 is way cheaper than the small bottle in the long run.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I also use a rag. Spray Silicone on the rag and grab the seal and wipe it down. I don't use all that much, so I don't wipe it dry. My opinion is that when you wipe it off you are removing what you just tried to accomplish. Now if you were to leave it on for several hours to a day, you may have residual in the seal. (Is it porous?)Never use an oil base product (wd-40) for any rubber products. It will cause a much faster deteriation.

Semper Fi!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote